Transmission Identification Help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 09:19 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Transmission Identification Help

Looking to replace the transminssion in my 94 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with one of the many that I have spied at the local pick n pull. There are many to choose from due to the C.A.R.S. program. They destroyed the motors but left everything else alone so its not a bad place to look for parts. Anyway, I'm not real sure how to tell a A500 from an A518. I would like to take a transmission off of a Durango or even possibly a Grand Cherokee because they have a couple of these models which have less than 100,000 miles and all the Dakotas have between 160,000 and 230,000. At present my truck has 216,000 miles but the motor only has about 60,000 and is still strong. Is there some way to recognize the difference by just looking at the trans from below or maybe by looking at the vin #? Any help please!!! Don;t want to bring home the wrong one.....especially since I have to pull it myself.
Thanks for any ideas
Howard

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2009, 01:48 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

www.car-part.com
Old 11-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

The link wasn't helpful at all for identification purposes for the original poster, me either. . .

I did a short search on Google and found the following image comparing a few Dodge transmissions. Several other links can be found on how to read the ID number and decode it to find out what you have, but not being a Dodge guy meant more work than I thought necessary when the original poster can do the same.

This doesn't look really helpful to me but I'm not a Dodge guy.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

the A500 is based of the 904 trans line... same pan shape-design.

the 518 is based off the 727 trans .. same pan design - shape.

the 518 will have a 8 pin round black plastic plug.. I have no photos ,sorry
Old 11-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Here's a link to a site that has pics of the 518, but sadly none of the 500 both are listed at this link provided.

http://www.charlietranny.com/Chrysler.htm
Old 11-06-2009, 08:00 PM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

Try this picture along with the diagram above. or go to this link to view: http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...identification

Far left is 518, far right is 500
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mopar_Automatic_A518_727_904.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	41815  
Old 11-08-2009, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the help

O.K. As far as I can tell the major difference between the A500 and the A518 is the length. The 518 is 1/2 inch longer. The 8 pin round electrical connection is on the electronic unit and the hydraulic unit has a round 3 pin electrical connection. Both are four wheel drive compatible. The later model Dakotas eventually switched to the electronic 518. I found an early model Grand Cherokee with the same 3 pin connection as my Dakota. I hope the length is the same after attaching my transfer case. Will the 1/2 inch make that much difference? I don't know that now, but I will soon find out. If it matters then I will have to take it back. Anyways, Thanks for unlocking my brain and giving me some other informational options. Sometimes these computers forget that we're only human and they offer us too many options to choose from. Picking one sometimes leads to the never ending black hole of confusion, and once you get sucked in every answer leads to more questions until eventually you end up like Elmer Fudd wandering around with that "silly yah but" look of confusion. Until next time, and there will be a next time because I own a Dodge, Thanks again
Old 11-10-2009, 02:50 AM

Wiki Edits: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by trblmker
Looking to replace the transminssion in my 94 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with one of the many that I have spied at the local pick n pull. There are many to choose from due to the C.A.R.S. program. They destroyed the motors but left everything else alone so its not a bad place to look for parts. Anyway, I'm not real sure how to tell a A500 from an A518. I would like to take a transmission off of a Durango or even possibly a Grand Cherokee because they have a couple of these models which have less than 100,000 miles and all the Dakotas have between 160,000 and 230,000. At present my truck has 216,000 miles but the motor only has about 60,000 and is still strong. Is there some way to recognize the difference by just looking at the trans from below or maybe by looking at the vin #? Any help please!!! Don;t want to bring home the wrong one.....especially since I have to pull it myself.
Thanks for any ideas
Howard
Most Dakotas used a case UNIQUE to the Dakotas. Most transmissions out of other applications will NOT fit a Dakota UNLESS you re-case them into your old case.

Parts between 500s and 518s generally do not interchange, so you cannot re-case one into the other.

If you find a transmission that will work but has the wrong overdrive section, you can swap the whole overdrive assembly as a unit. Note that the transmission must be correct compared to yours, or the OD assembly may not fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
the A500 is based of the 904 trans line... same pan shape-design.

the 518 is based off the 727 trans .. same pan design - shape.

the 518 will have a 8 pin round black plastic plug.. I have no photos ,sorry
Early 500s and 518s used a yellowish 2 or 3 pin plug. These are governor controlled.

Late 500s and 518s used a black 8 pin plug. These are electronically controlled.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.