is it the Trany or the Dif.???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2002, 08:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Angry is it the Trany or the Dif.????

all right hears the problem. I pull up to a stop sign, stop, then when I'm ready to go the engine picks up and the car stays still for a split sec. then it jerks ahead. but not too sharply but not smoothly, almost like it wasn't in gear, or their is slack in the rear end. I'm almost positive it's not a Ujoint. Trany is a TH350 that hasn't been touched, Dif is a 10bolt I think both have almost 130,000 on them.
any Ideas on what the problem could be?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2002, 09:10 PM

Question

130,000 never been touched. seems to me that the first thing I'd do is change the oil and filter in the trans, am assuming its an auto trans. sounds like it takes time for the pressure to build in the trans. sometimes the torque converter can give up. just two thoughts
Old 03-01-2002, 10:29 PM

Unhappy

I thought about changing the oil But i've hered that if you put new oil in a old trans. that has gunk built up inside that it can break free and take out a pump or something else? is this ritght or was I just told a story by someone guessing. I was thinking orignaly that it was just slack in a old rear end, but now I think it could be the trany and the clutches sliping and then quickly engaging. probably not a good sign

any body out there that can tell me FOR SURE if it's alright to go ahead and change the oil, or if I should't tought it?? If the trany is bad, is it better to rebuild or buy a reman from summit or something for 600 it's got a 360hp sb chev engine in a heavy car
Old 03-03-2002, 10:27 PM
ASE Master

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Difinetly a transmission slipping problem, would try filter and fluid change, one way or another a fix or rebuild any way. Saw message about afraid to change fluid but its a try it. I think trans needs rebuild.If it were rear end with that much slop it woudn't be able to roll at any speed. And would be clanking real bad!!!! snkbyt
Old 03-03-2002, 10:29 PM
ASE Master

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Difinetly a transmission slipping problem, would try filter and fluid change, one way or another a fix or rebuild any way. Saw message about afraid to change fluid but its a try it. I think trans needs rebuild.If it were rear end with that much slop it woudn't be able to roll at any speed. And would be clanking real bad!!!! snkbyt
Old 03-05-2002, 05:37 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Yes if you change the fluid in the trans without draining the converter you could create future troubles. I would suggest either draining the converter with the trans(some Ford converters came with drain plugs, not sure about Chevy)even if it means pulling the trans, or finding a shop with a power flush machine. Our machine flushes the trans, converter,cooler, and lines all at once. I know it sounds like urban legend but I've seen tranny's go boom shortly after mixing old burnt converter fluid with new.
Old 03-06-2002, 08:32 PM

Hey, tanks for the Info Dmorris. I was sure that someone told me that I'd have problems if I changed the fluid, I just dind't remember It was mixing old and new that would be the problem. Too bad I didn't here that sooner, because just 3 days ago I had the engine out of it. O well, I'll check around and find a shop with a flush machine. It's kinda funny because a PepBoy's mechanic told me there was no way you could flush out a trany, right after I had herd about one of the flush machines. It just gose to show you that you have to get more than one or two oppinions on somethings that you don't know much about to make sure someone's not trying to sell you snake oil or something.
Old 03-07-2002, 03:25 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

We have two machines at the dealership I work at. We got ours I believe from a company called B&G, they also supply the cleaner and fluid conditioner that we use with the machine. I'm sure there must be some shops in your area with something similar. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2002, 08:29 PM

Thumbs up

Oops, after reading my previous message, I thing I might have given the wrong impression. I had herd from a TV show like Horsepower TV that they had Transmission Flushing machines. So I know that they exist, Dmorris, you just reminded me of it, and reminded me of the Mechanic just trying to sell me a rebuild from his shop, cuz he didn't have such a machine
so thanks for the right info
Old 03-11-2002, 07:46 AM

Sounds like a definate trans problem.I would first ck trans fluid level hot if ok try forward and reverse to see if it also does same in reverse.Also try in manual low to ck valve body operation as well as band apply.If it still slips the bands and clutches may be worn out. The convertor may be bad.You may want to decide at this point if an overhaul or replacement is what you need considering mileage.Best ck is to put pressure gauge on trans this will give you very accurate story of overall condition. Fluid chane is an option, but if it's been going on for a while,most likely the damage is already done.

NOVA JEFF
Old 10-11-2002, 06:20 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

If there is a long delay engaging from a stop, it is likely that the fluid is low or the transmission needs rebuilding. Changing the fluid and filter will not correct the problem. It may mask it by making it work better for a short time, but not fix it. Changing the filter because it is full does not repair anything in an automatic. There should be nothing to fill the filter. If there is something plugging the filter, there is a serious problem in the trans that should be fixed. The problem with changing fluid and the trans going out right afterwards is not the fluid in the convertor. The problem, usually with Fords, is that the dirty fluid has caused a varnish like build-up in the trans. The new fluid is highly detergent and cleans this build-up off and it plugs up everything. If you want to see how well it cleans, try washing your hands next time they get greasy, using new trans fluid. That is what I used for 10 years when I worked in a transmission shop.
Old 10-12-2002, 02:36 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Thumbs up

[quote]The new fluid is highly detergent and cleans this build-up off and it plugs up everything. If you want to see how well it cleans, try washing your hands next time they get greasy, using new trans fluid. That is what I used for 10 years when I worked in a transmission shop.<hr></blockquote>

Hmm...

Never thought of that...

Learn something new everyday.

dmorris...You are correct about the flushing, but it depends on how bad the damage has progressed in the trans.

Did you get the Private Message I sent you?

[ October 12, 2002: Message edited by: KULTULZ ]</p>
Old 10-12-2002, 05:02 PM

People! People!!
What does it cost to change out the fluid/filter?
Most manufacturers say around 30k miles!!
I change mine at...yearly!!!
I can't afford for the Trans to fail!!
I am out in the desert/mountains prospecting for months at a time!
A failure out there could include ME!!
And I use the good stuff that contains MDS!
BOY! I love my machine(ry)!!! :p
Old 10-12-2002, 05:09 PM

OOPS!
I forgot to add...most trans shops won't change the oil/filter if they know that you don't do so at the scheduled times!!
You're asking for BIG! Trouble, (with a big "T") if you change something that has gone very/that long w/o the change!!!
Change it yourself!
First put in a drain plug!
Oops! Again! Make that "second", "first" remove the pan!
Old 10-12-2002, 05:35 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

I hate to quote from my text books, but here it goes (this is not an exact quote). Modern tranny fluid (dexron II/III etc.) is designed to last 100,000+ miles if operating temp. is 175 degrees farenheit or less. For every 20 degrees hotter it cuts this amount in half, example: 215 degrees would only yield about 25,000 miles before service is needed. Rule of thumb is, if you know the fluid has more than 50,000 miles on it varnish is something to consider. However in this case changing the fluid is "worth a try".

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.