transmission leaking - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2002, 03:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post transmission leaking

i have a th350 in a 85 silverado. it is leaking from the back of the tailshft, where the input shaft is. i can see clean metal on the input shaft were it looks like it has pulled out of the tailshaft about 1.5 inches. the transmission still works fine and only leaks right after the truck is turned off. i have lowered the truck and the rear seems to sit a little lower than the front. i was able to disconnect the driveshaft at the rear end and push the input shaft in were it normally should be. if lower the front more to level it off should this leak stop or do i have a totally different problem.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2002, 03:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

That shiny part of the yoke shaft is normal due to slip joint movement. You may have a bad rear seal which is easy to fix. Pull out the yoke, pop out the old seal with a big screwdriver , and put in a new one. You may also have a problem with fluid level if your tranny tilts too far rearward. There is a little weep hole in the back of the yoke to vent pressure as it slips back and forth and if fluid fills to that level, it will leak out there even if you have a good rear seal.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:32 PM

i am pretty sure it is the seal. the truck sits pretty level no more than .5 inch difference from bumber to bumper on the truck. does the yoke pull right out when the drive shaft is removed and i am assuming the seal is pretty obvious after that. never replaced one before.
Old 12-17-2002, 04:01 PM
banned

umm if it is weeping (just slowely absorbs into the dirt and stuff) it is okay otherwise pull the thing out and change the rear seal ( don't know much about auto trannies)
Old 12-17-2002, 04:27 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Put a catch pan under the tail shaft cause fluid will leak out when the yoke is pulled. Remove the old seal with a seal puller if you have one, if not, use a screwdriver/pry bar carefully. Once the seal is out, slide the yoke back in and see if there is much up/down/side/side play. If so, remove the tailshaft housing and replace the bushing. If you have not done this before, take the tail shaft to a Tranny repair shop and ask them to replace your bushing and seal, since these need to go in very straight and they have the special tools and know how to do the job right. Watch and learn so you can handle the next one(cheap lesson) If there is a gasket between the tail shaft housing and tranny housing, ask for one while you are there. Replace and you are good to go after reservicing the tranny fluid level.

Trees

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.