Transmission Swap Parts Sources. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2006, 07:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Transmission Swap Parts Sources.

I am swapping a manual transmission into my 1981 Malibu, and since these cars had a manual transmission as a base option they ("SHOULD") be relatively easy to come by somewhere.

I just haven't found out where yet though.

I need a source for a new clutch fork, GM part number 14007356. I can't find it anywhere.

I could get away with a good used one IF I could find one.

I also need a new or non rusted original dust shield, but have found a couple of them on Ebay. It has the squared off corner around the starter, not rounded like most.

I am also swapping a 4 speed into my Suburban, but I don't know if I want to go the extra steps and make that thing a 4X4 or leave it rear only, I have all the parts for it on shelves for either way.

Drop me a PM if anyone knows where I can find those things online.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

www.car-part.com If it was an original factory piece one of those guys may have it somewhere..

OMT
Old 02-17-2006, 01:59 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

There wasn't anything much in their drop down menu, and no place to enter search terms for clutch fork.

One thing I tried to look for led me to another selector at a different place and didn't have that part listed in that menu.

Thanks anyway.

This should be a semi find-able part, since 80 and up A/G body cars with manual transmissions had this particular slutch fork. The 78 and 79's list a different (and VERY available) fork for those years, it just won't work with my particular bellhousing.

This is the fork I need.

And the dust shield I need, (the bottom one), I have a lead on this right now though.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:28 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

iraqi taxis

Back in the late 70's early 80's GM made a bunch of malibus with 3.8s with 3 or 4 speeds that were destined to the middle east as taxis. They never got there and the majority ended up in Canada and can be found here and there. If your interested I have a clutch pedal for sale that is designed to use a 82-92 f-body hydaulic clutch master cylinder. You could get a hydraulic throwout bearing or a stock slave cylinder to acctuate your clutch. It was designed by this guy that who built this http://www.montecarloss.com/ls1montecarloss/. I had bought it to swap into a 86 cutlass but sold it.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I haven't seen much luck with hydraulic throwout bearings, except for the local dirt track racers, they use them a lot around here.

I have some leads on stock parts, and have a couple cheats for using different parts swapped in that look like the right part, like a secend brake pedal heated and bent with a portion of the pad plate removed to fit the smaller pad for a clutch pedal, it looked pretty convincing when I seen the before- during- and after pictures of his swap.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I just got to looking the picture of the "correct" clutch fork, and got curious.

I bitmapped the picture and stretched a straight line from end to end taking into account the person who took the picture wasn't looking at it exactly from 90 degrees from either X or Y axis.

A straight line from center of the fork fingers and the the pivot ball lines up with the actuating end where the rod end fit's into.

What is in the way under the car to require the fork to be curved? Nothing from what I went out and looked to see.

I'll go out tomorrow and see what a more common part number fork that I already have looks like in this bellhousing, Now if I only knew what the measurement was between the two pivot points, and the the inner pivot to fork fingers, I could look for a different fork that would work.

I already know why this bellhousing has a lowered clutch fork opening, because of the close proximity of the floor pan.

The starter and exhaust go back on the opposite side of the car.
From what a bunch of websites are addressing for the oil pressure sending unit, I don't have one above the oil filter boss to have to worry about, and have been planning on adapting the sending unit to the fitting next to the distributor anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ClutchForkCenterline.JPG
Views:	845
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	10114  

Last edited by M&M CUSTOM; 02-17-2006 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:10 PM

Last photo:

Transmission Swap Parts Sources.

My 78 Malibu has the easy to find fork as does the 79's like you said. I would consider changing the bell housing and using the 78 79 type fork. I think NPD sells an entire clutch linkage set up if my memory is correct. I think it's around $400.00 but not sure. Rich http://www.npdlink.com/modules.php?n...evelle_Catalog
Old 02-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I'll have to look into this too, I get a bunch of the NPD catalogs from them being a major sponsor of our Northern Chevelle Gathering car show in July.

I also seen that OPG, has a lot of the needed parts "except" for the fork.

In looking through the NPD catalog they show a picture or the very fork I need and have pictured above, BUT- they list it as for 1978-1981, which we have already determined there should be two different part numbers for this year range.

An online source I found lists the fork I need as a part number, but when put into their shopping cart, part of the end of the part number is removed, so I can't be surethat is the right one either.

It would be nice to know the measurements of the center points of the pivots, and and fork fingers to the first pivot point. I could than take this information to the local parts stores and hunt through their inventories.

Last edited by M&M CUSTOM; 02-18-2006 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Added stuff
Old 02-18-2006, 06:13 AM

Last photo:

Heres a link to a good g-body site. I bought the his 1958 ford 9" rearend for my cutlass.
http://malibunorth.freeservers.com/TechPage.htm

Last edited by M&M CUSTOM; 02-18-2006 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Fixed an oops.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I've seen his site before, lot's of good information there, but unfortunately not a source of my needed parts.

I'm going to look around the 'net and see if I can find a front side pic of this banana shaped clutch fork instsalled and see if there is a noticable need for the bend.

I might try and bend a used one myself and see what it looks like, if I have a used one laying around that isn't marked for future use.

I found a couple decent pics of the fork installed.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BellWithForkback.jpg
Views:	819
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	10124   Click image for larger version

Name:	BellForkShield.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	10125   Click image for larger version

Name:	14007356ForkBack.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	10126  

Last edited by M&M CUSTOM; 02-18-2006 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M CUSTOM
I'm going to look around the 'net and see if I can find a front side pic of this banana shaped clutch fork instsalled and see if there is a noticable need for the bend.

I might try and bend a used one myself and see what it looks like, if I have a used one laying around that isn't marked for future use.
With the 462606 bellhousing and it's lowered fork pivot ball, there is no way that the more common clutch fork #14066235 will come close to working.

The required shaping of the other fork would take just as much time and effort as completely fabricating one from scratch.

I spent almost an hour making a diagram of measurements and notes to go with them.

I gave up on changing an already stamped piece that will not work.

I might just try and fabricate my own, but still look for an original in good condition.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I found a possible online source for the fork, but instead of buying it and getting the wrong one, I sent a link to the picture of the fork in my previous post for them to verify and get back to me. I told them I would buy it ASAP if it IS the same one. So now I'm down to aquiring the dust shield and all the linkage up to the pedal and neutral safety switch.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.