Transmission for ls2 in 62 Nova - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 01:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Transmission for ls2 in 62 Nova

I wanted to know what a good tranny to use in a 62 nova with an GEN VI LS2. I don't want to do too much fabricating but i know i will have to. I would prefer an automatic because the car is going to be for my grandpa and he doesn't like driving stick but if it has to ill go with standard because this is a gift for him because this car used to belong to him and he sold it but me and my dad ran into and bought it back and are now restoring it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2007, 02:44 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

th350 or th400 wouldnt go with a 700r4 havent had much luck at all with them(bolt pattern on the ls series engines are the same as the old chevys right?) or a t56 for manual transmission......but if you can get ahold of the vette for not much more along with the engine why not use the vette transaxle in the nova it be cool and different
Shane
Old 08-08-2007, 03:56 PM

Last photo:

i did get ahold of both but i dont really know what i need to do with it so i can run it with the transaxle but i really want it to be automatic. If no then i will go standard.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:25 PM

did you or can you get the shifter misc linkage etc? Itll be a hydraulic clutch(should be much eazier to operate like pushing a brake pedal instead of forcibaly moving the mechanical linkage) so it wont be like an old style z-bar clutch which can sometimes be stiff
Shane

there would also be a huge wow factor and better weight distrubution http://www.thewarfields.com/HotRodBlogSuspIntro.htm

Last edited by Chevrolet4x4s; 08-08-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:45 AM

Last photo:

I need to check because the junk yard had the engine and trans pulled out already so im not too sure if its on there. I havent looked at it. I can most likely get it because the junk yard owner is my dads friend thats why we got the engine and trans for so cheap.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:27 PM

if you have the space I'd check about bringing the rest of the vette home for the little nickle and dime parts that run you back and forth so much then return it after you get the parts you need with a complete list of the parts you used so you could be billed accordingly.
Shane
Old 08-09-2007, 04:26 PM

4L60E would be an excellent choice. You can get a control box for it pretty cheap and they are a great trans. You can get a cross member that will fit the nova and work with the trans as well pretty easy. You can also get shifters that are made for the swap. The 4L60E came behind a lot of gms so sourcing one will also be easy.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:03 AM

Last photo:

Will the 700R4 fit because i was looking up the tranny and i was wondering if it will fit? Because i have one sitting around and if not then im gonna put the 700 in my caballero and sell my 350turbo and buy the 4L60E.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

Check the www.ls1tech.com forums, esp. the Automatic transmission section there. A lot of guys convert their ls1/ls2 engines to run with older style (non-electronic) transmissions (th350, th400 etc.)

Like the previous poster suggested, I'd recommend the same 4l60e option - you will probably preserve the engine wiring with its PCM. You can have a reliable 4l60e build to handle 400-500hp within $1400-1800 range (I don't know what your budget is).

Regards!
Old 08-10-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatakezetsumei
Will the 700R4 fit because i was looking up the tranny and i was wondering if it will fit? Because i have one sitting around and if not then im gonna put the 700 in my caballero and sell my 350turbo and buy the 4L60E.
You can use the older trannys for sure, if my memory serves me right, one of the bell housing holes is off but I believe its not all the hard to mate the LSX to the older, non electric trans. The 4L60E is a great trans, to bad you were not getting your motor out of a GTO or F-Boby with an auto cause it would be plug and play then.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:12 PM

Last photo:

Well i can try the 700r4 because i have it laying around. But if not i can go out and buy that other transmission. Maybe ill look for a GTO that had an ls2 thats wrecked and take the tranny. Thanks for the help. Im still open for further options because the engine and tranny aint going in soon because all the frame and body work is being done.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:27 PM

How is the build going?
Shane
Old 08-27-2007, 05:00 PM

Last photo:

the 700r4 is what is called a 4l60, basically a 4l60 e with out electrics. so that being said, the 4l60 came behind ls1 cars, camaro firebird, and does have the same bolt pattern. art carr builds a ****** 700r4. i believe he is located at california performance transmissions, and they do have a website and the will build yours for you. you just have to make the tv cable work with the throttle body, lokar makes parts for that. also you can have a lockup converter with a huge stall, i like my monster transmission converter. the lockup kit you can get from them as well. may not be all right but its my two bits
Old 08-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

the early 700 trans needs a spacer for the LS motor crank to converter pilot hub.

The flex plate needs the bolt pattern for the converter re-drillled for the early converter.

I may be missing something. If I do remember it , I post again.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.