Hot Rod Forum banner

Transtar Basecoat Reducer or Basemaker?

12K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
I could not find any reviews on this stuff anywhere. Does anybody know if this reducer is just as good as Basemaker? I have a gallon of Chromabase paint and wondered if this was just as good as Dupont's Basemaker. Are there any cons or pros besides the cost?

#2 ·
dupont thought they were being sneaky by adding some stuff to there basemaker,it is possible to use nason but id use the dupont base maker,since your asking,I assume your not that experianced and you'll have enough to deal with without adding to it. so use the right stuff and if you do have trouble you'll know what didnt cause it, you'll only save a couple bucks anyway.If you really want to save money dont use dupont ,its very over rated and over priced

#3 ·
If this Transtar is a "straight" urethane reducer AND the Chromabase is a solid color,yeah it will work,BUT,If the Chroma is a metallic or pearl,You better go with the Basemaker.
Like Dead said, Dupont likes to screw with their base and reducer,so it's always best to use what is called for.Main reason nobody makes a "replacement" for the Basemaker. Dupont has a way of building a "bomb" into it and competors who try and replicate it usually end up getting bit.
Had a discussion with BarryK about this and he said no way would he attempt to make a substitute because Dupont is constantly changing the "bomb" and you end up getting burned.

#6 ·
I forget the brand name but I have some off brand "Basemaker" at home. It looks and works just as basemaker to me.

When ever you are mixing brands you are tossing the dice a little. Personally, if the project means anything to you, use the DuPont.

Brian

#7 ·
rodan233 said:
Thanks for the info. I'll probably order some for the leftover paint I will have a spray some test panels for an experimet.
All the test will show you is if it works TODAY. You do plan on this job lasting longer than today, right?

Honestly, the basemaker doesn't cost that much.

Brian

#8 ·
martiners right ,compared to a redo its cheap.The only time you experiment is on lot cars for dealers and on weekends when the paint stores closed.there are many things you can get away with but there not recomended,mainly because no one knows if it will last.everyone that paints experiments but we pay the cost too so if your willing to pay ,experiment but this advice is free.Dont do it

#11 ·
The stuff I had was 5-Star brand "Quickbase" medium part number 57175.

I actually bought it because they had were out of the basemaker in quarts and that was all I needed for a non-customer project. It appeared to look and act as basemaker for a half the price.

But again, if you care about the project, buy the DuPont, it is worth the extra money for the piece of mind.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.