transmission question - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2006, 12:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolical
wheel bearings were done a couple of years ago (doesn't every corvette need that?) but, i did check...wheels are tight...no play.

as i stated before, tires were balanced on a hunter gs9700..supposedly top of the line.... at a ford dealer.

when i was removing the half shafts, some of the u-joint straps were kinda loose..i could remove them with my fingers...sheesh. and, i found one u-joint that was tight in the trunion. it was hard to move back and forth. so, i replaced that one and it swivels smoothly now.

so...this is what i'm figuring: (lol) since a couple straps were loose while the wheels were hanging,(this puts pressure on the u-joint). when the wheel has weight on it, the straps maybe gave enough for the u-joint to be loose. keep in mind that the half-shaft is also part of the wheel travel assembly, so, when the car is jacked up, the rear wheels kick in at a gross angle. this puts pressure on the u-joints, so it might appear that they are tight, but once on the ground, they might be loose.

f$@$#@# corvettes!!!!

anyways, when i feel ambitious, i'll put it back together later and see what happens. if the vibration is still there, i'll burn the car. lol

hey...i appreciate the help....this has been a big downer for a long time.
Patience and persistance is necessary in owing a Corvette. You will get it in the end.
On the tires, even if they were balanced, balance weights fall off. I have had them fall off on the way home from the tire shop. You can't assume anything, especially you can't assume that people will do their jobs correctly. When I have a problem like this, I check and recheck everything until I find it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2006, 01:48 PM

bob, i'm not 100% confident this will solve my problem because i didn't find anything extraordinary in the u-joints, unless the loose strap and one stiff u-joint are enough to cause my problem. i was hoping to find a broke bearing or something like that.

i'll assemble it tomorrow night and see if it does. if it doesn't, then i know the problem must lie somewhere back there. thanks again!!
i'll post back when assembled and i try it out.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
bob, i'm not 100% confident this will solve my problem because i didn't find anything extraordinary in the u-joints, unless the loose strap and one stiff u-joint are enough to cause my problem. i was hoping to find a broke bearing or something like that.

i'll assemble it tomorrow night and see if it does. if it doesn't, then i know the problem must lie somewhere back there. thanks again!!
i'll post back when assembled and i try it out.
The stiff u-joint can certainly cause the problem. Good luck!
Old 04-19-2006, 05:30 PM

Last photo:

Have you tried swapping the tires front to back?
Old 04-19-2006, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85406
Have you tried swapping the tires front to back?
yep...tried every which way i could think of. i then went out and bought new tires...and had them balanced with the hunter system. i was hoping for a smooth ride.....no change.

maybe i will get lucky and doing these u-joints might be the ticket.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:44 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
yep...tried every which way i could think of. i then went out and bought new tires...and had them balanced with the hunter system. i was hoping for a smooth ride.....no change.

maybe i will get lucky and doing these u-joints might be the ticket.
didnt u say that uve already done that twice??? i personally think ur throwing ur money away...
Old 04-19-2006, 06:50 PM

Last photo:

Sometimes gremlins like this can drive you crazy for a while.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:48 PM

the first set of tires were kinda old anyways, but i had them tested on the balancer. two were good...one was borderline and one was bad. i returned them where i bought them and they gave me 4 new ones...free except for that taxes. i then took the 4 new ones up and had them balanced.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.