Hot Rod Forum banner

transmission lineage

2K views 25 replies 4 participants last post by  Roadz 
#1 ·
I installed a 700-R4 tranny in my '73 Z28.
Lookin' to find out in what GM vehicle this tranny was originally installed.
The numbers on the case are:
8663549 and 1LA123316
Can anyone help decifer these numbers? Which is actually the serial number?
Thanks.

#2 ·
Transmission

This trans has been used since 1982 in cars and trucks. The bast way to decide which linkage to use in my opinion would be what measures best for your needs. Its to difficult to answer this question with any other reply with so many uses from this trans sorry. So just measure and make a good hypothetical guess or go aftermarket if you are not worried about it being stock.

#3 ·
misrepresentation

Thanks EVESTR.
Reading your response tells me I created some confusion. I am not looking for linkage, I'm looking for lineage. What car/truck did my 700-R4 come from? Can anyone answer that question for me based on the numbers from my original thread?

#4 ·
Roadz said:
Thanks EVESTR.
Reading your response tells me I created some confusion. I am not looking for linkage, I'm looking for lineage. What car/truck did my 700-R4 come from? Can anyone answer that question for me based on the numbers from my original thread?
After taking a look at the bit of info I have on the 700R4/4L60/4l60E, the codes you list (1LA123316) seem to indicate a '91 date, but after that there should be 3 (not 2) letters indicating what the vehicle was, etc.

So, you sure the numbers are correct, and are they STAMPED numbers? You might do a search for where the stamped numbers that are needed, are located.

#5 ·
Thanks for replying cobalt327.

The numbers are stamped into the case.
The number 1 after the letter 'A' may be an I (eye). It isn't the best stamp I've run across. Would that indicate a specific vehicle?

I'll do more homework on my end too.

Thanks again.

#9 ·
Roadz said:
Thanks for your time and effort.

ROADZ
You saw this? http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/images/bulk/TH700-R4_1.jpg

That's what I'm partially going by- the "1" would indicate "1991", but if that's correct- and the rest of the info here is also correct- there should be a three letter code following the "1".

It's possible that "LAI" is correct, but like I mentioned earlier- I found nothing relating to that three letter code. Perhaps someone else like SSedan64 will have something to add if he sees this thread- he knows these things pretty danged well, AFAIK.

#10 ·
Number

Give me all numbers and where they are located on the trans maybe i can narrow it down for you. Remember always be specific when wanting details. Always start with (all) the numbers first you know the old saying who,what,where,when,why, gives us more to go on and that location of that 1 would be the Month always Month date year Chevy is it may have suffix code in them thanks.

#11 ·
evetsr said:
Give me all numbers and where they are located on the trans maybe i can narrow it down for you. Remember always be specific when wanting details. Always start with (all) the numbers first you know the old saying who,what,where,when,why, gives us more to go on and that location of that 1 would be the Month always Month date year Chevy is it may have suffix code in them thanks.
Numbers in post #1. AFAIK he doesn't have any others.

#12 ·
I'll raise the car today and see if I can find out where the numbers are. I installed the tranny in '05 so some of the brain cells from back then have been fried.
I looked briefly the other day before writing my thead but the headers were in the way and I had limited access. I'll get it way up today.

Thanks evestr

#14 ·
evetsr said:
There are More numbers on this trans Period! GM never made a turbo 400 or turbo 350 without at least 3 sets of numbers unless the trans is stolen and numbers were filed off. then you look under the pan.
This is a TH700R4, the location of the numbers I want are shown in the link I provided above.

I don't know if you are just having a bad day, or difficulty keeping up, or are just winging it- but please don't try to help unless you know what you're talking about- it's bad enough as it is.

#15 ·
with those

It is with some of that number HD heavy Duty Tag will not reflect common with 396 400 427 454 government. it says. This would have been a special order trans for yr 81 if it has CG in the vin and what ever was behind it had 390 HP Chevy, Monte Carlo, Chevelle, Police as i stated Police. It does not matter what it is, it is a TH400 all the same except heavy duty has a stronger Bell housing and a little shift difference in police issue, trucks had same shift as police. All parts are interchangeable. Does this help? Now for what it was exactly in without vin????????????????????? you guess is good as mine. Good luck.

#16 ·
Last time...

evetsr said:
It is with some of that number HD heavy Duty Tag will not reflect common with 396 400 427 454 government. it says. This would have been a special order trans for yr 81 if it has CG in the vin and what ever was behind it had 390 HP Chevy, Monte Carlo, Chevelle, Police as i stated Police. It does not matter what it is, it is a TH400 all the same except heavy duty has a stronger Bell housing and a little shift difference in police issue, trucks had same shift as police. All parts are interchangeable. Does this help? Now for what it was exactly in without vin????????????????????? you guess is good as mine. Good luck.
I do not know where you are getting any of the "info" you're posting! There is no "396 400 427 454", no "81" anything, no "CG", no "390 HP", no "Monte Carlo, Chevelle, Police", and sure as hell no "TH400". So no, nothing you have said "helps"- at all.

Are you even posting to the thread you think you are posting to? THIS thread's question is regarding a TH700R4- possibly from a '91 vehicle, in a '73 Camaro Z/28, for cripes' sake.

#17 ·
OK guys I've got the real VIN number.
It comes from the location on the case identified in the link provided by cobalt327.

0BPM353H

Hopefully one of you may now be able to identify the original vehicle this tranny was installed in.

Sorry for the confusion with incorrect numbers.

ROADZ

#18 ·
Roadz said:
OK guys I've got the real VIN number.
It comes from the location on the case identified in the link provided by cobalt327.

0BPM353H

Hopefully one of you may now be able to identify the original vehicle this tranny was installed in.

Sorry for the confusion with incorrect numbers.

ROADZ
1990, unsure about what the letters "BP" are- apparently the "M" of "BPM" is just a designation for a TH700R4. The BP part of the code I cannot find, if you had a factory manual you might find the rest of the code meaning. This is a commonly asked- but never answered- question seen throughout many forums when doing a SEARCH, BTW.

The "353" is a Julian date (353'rd day of the year, or December 19 [Dec. 18 if leap year
]) and the "H" is 2nd shift.

In any event it should have the 30 spline input, better sprags, 10 vane pump, etc. and it's among the more desirable ('89-up) trannys to build.

If you happen to find a list of the codes, pls. post it here.

#19 ·
Trans

Someone mentioned in a post (AF AI K) or as it was in post AFAIK which i was assuming (wrong on my part) that they were transmission suffixes And i came up with corresponding uses for these such suffix codes. Clearly abbreviated speech in the attempt to identification of a part or part number has no place here. This is how I deduced all my info now do you see where the data came from. A clearly misread post with abbreviated speech or what ever AFAIK means?

#20 ·
evetsr said:
Someone mentioned in a post (AF AI K) or as it was in post AFAIK which i was assuming (wrong on my part) that they were transmission suffixes And i came up with corresponding uses for these such suffix codes. Clearly abbreviated speech in the attempt to identification of a part or part number has no place here. This is how I deduced all my info now do you see where the data came from. A clearly misread post with abbreviated speech or what ever AFAIK means?
A Far As I Know = AFAIK

#21 ·
evetsr said:
I apologize if my using acronyms tripped you up- this can be confusing when we are also using codes from various parts.

#22 ·
Oh ok AFAIK (as far as i know) Cool got it i hope everyone does not do this i will never be able to help them at all. I just got my first cell phone 3 weeks ago. Yep old school if they need me come see me is about how i am. But grand kids kids well kind of need one today i guess that is what the wife says anyway. Well sorry for the mess up.

#25 ·
evetsr said:
No i will just tell everyone from now on that would like my help to talk in plain english so i understand what they would like. Now wouldn't that be real easy instead of me looking up a made up word? :mwink:
Sure, it would be easier- for YOU! lol

The last exchange I had on this exact same subject:

Silent Madman said:
...i do know my stuff worled on cars and trucks for years do my own work but if you write something could you please quit with the abrerviations
cobalt said:
SBC- small block Chevy
BBC- big block Chevy
HD- heavy duty
DD- daily driver
w/- "with"

Since these acronyms (and many others) are used often and are practically universal on automotive boards and sites, it might be better for you to get up to speed, instead of everyone else writing everything in longhand. At least that's my take on it, YMMV. :mwink:

#26 ·
Thanks cobalt327.

I am a bit suspect of the 'P' in the VIN. The stamp is a bit messed up at that digit. I have attached a photo I took yesterday. It is as good a pic of the VIN as I could get. The upper number is a reflection off a small mirror. The lower number is the real deal as seen from my back

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.