Transmission for a v/8 powered trike? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2008, 11:23 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Transmission for a v/8 powered trike?

I have a narrowed pontiac rearend that came out of my Anglia,, and I have been tossing around the idea of building a sbc powered 3 wheel motorcycle , using this R/E, but havn't quite figured out what to do about a tranny,, I want to keep it as short as possable,, like maybe a powerglide, or does anyone have a idea on how to shorten up a turbo 350,, ?? I have a couple of 350's but would have to buy a powerglide,,
What do you guys think would be the best choice?? open to any ideas,, Thanks Bill

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2008, 12:27 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

trans?

Use the powerglide with a dragster "shortie kit"; cut down planetary/output shaft and rear support plate. Made by any of the racing trans vendors and they're also on e-bay all the time. It does away with the speedo drive, but with a bike the speedo works off of the front wheel anyway; correct? The Boss Hog small and big block Chevy trikes use the powerglide setup. You really would'nt get any more than 4"with a shortened T-350. Someone on this site built their own shortened T-350 assembly for use in a dragster; I think it was a Cadillac powered rear motored dragster. Maybe someone else has some real life experience with this.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:42 AM

Last photo:

just checked out e/bay,, nothing listed,, what year would you suggest? probably alum. case right?
I probably would be a bit leary about a used race tranny,, I think maybe find a decent tranny and buy the kit to rebuild and shorten, any idea on how much these kits cost,? know any companys that sell them,,,,? It wouldn't really have to be built as a race part,,
Thanks for the help. JR,
Old 02-03-2008, 02:21 AM

Last photo:

V-8 Trike

Google for ''Boss Hoss'' motor cycles and check them out. They make both a two wheel and a three wheel bike useing both BB and SB Chevys and automatic trannys. I've never ridden one but i'll bet that two wheeler with a 504 CUI engine is a real trip. Check it out............
Old 02-03-2008, 03:19 AM

Last photo:

hey bad rat, it's interesting you bring this up. i used to do the fort bragg run here in nor cal like 25 years ago. a guy showed up one year with a trike like you are talking about. it wasn't like a boss hog. it was like 15 feet long, maybe 20 feet long. with the engine in front of the driver. tranny length was not a problem. he sat over the trans and used long chromemoly tubes with heim ends to connect the handlebars where he sat behind the engine to the upper tripple clamps in front of the engine. it was rigid rear axel in back so he just used a coupling between the trans and the rear. it was awesome. he drove that thing like 500 miles to get to fort bragg. i collected parts off ebay a couple of years ago for 6 months and spent a month building a suzuki 650 GXSR 4 valve go kart that will do 180. now i'm collecting parts for a trike project, i have a 350 with FI heads and a tunnel ram, no tranyy, no rear end, but i do have the preliminary plans drawn out crudely on paper and i am refining them on paper (just like my go kart project project) the final plans will be drawn out on the garage floor off of a centerline (chalk lines can be your best tool.
anyway, think outside the box, that's what i do. you built one bad rat, you can build a bad trike if you want to.

oh, by the way, how is the weather up there??? we are getting pounded by rain down here, from the weather reports i have seen, you are getting the same thing, it put a damper on our progress. i hate rain.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:28 AM

The trike I just finished up:
http://www1.cedar-rapids.net/tdkmoto...rikebuild.html
click the link on the bottom of the page to see the rest.

Ended up 13' 8" long, longer than I would have liked, but by the time I left myself with enough room so I wasn't using the headers for footpegs, and left room for momma on back, and hung the radiator out back it just got that long.
I knew a guy years ago that did one with a powerglide direct coupled to the rear axle, he sat between the rear tires, right over the pumpkin, but had no rear suspension. BTW, I don't think a powerglide is any shorter than a short tailshaft TH350.

Unfortunately I didn't get mine titled and tagged till the 1st week of Nov, so I got a whole 47 miles on it before the weather went to ***** around here.
According to the ground hog it's gonna be another 6 weeks or so before it sees the light of day again.

Feel free to Email me if you'd like to discuss details.........
Old 02-03-2008, 06:50 AM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:

I had been planning to do the same thing until I became disabled.Now I can't ride a trike. I have seen many V8 powered trikes but like you said they are just too long. My plan was to use a SBC with a powerglide with the shorty kit and a Corvette rear end so you would only need 1 u joint.The center section is mounted stationary so the tranny yoke could be put directly on the differential yoke. IMHO this is the shortest possible set up.And it should ride quite nicely also.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:59 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkkart
The trike I just finished up:
Impressive ingenuity tdkkart. I'm not a huge trike fan but I love the engineering on yours.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:00 AM

Last journal entry: 1930 chevy ratrod pick-up
Last photo:

ideas for a v/8 powered trike

check out the one in my gallery it was built in 11 months by a 63 year old man.he drove it to sturgis 2006,it has a buick v-6 built,9"ford coil over rear,14 feet long. use a honda anti-dive front end,it works.he took wife an me for a ride,we cruised at 90 so easy,it was awsome.it will do wheelies on comand.it looks like an antique car from behind.it was built on a T-bucket chassis.I wish some one could put the pic. here.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
Impressive ingenuity tdkkart. I'm not a huge trike fan but I love the engineering on yours.
Thanks Cboy, you should talk about engineering, I watch your stuff regularly and am always impressed with the ideas you come up with, and your total dedication to what you are doing.

I couldn't do it, I have a "need" to see the finished product and unfortunately skip over some of the details I had dreamed up in order to see the end product. I lack longevity or patience or something.

I don't know how much "engineering" there is to it. I form a plan and start building toward it. I know, or find out as needed, the rules of thumb in designing what I want as I go.

I've done a couple larger projects, so far the the end product has come out as intended. The trike runs, drives and stops as it should. So far it hasn't exhibited any undesirable "tricks".
Old 02-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

These guys:

V8 Choppers

We in our shop 2 weeks ago. They are looking at our shortie power glides for the chopper.

They had a trike and chopper with them. Nice workmanship on the scoots.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:55 AM
Viva la Migra!!

Last photo:

I gotta get in on this one . My friend /mentor Don has a beautiful trike he built out of a front wheel drive Oldsmobile !! He cut the car in half at the firewall , discarded the back half ( kept bumper , tail lights , etc.) blocked the front wheels so they wouldn't turn anymore and he welded a motorcycle frame to the front of the thing . Lots of fabricating , but when he was done , the thing was awesome . Big V8 - little trike ! It wasn't too long ( maybe 8 or 10 feet ), I'll try to get some pics of it. He also took a Honda 750 motorcycle , made a front and rear end for a quadrunner , and had the MEANEST 4 wheeler I've ever been afraid to drive !! It still used the honda frame and seat , just a different front and rear .
Boss Hoss motorcycles are awesome , but it's cool to see home made ones .....
Best of luck Mr. Bad Rat !! If it's Half the hot rod that you have in that avatar , it'll be a mind-blower !
Old 02-03-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
These guys:
V8 Choppers
We in our shop 2 weeks ago. They are looking at our shortie power glides for the chopper.

Trannies are the one big sore spot with the Boss-Hoss bikes, the 2 speed they use in the bikes is an off-breed that has alot of problems, frequent rebuilds are neccesary if you don't caress it regularly.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
These guys:

V8 Choppers

Crosley,, check you P/M's

I plan on using a coil over suspension, in the rear, the R/E is narrowed to 40" hub to hub, so huge rear tires are destined to show up there,
I want to keep the bike as short as possable, so that means probably straddling the tranny, so a shortened tranny is probably a must,

TDKKART... really great engineering on that Monster, I bet that rides like a new caddy you did a fantastic job on it , Is that a F/E from a harley ?? thats something else I need t find,,,,did you have any trouble getting it titled? being in Calif, did the DEQ hassle you? I saved all your pictures for future referance,, Thanks, I might Pm you with some Questions if you don't mind,,

TECTRON .WEATHER?? in Oregon?? This Damn rain flat sucks,, we get lots of rain normally but this is rediclious,,but don't worry,, I ain't movin to Calif.

Thanks for all the infro guys,, I had no Idea I would get this much response,, Thanks Bill
Old 02-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

PM answered......

a shorty kit on a power glide aluminum trans removes the governor circuit... there will be NO automatic shifts.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.