Hot Rod Forum banner

Transmission Opinions?

2K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Jzagropski 
#1 ·
I have an S10 I'm putting a V8 in not sure what to back it with. I have a Saginaw 3 speed but I saw a company that makes lightning rods like the old Buicks and thought it'd be something different. I've had issues with the 700r4 but the th350 and 400 don't have over drive and I'm not sure if I want to buy a different trans if it doesn't have OD. Anyone have any opinions or thoughts on a reliable gas saving solution that won't break the bank?

#3 ·
I'm installing a V8 either a 305 or 350, basically whatever I come across. The motor and tranny were bad so I bought it for the body. Not sure what the rear has now it's either a 3:73 or higher haven't taken the time to check but I might swap it out if need be I have a 3:73 from a later model s10 with rear disc brakes I might install depending on what tranny I use. If I use the Saginaw I'll probably run a higher gear.

#4 ·
if your hp/tq numbers aint to high consider a nv3500 5speed which come stock in 90s 1500/v6 trucks. Very low 1st/2nd gear.Ive been running one behind a 300hp/300tq for a while and i like it . I think chevy made a special 3500 with the shifter mounted at the back of the casing for blazers and differant gears but you must investigate that you self

#12 ·
I've heard of the gear vendor OD unit but they seem a little pricey and I never knew of anyone who used them. What do you think of it?

I saw a company called kilduff is making a slightly different version of the lighting rods exactly like the Hurst Buicks had and I've always like they way they looked.

And thanks for the info on the NV3500. I think if I go for an OD manual that might be the way to go. At least I'd be able to use all stock parts from an s10 of the same style.

#15 ·
I've heard of the gear vendor OD unit but they seem a little pricey and I never knew of anyone who used them. What do you think of it?

I saw a company called kilduff is making a slightly different version of the lighting rods exactly like the Hurst Buicks had and I've always like they way they looked.

And thanks for the info on the NV3500. I think if I go for an OD manual that might be the way to go. At least I'd be able to use all stock parts from an s10 of the same style.
You must a young fella, too young to remember correctly. Joe posted a nice pic of a Hurst OLDS. Buick never had lightening rod shifters, only the 80's "Hurst" labelled Olds 442. The only thing in common was the 200R4 transmission...

Russ

#14 ·
Looking around Gear Vendors doesn't offer an overdrive unit for Saginaws on their site but other sites say they have Gear Vendor brand OD units for Saginaw or Muncie applications. Anyone know if there's a difference between the trannys for that or not? I might just call up G.V. and ask.

#16 ·
To start, I'm partial to automatics due to the silliness of shifting a 5 speed manual in city traffic - it gets old in a hurry, at least to me.

With your build and application, that you've described, a 200-4R would be my choice with a 700-R4 as a second. The 700 has a very deep 1st gear that is best suited for towing and/or off road (mud) starts. The only reason that I'd lean towards a 700 rather than a 200 would be that they were a minorly bit tougher in stock form than a 200. But if you were planning to buy a fresh build, then I'd head straight for the 200.

#18 ·
I still prefer the 2004r over the 700r4. They are easier to install. It was easy to rebuild and upgrade. It has a center support and the shaft is stronger. It does have its drawbacks, but its gear spacing also is better. The front pump can be upgraded to 10 vanes. Drill out the pressure release and add hardened rings. Upgrade the clutch count and bigger valves in the pump and you got it made. Just make sure you get one from a 86 or later model v-8 vehicle.

#19 ·
Ya Russ I mixed that up a little and no I'm only 23 so I've never even seen lighting rods in person.

As for the 2004r I've only heard about them once or twice before and don't know much about them or the TV cable and how they're set up. Only know my old Impala ate a 700r4 and that was believed to be the reason (out of 4 chevys I had with 700's not one worked well hard shifts, slips, and blowouts). Are the 2004r's much differently setup or about the same? Again I'm looking for the most reliable set up I can build so I can drive it daily for years to come and hopefully get decent mpgs.

#20 ·
They both use the TV cable set up. A lot people like the 700 better because there are so many of them and the parts are a little cheaper because there are so many of them. I prefer the 200 because they are the direct replacement for the 350. I rebuilt my own and went way overboard by rebuilding the pump to 10 vanes, hard steel rings, relieved the pressure passage. Bigger valves for more holding pressure. I added extra clutches in the direct, forward, overrun, and 4th gear. I also used the wider band for second. I'm not worried about burning up mine. Most of the 700s failed for lake of pressure because of small valves in the pump and TV cable not set up properly. The 700 should work if you take the time to set it up and use the pressure gauge to verify. Then check it a couple of time a year with the gauge.

#21 ·
Here is an oddball idea..

Saw this awhile ago -

A833 4 SPEED OVERDRIVE MANUAL TRANS –

75.00 IN MOST JUNK YARDS –

Exploring the New Process A-833 Transmission
A super cheap alternative to an 11" clutch & Muncie / Borg Warner 4speed.
Are you looking to put a tough 4 speed & 11" clutch in your classic GM muscle car?
Did you get sticker shock when you found out what Muncies & 11" bells are going for? The average swap meet price on this set up is as follows:
$400 - $600 for used Muncie or Borg Warner Super T-10
$150 to $250 for a GM 11" bell or used Blow proof.
$20 to $40 for 11" clutch fork
$50 to $100 for usable 11" flywheel.
$75 to $150 for a good used Hurst Shifter

You are looking at spending between $700 & $1100 !

I'll let you in on a little secret. I found a set up which I can purchase at my local Easy Pull Junkyard for a total of $75. No kidding. It's the New Process A 833 4 speed over drive transmission found in 1980 to 85 Chevy 1/2 ton, 2 wheel drive trucks. It comes with an 11" flywheel & bell housing, & Hurst shifter. The transmission has all the same dimensions as a Muncie other that it is a little fatter.

The trans mount, input & output is in the same location as this 68 M20 Muncie.
The only major difference is the position of the ears that bolt to the bell housing.

The shifter is a Hurst and resembles a Competition PLUS with a grease fitting.

TRUCK TRANSMISSION – TOUGH – Ratio is almost the same as a 700r4 –
700r4 – 3.06, 1.63, 1.1, .70
A833 – 3.09, 1.67, 1.1, .73

With 4.10 - 2900 @ 70mph, 3.73 – 2500
With 3.36 - 2000

#22 ·
The trans mount, input & output is in the same location as this 68 M20 Muncie.
The only major difference is the position of the ears that bolt to the bell housing.
Yeah, if you can find one of these, it's a nice choice, but of course, it really means you have a very wide ratio (3.09 first) three speed with OD. Second is 1.67. Essentially, it's got the same gear ratios as the 700-R4.

The bellhousing is unique to this application.

#23 ·
I might have one of these in my 81' c10. Never checked what it was but the bell looks about the same and it is a 3 speed OD with a ridiculously wide ratio. 1st takes me to 20, 2nd to 45, 3rd to 85, 4th to 130, then it get sketchy without swaybars so I have to slow her down.
Always just assumed it was a Muncie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.