Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Transmission and Pinion Angles
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brewmaster1 View Post
Can some one PLEASE set me straight on setting the proper angles on the output shaft of the transmission and pinion. I have read so many discussions about this and it becomes confusing to understand.

1951 Chevy Pick-up, 700R4, leaf springs, 1972 Chevy truck differential.

Everything was fine until I replaced the leaf springs. The original springs were pretty flat and the new ones are bowed properly. I now have a rake to the front end. It now vibrates at 65-70. Previously, I set the transmission at 3* down and the pinion at 3* up and everything was fine. Now, I can't raise the transmission far enough to get to the 3* down position. Currently the transmission is at 7* down. I did not build the truck so I am stuck with what I have. If I raise the transmission any further, I pick up all kinds of rattles and vibrations from the drive line touching the body.

Can I keep the transmission at 7* down and set the pinion at 7* up to cancel harmonics?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
When I set up my cars I set the carb base level.. On a chevy motor with the carb base level it will put the Trans shaft down 3*.. Then depending on what rear suspension and what I will be using the car for...I set it to what I'm using... But your right about 3* down on the trans and 3* up on the pinion.. If your 7* down, Then 7* up should work.. Now.. To be able to set the carb base level you say you will be hitting the body... Can't you raise everything with the body mounts to get it right..