Transmission rebuild: $800 to $1200? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2006, 12:10 PM

Last journal entry:
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Transmission rebuild: $800 to $1200?

I just took my 65' GTO to a transmission shop for a rebuild and they quoted me $800 to $1200 to rebuild the ST-300. Now, that is included in the labor of taking it out of the car. They claimed it would be hard to find the parts for the transmission. Is the price right? Or do you think they are just pulling my leg? I just took it in because it was starting to slip. This is my first time getting a tranny rebuilt. In what ballpark should this cost? Thank you,

-Sam

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2006, 02:29 PM

Last photo:

sounds fairly high,parts should be available from transtar.Isn't this trans the pontiac version of powerglide? If so you could probably do it yourself fairly easily.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:51 PM

First of all...research your transmission model thoroughly.
is it one of the rare st300's with the switch pitch torque converter?
if so rebuild might cost yuh more.
run an ebay search for your tranny...you'll be surprised just by the number of new parts available from vendors. including manuals and rebuild kits. heck there's even rebuilt trannies available for most makes and models!
check it out...might help in acurate pricingfor a rebuild and or core charge...also go to a reputable tranny/speed shop that's familiar with wrenching on classic vehicles...preferably one where the owner/head mechanic is a racer/car owner himself.
you'll be happier with their work.
Do you go to a family doctor you are not happy with? NO you go to one you are comfortable with and trust , your car can't make that choice for itself...it's up to you.
and don't be afraid to drop the tranny out yourself to save a few bucks!
automatic transmissions for the most part are not terribly difficult to remove and reinstall.
http://buickperformance.com/switchpitch.htm
an interesting read and it does cover pontiac models as well as buick.
good luck and happy motoring!

Dak_Brat
Old 05-16-2006, 05:58 PM

Last journal entry:
Last photo:

I deal with ebay and I really havn't seen much go by in relation to ST300 parts. I don't recall the tranny having a 'switch pitch'. I would have just dropped the tranny and taken it in myself but my current living conditions are not so good. I actually have no place to put the goat to drop the tranny even if I wanted to. I was curious about the price, because half a year ago I came by the same tranny shop and asked how much it would cost if I brought just the transmission in myself and their estimate was $600. Anyways tomorrow they will give me a more accurate price so I am crossing my fingers.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:01 PM

check out that link I posted...it gives a description to ident the switch pitch tranny by it's pan.
goodluck on the pricing.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:29 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last journal entry: Wiring finished finally
Last photo:

800-1200 bucks is not a bad price at all including labor and all. You'd be surprised how expensive some tranny shops can charge you and only just for pulling the tranny. For example, tranny shop about a couple blocks down from ours will quote someone on the price just for dropping the tranny and then that price will most likely skyrocket after they tell the customer what they need. That seems like a fair quote from them, they usually give you the best to worst case scenario on rebuilding. Then again, you can go with someone really cheap and bring in your car every month to have them rebuild it again. My friend tried to cheap out and had to bring in his truck at least 3 times to the same guy who rebuilt it for him as a favor. If you aren't making that much money on a labor intensive job, you aren't going to be that careful when your pulling someone's tranny, tearing it down, and doing your version of a "rebuild" for next to nothing.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak_Brat
check out that link I posted...it gives a description to ident the switch pitch tranny by it's pan.
goodluck on the pricing.
your link shows how to ID a t-400 that is a switch pitch. Little on a super turbine 300 tranny.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Check the water, check the oil

Last photo:

That price is fairy accurate. Especially if it's a GOOD rebuild. If your tranny is slipping and something is REALLY wrong on the inside (like with my C4, my shift bracket and kickdown setup was broken and cracked inside the tranny, they might have to order excess parts that aren't normally part of a rebuild. They should check your WHOLE tranny for wear and they will replace what's necessary, and I can guarentee you're happy with the results. What state are you in?
Old 05-16-2006, 08:22 PM

sounds like a good deal to me i just paid $1800 6 monthes ago for my powerglide!!!
Old 05-16-2006, 11:00 PM

Last journal entry:
Last photo:

I am in California, above San Francisco. Thanks for the input. Transmissions are just new to me.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:08 PM
Check the water, check the oil

Last photo:

I'm in Orange County. If you've got a truck and wanna drive it down to my shop my boss will build it good. His bench jobs are pretty cheap too (if you pull it yourself, which I would definitely be willing to help you with if you need it). Save alot of money on the R&R, and the bench build will be fantastic. Probably don't wanna make the drive, though. I've made it a couple of times with friends, and it is definitely a hell of a long trip to do in one night.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.