Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - transmission mount
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2006, 09:37 AM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
Exactly..... the way it is now...the engine mounts cannot flex so the tranny mount is getting all the force.
I have used solid mounts on the trans in the past with disastrous consequences. Typically the tailshafts are ripped off of the trans.

The best way that I have found so far is with my current setup, which I have used extensively over the years. One vehicle was a '73 Firebird loaded with a Kenne-Belle stroked Buick 455 (492 ci)...solid motor and rubber trans mounts were the only way I could keep the thing together.

We used a cable on another 3rd gen f-body in the same manner as my picture, only it did not have any give and coupled with the rubber motor mounts resulted in the trans being ripped off of the engine. It was quite a sight actually, left about 2" of the bell still bolted to the engine and the rest on the ground.

I do not seem to have any issues with launch, but the 1-2 shift gets me every time. My thought is that with this idea I can have a rigid mount with just enough give to absorb the shock.