Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - transmission identification--350
View Single Post
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2002, 02:23 PM
jvenice jvenice is offline
New Member
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 21
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it is just a regular production option (RPO) code. Is it a 350C (lockup)? They started making them in 1980. If you are trying to identify the transmission you should check the 1-2 accumulator cover. This would mean it is a Buick built 350 69-72. Codes on the governor cover mean it is a Buick built 350 or 375B 73-81. If it is a Chevy built 350 the code should be stamped directly beneath the oil pan flange on the oil pan for 69-72 and either on the governer cover or pan for 73 and later. The second digit should be a number corresponding to the last digit of the year (ie 5 = 75 or 85). 82 and later Buick built 350Cs the code is stamped on a riveted plate last 2 digits being year. The only problem for all of these codes is that they can be removed and replaced. If you find a code and placement. I can probably decipher it. Not a VIN code though which is stamped into the case. The only way to truly know is to know the car or take it apart and inspect the parts. Hope this confusing info helped.
Reply With Quote