Hot Rod Forum banner

Transplant 302 and AOD tranny into 80 mustang

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  juxtoposed 
#1 ·
My brother wants to put an 87 302 with the AOD tranny and driveshaft from an 87 Crown Victoria into an 80 mustang. I believe the stang has a 7.5 rearend in it. I don't know what size rearend the Crown Vic has in it. First, will the AOD even fit in the mustang? Will the driveshaft fit into the yoke in the rearend of the stang? Will the crossmember or engine/tranny have to be moved forward or backward? Thanks for your help. Bill

#2 ·
the trans will fit, but the driveshaft will not. the crossmember will have to be moved all the way back if I remember right. Just grind off the spot welds and slide it back on the tubes and re-tack it together. (It will be obvious when you look at it.) The drive shaft you need will be the same out of a t-5 car or an AOD car. Use the late model shifter and cable, and don't forget to hook up the throtle pressure cable. The trans needs this to upshift also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.