Transmission won't shift into 1st or 2nd - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2008, 02:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1995 f-150Transmission won't shift into 1st or 2nd

Hey, I just bought a 95 f-150 4x4 with a straight 6/5sp.

All the gears worked fine when i drove it home and around town, but now it will not go into first or second gear. It makes a slight noise in these gears like fluid swishing or bearings spinning, but when i let out the clutch nothing happens. It does engage in 3,4,and 5 with no trouble and the clutch works fine on those gears and did work fine until the 1st and 2nd stopped engaging. the shifter still moves into the first and second positions like it is supposed to.

I'm really new to manual transmissions (i don't even know how to check the fluid) so you'll have to put things in simple terms. Have I been taken for a ride?

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement

Last edited by 1983lux; 04-10-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2008, 06:01 PM

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Wiki Edits: 85

Something is wrong in the 1st/2nd shift train. If your lever moves into the correct positions, then most likely your fork is worn out or broken.

If your lever will not move to the correct positions, then something is wrong with the detent (lock-out) pieces.

Regardless, diagnosing the problem without disassembling the transmission is like a doctor diagnosing your illness over the phone - pure speculation.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:33 PM

yeah, it does move into the correct positions perfectly with little resistance.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:04 AM

transtrouble

check your pedal kit its probally broked aluminium ****
Old 04-12-2008, 11:15 AM

I've determined that it is not the clutch, and am now in the process of removing the transmission. Everything is disconnected except for 2 things.

-I'm having trouble removing the clutch line from the slave cylinder

-I need to remove the gearshift assembly so the tranmission will slide back far enough to clear the input shaft. I have removed the 6 bolts holding the shifter assembly on, but i cannot get it to pull free.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-12-2008, 11:33 AM

Last photo:

1983lux shift forks with the m50 trans are a common prob.
you can remove the top cover of the trans , by unhooking your shifter and then removing your floor covering, then there should be a cover on your trans tunnel remove the cover and there should be your trans , I think a 10 mm socket will remove the top off the trans , after removing bolts pull straight up on the top cover,your shift fork rail is attached to the top peice,I think $150-$200 should buy you a new set of shift forks.remember to flush out the trans and install new fluid after replacing the shift forks.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:20 AM

Last photo:

1983lux there is a bolt going through the bottom of the shifter, with a 17mm nut on it remove the nut and install it on the opposite side of the bolt,the bolt is a wedge type bolt .this will remove the bolt wedge.then the shifter justs pulls straight up. the 6, 13mm bolts sounds like the trans too transfercase bolts,theres usually a gasket between the trans and tranfercase, most people use silicone when reinstalling them.
1983lux do you have a digital camera, if you do post some pics for some better understanding of what you are doing and we can be of more help to you and others like you.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:25 AM

Yeah, I realize its hard to understand what i'm talking about without visuals. I do have a digital camera, when this rain/snow quits, i will get you some pictures.

Aha! I was wondering what that 17mm bolt at the bottom of the shifter was supposed to do. I will try that.

As for the 6 13mm bolts on the shifter assembly, they were actually 12mm, and i am definately not talking about the transfer case.

Check out my absolutely terrible picture i attached to see what i mean. The orange is the clutch line im having trouble getting out. The red is the transfer case (which im not having any problems getting off).

The blue is what i've been calling the 'shifter assembly'. Its NOT the rubber that goes around the gearshift inside the cab, its the big metal part on top of the trans that the gearshift goes into. The green dots on it are the 6 12mm bolts i have removed. I am trying to get this off but am having trouble with it. I guess now that i know how to take off the gearshift alone i may not need to worry about taking off the whole assembly yet.

If this still doesn't make sense, real photos will be up soon. By the way, i REALLY appreciate the all the help i'm getting.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp M50 Trans.bmp (201.5 KB, 54 views)

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.