Transmission vibration - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007, 10:47 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Transmission vibration

I have a TH 350 Tranny in my 1985 G20 Sportvan. I have been getting a vibration that feels like some type of cavitation shimmy as I accellerate. The fluid is good. I also am getting some squeaking sounds through the drive shaft (sounds like someone bouncing on the bumper of a car with bad springs)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2007, 11:25 PM

You more than likely have a transmission that is fine, you have a U-joint that is bad. take it in and have the driveshaft checked. It always slays me how a U-joint bearing that has such little movement can make so much noise when they go dry................
Old 11-27-2007, 11:53 PM
406 Caprice:Rust Never Sleeps!

Transmission vibration

Definitely worthwhile to just go ahead and replace both frt. and rr. u-joints if lots of mileage on it. Also-quite inexpensive-about $30 (or less) for both parts and pretty easy d.i.y. project. Minimal tools needed.(Snap-ring pliers for the keepers,bench-vise,little else) A chiltons manual for your van would explain it in detail.(around $14.95)- A small investment for peace and quiet, and to prevent premature failure of trans output shaft bearing/rearend yoke-pinion damage,etc...- -Jim
PS: (a big contributing factor to the u-joint's life is engine-idle speed-I had to do mine on 95 c-vic police- just after problems w/ idle-air control valve failure caused extreme high idle a few times-thus causing it to "slam" into drive ONLY A FEW TIMES. {I must add that they also had alot of miles on them-but this certainly hastened their demise} The Frt.u-joint fell apart during disassembly it was so damaged!Good idea to check that your idle speed is not too high, for this reason)
Old 11-28-2007, 04:30 AM
Old Phart

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Last journal entry: 27 T Roadster project: Underway cont.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

The squeaking or rattling sound could be a cracked flex plate. Common problem, particularly if the torque converter bolts loosen and have been like it for a while.

They rattle quite loadly as the crack increases in length. They usually crack from either the torque converter mounting bolts holes or from the crankshaft bolt holes. The cracks are easy to spot because there will be a rust line along the crack.

While you are under there looking for cracks, check that all the bolts are tight.

The vibration under acceleration tends to point to a bad uni......probably at the tranny end. If the vibration is there all the time but gets worse at speed then it is probably the rear uni..

Hope you find the problem or problems........Barry.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.