Transmission is leaking at speedo cable - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2013, 01:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Transmission is leaking at speedo cable

Transmission is leaking at speedometer cable. first issue was the TV cable was not installed and transmission did not leak. brought it to the shop that rebuilt the transmission and who forgot to install the TV linkage. They dropped the pan. installed linkage for TV cable and new cable. the pan was put back on. I then drove home. parked car in the garage. A few days later i noticed it was leaking. found its leaking at speedo cable. changed gear and housing. still leaking. this is on a 1969 pontiac firebird 350

because i had no leaking issues prior to the pan being removed. It must be related to the last work that was done.

Any advise would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013, 02:12 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bird-leaking View Post
Transmission is leaking at speedometer cable. first issue was the TV cable was not installed and transmission did not leak. brought it to the shop that rebuilt the transmission and who forgot to install the TV linkage. They dropped the pan. installed linkage for TV cable and new cable. the pan was put back on. I then drove home. parked car in the garage. A few days later i noticed it was leaking. found its leaking at speedo cable. changed gear and housing. still leaking. this is on a 1969 pontiac firebird 350

because i had no leaking issues prior to the pan being removed. It must be related to the last work that was done.

Any advise would be great.
If it's really leaking at the speedo cable, that's unrelated to the pan being dropped. There are two O-rings that seal at the speedo cable. One is on the outside of the speedo cable adapter that seals the adapter to the case. The other is on the INSIDE of the adapter and seals the adapter to the speedo driven gear. Most people overlook the latter and the leak isn't fixed.

Also, unless your trans has been replaced with a later model OD trans, it doesn't have a TV cable. It's a TH350 and that's a kickdown cable. It looks like a TV cable, but the function is different.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:02 PM

Last photo:

If you changed the housing did you push the inside o-ring down inside? Some housings don't come with it pushed in, just at the outer lip.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:42 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

And when installing new orings be sure to lube them
Old 12-16-2013, 08:19 AM

Last photo:

If you need a new adapter entirely; it is GM P/N 345215 and comes with the inner seal, check to make sure its seated correctly. Sometimes the outer o-ring is included; sometimes not. It is a standard SAE "115." Your hardware store should have one. As stated above; make sure you lube it lightly and when you install it, make sure it doesn't tear.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:20 AM

I still have the original transmission case. I did change out the speedometer gear and housing with another one from a 1969 firebird. It just seems strange that I went several months with no leaks. then the kickdown cable was installed. the pan was removed and installed again. took the car home and put it away. then notice later it was leaking.
I have read about breather being blocked or if gasket was installed incorrectly. As I have no experience that is why I made this post.
I will look online for the parts mentioned. I have to purchase everything online as I am an american with a 1969 firebird convertible who lives in the middle east. I've had the car for 24 years. brought it here 5 years ago. I work a a US military base. no professional hardware stores. just local ones that don't carry US sizes and parts.

Tags
at speedo cable, transmission leaks

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.