Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   Transmission swap in 1962 impala (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-swap-1962-impala-192693.html)

itsandre 02-15-2011 07:30 AM

Transmission swap in 1962 impala
 
Okay, getting my 62 impala ready for an engine swap.
I want to include in the swap the matching transmission that came with this engine. From my understanding the engine according to where I had it machined thought this was a low mileage engine to begin with. They thought maybe at most 60k. So this tells me the transmission has the same.
Both have been sitting bolted together for 6 or 7 years on the garage floor. The engine I have completely gone through, complete rebuild with a few performance upgrades.
I want to convert the original 3 speed manual to the automatic 350TG.
Im thinking it still works and hoping so. I will do the basics, change filter and fluids.
My question is will this fit without changing cross member or drive shaft on the car and where would I pick up the vacuum on the Edelbrock carb and matching performer intake.

I hope I am posting this question in the right place. Going into the site I can't seem to figure out where else to post this question.
Once again, thanks for all the info you can pass on.......Andre

cobalt327 02-15-2011 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsandre
Okay, getting my 62 impala ready for an engine swap.
I want to include in the swap the matching transmission that came with this engine. From my understanding the engine according to where I had it machined thought this was a low mileage engine to begin with. They thought maybe at most 60k. So this tells me the transmission has the same.
Both have been sitting bolted together for 6 or 7 years on the garage floor. The engine I have completely gone through, complete rebuild with a few performance upgrades.
I want to convert the original 3 speed manual to the automatic 350TG.
Im thinking it still works and hoping so. I will do the basics, change filter and fluids.
My question is will this fit without changing cross member or drive shaft on the car and where would I pick up the vacuum on the Edelbrock carb and matching performer intake.

I hope I am posting this question in the right place. Going into the site I can't seem to figure out where else to post this question.
Once again, thanks for all the info you can pass on.......Andre

Welcome aboard.

If you click on "Bulletin Board" at the top of the page, you'll see all the various forums. For posting this question, click on the Transmission- Rearend forum and post it there.

Is the transmission a TH350? If so, use the manifold vacuum port located on the driver side of the carb for the vacuum source to the modulator.

Also post what type trans is in it now. If it's a 2 speed AT it's a Powerglide. Then we can take it from there.

itsandre 02-15-2011 09:03 AM

Thanks I will look for that next time. New to the site and finding it a bit difficult to use.
Currently my 62 Impala has the old three speed manual on the column with the joggle the shifter lever to try and get it from first to second gear. I think all who has had this type of shifter knows what I'm talking about. Pain in the rear.
As far as the automatic I have, I will have to look for the ser.#
Not sure where it is yet but will go look right now. All I know is this engine and tran was pulled from a 1977 Monte Carlo and is a sbc 350.
Thanks for you time.......Andre

itsandre 02-15-2011 01:22 PM

Okay, I clicked on the Transmission/rearend thing. It doesn't bring me anywhere to post my question. Just brings me to related sites and info.
So I researched my trans and it is a TH350.
As I posted in my previous question. How will this go into my 62 Impala. Will I have to replace crossmembers or mounts? Will my driveshaft work or do I need to modify?

cobalt327 02-15-2011 03:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobalt327
...click on "Bulletin Board" at the top of the page, you'll see all the various forums. For posting this question, click on the Transmission- Rearend forum and post it there.

Once you click on the Tranny forum, look to the left side of the page for the icon shown below. Click on it to post.

poncho62 02-15-2011 03:24 PM

Moved this to tranny forum....

I put a T350 in my 62....It originally had a 2 speed cast iron Powerglide....I did not have to change the cross member, but did have to shorten the drive shaft

cobalt327 02-15-2011 03:25 PM

In any event, I can't imagine you don't want to put a Muncie 4 speed in it!

Someone will be along w/more on the swap to a TH350, I'm sure.

The driveshaft splines will be the same, but IIRC it will need to be shortened. A 4 speed drive shaft will work or a driveshaft from a 3 speed OD manual tranny as long as your TH350 has the short tailshaft.

The 3 speed trans crossmember should work. I'd replace the tranny mount for a new one for the TH350.

I would suggest using a floor mounted shifter. Shift works has shifters for the '62 if it has a console.

itsandre 02-15-2011 11:34 PM

I already have the TH350, I might as well use it. It looks like to me it's the short tail but don't have anything to compare it to.
What ever the case, I'll make it work. As far as the shifter, I have access to a auto column shift but a floor shift would be cool. I see they sell those pretty cheap. Do you know if it comes with all the linkage?
Thanks for the info and I'll let you all know the outcome.

cobalt327 02-16-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsandre
I already have the TH350, I might as well use it. It looks like to me it's the short tail but don't have anything to compare it to.

A "short" tailshaft will be 6" on the TH350.

Quote:

Do you know if it comes with all the linkage?
If you buy a new shifter, it will come w/everything needed unless it says otherwise. This is usually the shifter, a cable from the shifter to the tranny and the shift arm and cable bracket mounted to the tranny, unless the original shift arm is reused. In most cases, it's not reused, though.

joe_padavano 02-16-2011 10:28 AM

A short tail TH350 is the same overall length as a Saginaw 3 spd with bellhousing, so the trans should bolt right in and even be able to use the stock driveshaft. This is an easy swap and the hardest part is just getting the kickdown cable hooked up with all the brackets.

junior stocker 02-16-2011 11:49 AM

The "problem" with the "X"-frame cars, is they used a SHORTER transmission; unless it was a Borg Warner 4-speed. A 3-speed manual would have been the non-synchro first Muncie 3-speed, and a shorter version at that. Therefore the driveline shortening being needed.The bellhousing and trans would measure 25 inches, compared to 28 inches for non-"X"-frame cars. Even the automatics were 25 inches long. I always thought it would make sense to use the 9 or 12 inch extension housing TH350 trans, and convert to a one piece driveline, but I don't know if there are interferences with the frame in doing this..

itsandre 02-16-2011 01:33 PM

Thanks guy's, lots of good info.
One more question? What is the small tube on the driver side of trans? It has a 90deg bend about half way up the side.
And the tail is a 6" so hopefuly this will fit with the existing DS.

joe_padavano 02-16-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsandre
Thanks guy's, lots of good info.
One more question? What is the small tube on the driver side of trans? It has a 90deg bend about half way up the side.
And the tail is a 6" so hopefuly this will fit with the existing DS.

That's just a vent tube. Nothing connects to it.

cobalt327 02-17-2011 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junior stocker
The "problem" with the "X"-frame cars, is they used a SHORTER transmission; unless it was a Borg Warner 4-speed. A 3-speed manual would have been the non-synchro first Muncie 3-speed, and a shorter version at that. Therefore the driveline shortening being needed.The bellhousing and trans would measure 25 inches, compared to 28 inches for non-"X"-frame cars. Even the automatics were 25 inches long. I always thought it would make sense to use the 9 or 12 inch extension housing TH350 trans, and convert to a one piece driveline, but I don't know if there are interferences with the frame in doing this..

Good info. The X-frame 3 speed front drive shaft needs to be shortened by about 5" to fit the TH350 short tailshaft trans, because this trans is about 3" shorter than the 'short' X-frame PG (the PG needs to have about 2" removed, give or take), IIRC.

Regardless of any "on paper" length estimations- this all has to be measured for each application due to varying tolerances, etc.

You will also want to add a kick down cable attachment at the carb and the dipstick may need to be replaced w/a flexible one to make life easier.

itsandre 05-29-2011 05:45 PM

Th350
 
Hey all, to answer the question about the tranny swap from a 3sp manual to the th350. Yes the drive shaft has to be shortend. About 5" and the yolk has to be replaced as well. The splines are different. Brought it to a driveshaft shop and the whole job cost about $230. Balanced the entire two pc shaft and new ujoint at the yolk.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.