Transplanting a TBI 350 in a 69 Chev PU - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2011, 04:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Transplanting a TBI 350 in a 69 Chev PU

I'm installing a TBI 350 with 700R4 into my 69 Chev PU. The donor car was a 93 Buick Roadmaster. It's what they call the LO-5 engine. Everything fits fine, but I'm wondering how much of the electronics and emissions equipment I will need to use to have the engine/transmission work properly. I've got the PCM from the donor car and all of the wiring and emission equipment, but don't want to install what I don't need.
Passing emissions is not an issue due to the age, although I don't want to foul the air either.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011, 07:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

I would run everything right down to cat converters.All the electronics, properly installed will keep it running clean , fuel efficient and with the best possible performance. Oh ...you could get way more performance from it , but with the original electronics gives you a good mix of power and economy.
The the port injection and the 4 speed automatic gives pretty decnt performance,and the lockup converter provides the best possible mileage.
I have seen a lot of those engines in the roadmaster and a few cadillacs also. Often wanted to do something very similar to what you are doing.
The wiring is a lot of fun, I love to do wiring betterthan most anything else.
Some people dread wiring, makes it better for me.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:44 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

What are you doing about a drive shaft and tranny cross member? The cross members are off the shelf,,,, but the shafts can break the bank If it is a long box then getting a one piece shaft made is a real stretch )---------) Hard to have a custom one done right. Go with two piece

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/c52_..._72_truck.html

I agree with Latech use every sensor/gizmo's associated with the OEM unit. Look for detailed wiring diagrams and definition manuals. Wish I knew more about the engine management system requirements,,,maybe someday
Old 11-27-2011, 09:52 PM

TBI transplant

Thank you both for your input.

Latech, I really like your GTO. My first car was a 64 Le Mans post. My first restoration was a 67 Firebird conv. Not too crazy about needing a cat. I wanted to put duals on the truck. I was hoping that with the throttle body, I wouldn't need so much of the old equipment.

Custom 10, I got the trans mount from Classic Performance. It looks like the driveshaft from the Roadmaster is just slightly too short, about an inch or so. I'm not sure if I will get in deep enough into the tailshaft to be safe. I had a new driveshaft built for my 58 Apache a couple of years ago. Seems like it was about $200. Did a good job so if the old one won't work, I'm counting on seeing the same guy.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:19 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

Does that engine use the bigger TBI? The Caprice police cars of that era used the cam from the TPI.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:29 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetsidebob
I'm installing a TBI 350 with 700R4 into my 69 Chev PU. The donor car was a 93 Buick Roadmaster. It's what they call the LO-5 engine. Everything fits fine, but I'm wondering how much of the electronics and emissions equipment I will need to use to have the engine/transmission work properly. I've got the PCM from the donor car and all of the wiring and emission equipment, but don't want to install what I don't need.
Passing emissions is not an issue due to the age, although I don't want to foul the air either.
You need to check the transmission very carefully to see if it is the mechanically controlled 400R4/4L60 or is the electronically controlled 4L60E, the 93 Buick is right inside the transition period. In either case the transmission is set up for an electronic speedometer, you will either have to back date to a mechanical speedometer drive or change out the 69's mechanical for an electronic speedo. You will also need the electric in tank fuel pump if you're planning on running the TBI, or even a carb as this engine probably doesn't have the mechanical fuel pump provisions machined into the block, just the raw casting location, if that.

The LO5 engine is the Swirl Port engine mostly used in trucks, it is not known for anything approaching performance. It doesn't take much in the way of changes to the engine, especially camshaft, before you run into needing a custom blown PROM chip in the computer and a little beyond that you run out of sensor sensitivity to changes. About the limit on cam is 200 degrees on the intake and 215 on the exhaust with about a 112 degree LSA as overlap has to be eliminated or manifold vacuum will fall below sensor capabilities to discriminate small changes in vacuum that make large changes in fuel requirements that happen with bigger cams. As it comes from the factory there is a lot of vacuum that is used to discriminate small changes in fueling, so the sensors are designed around this insensitivity range. As the cam gets bigger the vacuum drops while the fueling sensitivity to small changes becomes much greater, this is simply outside the range of OEM sensors. This engine can be taken to about 280 hp with original components and a custom chip. To move beyond that point is possible you can take it to 300 maybe 330 but it takes a lot of electronic changes, much larger injectors, and a very sensitive hand at the set up.

If the tranny is indeed a 700R4/4L60 it may well be a lot simpler to carb the engine.

Bogie
Old 11-28-2011, 05:46 PM

350 Tbi Transplant

V8 & 4spd--How would I tell if this has the larger bores? What would the dimensions be?

Old Bogie: The only electrical connection is on the tail shaft so I am thinking this was still non-computer controlled. I've got a rebuilt quadrajet that I could use. I would just need to purchase a new manifold. I know that TBI is not the greatest fuel-injection system, but I sure don't mind getting away from a carb if it's feasible.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:25 PM

Last photo:

I don't know on the TBI, I see them for sale on Ebay. I had one of the Caprice police car engines but it was missing the TBI. I found a post somewhere that said the cam was the one they used in the TPI engine. I looked up the numbers on the cam and they matched the TPI cam.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:49 PM

Last photo:

They are selling TBIs on ebay that claim a bolt on 45hp increase. They also sell TBI engines that claim to be 310hp. They also sell a wiring harness for a TBI for $225.00.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetsidebob
V8 & 4spd--How would I tell if this has the larger bores? What would the dimensions be?

Old Bogie: The only electrical connection is on the tail shaft so I am thinking this was still non-computer controlled. I've got a rebuilt quadrajet that I could use. I would just need to purchase a new manifold. I know that TBI is not the greatest fuel-injection system, but I sure don't mind getting away from a carb if it's feasible.
That would be the electronic speedometer data source.

Bogie
Old 05-06-2014, 09:08 AM

Last photo:

Hi,

I just got on the forum and started a thread here, pertaining to a similar problem. Would appreciate if someone here could guide me on how to go about it.

Forgive me for intruding.

Warm regards.

Transplanting a TBI 350 in a Trans Am
Old 05-06-2014, 08:36 PM

Transplanting a TBI

Wow, that's an old thread!
As it turned out, I retained the TBI. I'm glad I did as it always starts and runs, unlike a carbed engine.

Having said that, you know to be aware of a couple of things. First of all, you will need to get a TBI wiring harness (I got mine from Painless) unless you were able to keep the entire one from the donor car. It's unlikely that it would have come out in the kind of shape to be usable without at least some reworking. Secondly, if the engine came out of a passenger car, you will have an issue with the theft deterrent system. You will therefore have to get a PCM out of an 88-91 1/2 ton GM pickup with A/T. You may be able to replace the E Prom for the same effect. You will want to look for E Proms 16121154 or 1227747. Be cautious when looking through PCMs at pick a part wrecking yards as some people will pull out the E Prom you need and replace it with the wrong one.

Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions
Old 05-06-2014, 08:58 PM

Transplanting a TBI

In an earlier post, I mentioned the ID #s for E Proms. That was incorrect as those are the #s for the PCMs you need, not the E Proms. I edited the post, but I'm not sure if it went through. Also, do not use a PCM that you find on the floor of a truck at an auto wrecker. It's been picked over and the good stuff taken. Find one that is still in the truck and remove it yourself.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.