Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Transmission Transfer case question
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 06:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Transmission Transfer case question

I recently bought a 76 chevy truck. Its 4 wheel drive with a 355 motor, a 400 transmission and a 203 transfer case and lockouts on the front. When i bought it the guy told me 4 wheel drive worked but i never tested it. I went to use it one night and i realized i could only get the transfer case into 2 different gears. My buddy has an extra shifter so we decided to switch mine out to see if that was the problem. When we pulled the old shifter out I realized that it had steel spacers welded to the back of the shifter bracket plate so the shifter sat away from the transfer case about 3 inches. I got to looking around under the truck and the transfer case bracket that mounts to the frame has new holes drilled and has been moved back about 3 inches as well.

My only thought is that the truck is set up for a 350 transmission and the guy put a longer 400 transmission in it. This would move the transfer case back a few inches and in turn he had to weld spacers onto the shifter otherwise the shifter would come up through the floor underneath the seat. And since the shifter has spacers mounted on it the linkage is messed up now and it wont shift through all the gears. I was wondering if they made a special shifter for a 400 turbo transmission with a 203 transfer case.

Any advise or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks