Hot Rod Forum banner

Transmission Numbers

2K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  Dclifton32 
#1 ·
I purchased a TH400 from Jegs and need to get the serial number of the transmission but when they rebuilt it they sand blasted the plate and I can't read all the numbers. any recomendations.
Don:(

#2 ·
pictures..

and .. why do you need the ID numbers off the case?? are you ordering more parts for it?? there are few changes inside the TH400 over the decades..

there may be a partial vin number stamped in the case..

Switch pitch.. was one.. TH475 was another..but that's an easy one.. that came out of heavy duty trucks and had straight cut gears..

what ya doing??? there are a bunch of really smart transmission pros on this forum.. i am not one of them.. i only dabble and slip in the ATF on the floor..

#6 ·
You purchased a brand new transmission from a rebuilder, I hate when the states muddle with this stuff, but I see what they're trying to prevent. This is no different than taking your 79 monte carlo to a local garage and they put in a Jasper transmission. I had to talk to a Sheriffs Dept about this because our trans has no GM numbers on it. He was able to use the model number on the ID tag to fill the spot in his paperwork.

Find a small, out of the way DMV, go in early in the morning and talk to a person with some years under their belt. As far as you are concerned, this is a brand new transmission, purchased over the counter. Heck if you bought a new one from GM, it won't have a VIN on it either. They should be able, with the paperwork Jegs supplies, to get this through. The DMV person should be able to give you guidance. If s/he is stumped; contact Jegs, if they're going to sell you a trans...it'd be nice if you could actually use it.
IF the transmission was stolen, its on JEGS, not you

#10 ·
You're still missing the point...You bought it from a transmission builder, we don't normally record such things. If I used a Dedenbear aftermarket case on my powerglide, or an Auto Gear Supercase on my Muncie; or it was a 3spd in a Model A...theres no VIN or serial number

Call Jegs, maybe they can give you a tag number OR you could take it to a trans shop and see if they can 'restore' the stamp by looking at a similar turbo400. Id definitely let Jegs know regardless, so they can have a work-around figured out for you or the next guy.

This homebuilt car thing is a giant can of worms

#11 ·
I talked to them but got no resolve. They have I guess a company blue print and rebuild. When I get the trans the plate has a 1/16" of paint on it. I have the body on the ar now but when I take it back off I will try a little harder to figure out. Just didn't know if someone had a suggestion on being able to see the number better.
Don

#12 ·
I dont think the numbers on that tag are serial numbers, or VIN numbers just a code to indicate what vehicle it came in, I recall guys hunting particular coded transmissions for the Hurst/Olds as they were a unique trans with special guts speced by Hurst. Those trans just had a 2 character code on the plate.

Found this online:
Also, for 1968 and up applications, the VIN derivative will be stamped into the LH side of the transmission, between the two ribs and just above the pan. This will be the same number/letter combination that the engine received

#13 ·
I dont think the numbers on that tag are serial numbers, or VIN numbers just a code to indicate what vehicle it came in, I recall guys hunting particular coded transmissions for the Hurst/Olds as they were a unique trans with special guts speced by Hurst. Those trans just had a 2 character code on the plate.
^^^This!

The tag has no useful info for this purpose. It simply has a two letter code that indicates the useage for a particular year. There would be a VIN derivative stamp on the case that would tell you what it came out of, but only for cases from 1968 and newer. No stamps prior to that. Tell them it is an older case.

#17 ·
FWIW, I recalled that I still had a TH400 in my shop and checked it, there is a VIN number on the case on the drivers side right above the pan rail. Couldnt read the tag, too crusty.
Yours might be a pre 1968 case, I dont know if the cases have date codes or not. In Alabama, anything over 30 years old becomes an antique and the need for titles disappears.

#21 ·
It is and I understand some of it. I have a ways to go before I get to the point of going to get it titled and registered but just don't want to miss something I will need. I'm 67 and have a bad back so my son helps me a lot but it's still going slow. I think if everything was brand new it would be a lot easyer.
Thanks for all the help
Don

#23 ·
Florida doesn't have a safety inspection just a inspection on engine and hopefully not trans. I guess I could rent a place in NC for a couple weeks and get it titled and then move back. I think I will be OK. I remember when you could build a car get it weight and get a title. Remember the sketters, they were a car chassis and motor. I built a trick back in the 70's and it ad a Yamaha front end so I titled it a motorcycle and didn't have to show were my parts came from.
Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.