Transmission problems? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2010, 07:18 AM
Show me the money !

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Transmission problems?

I have a th400 and starting from the beginning... Purchased from TCI about 5 yrs. ago. put a summit TC in it .. a cheap one. I think it was advertised as 1200 stall speed. Ran it for about 3yrs.w/ a mild 350ci. as time went on, it seemed to loose pressure when the car sat for a few days. I would start her up, and it would not grab a gear F or R for a few minutes. once it was warmed up, it was fine. The Tranny guy here told me to start with a check valve. I let it go for about 3 months because I was planning to change motors.. do it all at once. NOW, the new motor is in in and the problem has changed. No pressure loss when the car sits, but now it falls out of gear when coasting around 1500 rpm. then when I get back on it, it feels like it grabs 2nd. then immediately jams into 3rd.

The tranny guy wants me to undo the TC bolts, and see if the TC spins freely. I Spent some time cleaning the back of the block and the TC before the install and it seemed( from what I remember) that it went together smoothly and it spun freely. I plan on double checking but I would like to gather some more info before doing anything.

I really don't know much about transmissions. So please be gentle.
Thanks in advance

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2010, 07:44 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Could be the front accumulator piston has failed (some were plastic, and the center breaks out of them) or the accumulator seal.

This will cause no engine braking because the band cannot apply.

The VB has to be pulled to fix this.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:05 AM
Show me the money !

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Could be the front accumulator piston has failed (some were plastic, and the center breaks out of them) or the accumulator seal.

This will cause no engine braking because the band cannot apply.

The VB has to be pulled to fix this.
Please excuse my ignorance. VB ? I am pretty good with engines an consider myself adequately mechanically inclined, but dumb as a stump when it comes to trans. Should the trans. shop do this or it it fairly simple? I have only SEEN the inside of a Trans. a few times. ..and not to work on them. Is this expensive?
Old 03-28-2010, 08:16 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast 4 Door
Please excuse my ignorance. VB ? I am pretty good with engines an consider myself adequately mechanically inclined, but dumb as a stump when it comes to trans. Should the trans. shop do this or it it fairly simple? I have only SEEN the inside of a Trans. a few times. ..and not to work on them. Is this expensive?
Sorry, VB = "valve body".

The damage would look like:

If you attempt the removal of the "C"-clip, be aware that there's a heavy spring under the clip that has to be compresses before the clip is removed.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:19 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Could be a worn Governor too.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.