tri-power - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2006, 11:05 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

tri-power

putting a plan together for some tri power and am wondering if anyone would have information on a source for the carbs, I am not interested in junk to rebuild, primarily I am seeking a resource that offers the carbs (only) for sale. Any input here is welcomed. Thanks in advance

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2006, 11:40 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Try this site: http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/

They have carbs, parts, and tri-power setups.
Also some good tech. info.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:04 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Vintage Speed has Holley 94's and Rochester 2G's and others. Just click on the Category button and pick which carbs your interested in.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Mean Mother USA

Last photo:

More Complex Than You Think...

2-11-06

Visit My Photo Gallery Read My Articles Under 1954 Olds Experiment,i.e. I 've Owned 3 Tri-Power Corvettes---Still Have 1968 Corvette!

My 1949 (Stock) & 1950 Olds (Not Stock) & 1954 Olds (Not Stock) Tri-Powers(Olds Was Way Ahead Of Its Time)-- Still Have My 1954-- If You Don't Use Factory Setups You Will Do Nothing But Bog Down @ Red Light (Gag Gas ) Unless You Can Convert 2 End- Factory Rodchesters On Exp. Elderbrock Intake (Useless-I Sold It) End Carburetors Must Be Non-Idle,i.e. They Just Dump Gas!

Worst: Todays Corn Fed Gasoline With House Hold Cleaners Kick Up The Octane--Adds More Problems Make It Idle Not Alone Run Right...Pump Gasoline Approx 81,82,83 Octane--Thrown In Hi Lift Cam, Etc.More Problems -Back 50's,60's You Could Buy 118 Octane @ Sunoco Pump PA!

Not Discourage You: Might Just Want Go With Holley,i.e. 4bbl ,650 cfm--But, Then You Didn't Say What Engine Set Up Car You Have?

ETAL: I Visited Vintage Carbs--Expensive $Prices If You Can Afford It--I 'd Rather Make And Convert My Own Trick Progressive Linkage As I Do On All Tri My Power Sets Ups--
Whence I Put Pedal To Metal It Doesn't Break Off In Pieces Causing End Carbs Stay Open And--- Thats Enough Scare Hell Outa Anybody Even @ 80 MPH...

You Have Lot To Learn--Experience Being Is Your Best Teacher...

Vincent Auto...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gregengine2.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	9972   Click image for larger version

Name:	gregengine1-1.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	9975  

Last edited by Mean@MeanMother.Com; 02-11-2006 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 02-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Rooster

Summit has new 2G carbs; Performance Automotive Warehouse (PAW) has new numbers matching correct holleys for 67 corvettes for less than you can buy a rotten one on ebay. PAW also sells all the linkage, fuel logs and fittings, air cleaners and adapters you may need, as well as 3x2 intakes for almost every engine ever made except the big block chevy. as a last resort (and I say last resort only because of their prices...) go to www.hotrodcarbs.com. if it can be done, they can do it.

good luck; you're gonna need it running three two's...
Old 02-12-2006, 04:56 PM

3-2's

I don't know what kinda money you want to spend, but BG has a 3- 2 setup that will knock your socks off.. Pretty pricey tho. It's what I would use if I had the dough...JMHO...............GlennK
Old 02-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Gotta love the classics

Last photo:

^^^^^that one is real pricey though
Old 02-13-2006, 06:47 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

thank you, gentlemen I will look into these links :-D
Old 02-13-2006, 06:53 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

If you can only find standard carbs, you can block the idle passages on the end carbs with epoxy. Just get a good manual covering the carbs so you know for sure you're just blocking the idle passage! Any factory and most Chilton's manuals will have the info to find the passage.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:29 AM
Marcel

Last journal entry: Choo-choo town
Last photo:

3x2's

I'm just a country boy, but back in the 60's, I bought a 57, 327, 3 speed with 3x2's. You know everybody new how to adjust them. After a while, I learned to let sleeping dogs lie. It had a progressive linkage, I'd close off the front and rear carb idle screws( back off or out) this stopped the eng. from pulling fuel in at id el. I'd adjust the center carb. using a vacuum gage to the highest reading I could get. I'd start adjusting the front and rear carbs. at 1 turn out, and just drive it and adjust it from there, increase it if weak until it got worse the back up. Took a while, but time was cheap, and so was gas. .26 cents a gallon. Now I know about jet changing a such. All in all, if you don't just want the ex-per., I buy it ready to run.
PS be sure to give them all the info you can to determine what you'll need. So much has changed, Oct. gear ratio's. Perfections cost, How good do you want to be. The front to rear carbs. were connected on the right(passenger) side. Center to front left( driver) side to the front with a slide adjustment as to when it'd pull in the f & r carbs.The biggest problem was adjusting it so all three were wide open at full thrilled. Happy Trails

Last edited by lanierledford; 02-13-2006 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:50 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanierledford
.......After a while, I learned to let sleeping dogs lie. It had a progressive linkage, I'd close off the front and rear carb idle screws( back off or out) this stopped the eng. from pulling fuel in at id el.........
If you had idle adjustment screws on your outboard carbs then you had the wrong carbs. The correct outboard carbs don't have idle adjustment screws, only the center carb. That was your problem.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:52 AM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

If your looking to purchase used this Guy had just about every set up I could imagine

352-542-8085
oldgoldcars@aol.com

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 02-13-2006, 09:47 AM
Marcel

Last journal entry: Choo-choo town
Last photo:

3x2's

I didn't have a problem, I had a solutions. Back then we had what they are now calling RAT RODDERS. You did the best you could with what you had. I haven't watched them , but it sounds like those survival show they have on TV nowadays. I do know that if you didn't keep it on the floor, it'd get 17 mpg, and that was good for a V8 in tho's days, and wasn't no slough in the mid 60's in my neck of the woods. I still say, buy what you can afford. If you build a fast car, someones going to build one faster. If you build a pretty car, some can build a prettier car, but that don't make your ugly.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:04 AM

Last photo:

3X2s

You can use 3 carbs alike as long as you plug the idle circuits in the end carbs. True, the "correct" carbs don't have idle screws or circuits. They also don't have the brackets to attach a throttle on the left side. You will have to find the modified throttle shafts and linkage. The benifit is that you can go to a country wrecking yard and pull 3 carbs alike with the right base for your manifold. Sometimes you can dig through a bin full of hundreds that they sell to rebuilders and find 3 cores in good shape. If you have the time, you could find, rebuild and fabricate 3 carbs(less manifold) for around $200.

If you are good with this kind of thing, fabricating a vacume linkage would keep the engine from bogging every time you got too heavy on the throttle.

For me, I'm too old and fat and lazy and I have too much money to want to spend the time and effort but $2,400 for a Tripple D setup is tough to swallow when all the parts are at Speedway, Summit, Jeggs and PAW.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw Bob
You can use 3 carbs alike as long as you plug the idle circuits in the end carbs. True, the "correct" carbs don't have idle screws or circuits. They also don't have the brackets to attach a throttle on the left side. You will have to find the modified throttle shafts and linkage.
For the outboard carbs to perform correctly you'll also have to replace the butterflies. The correct ones are heavier and ground at a different angle so they will completely seal where the others won't and if not replaced the result will be a small vacuum leak.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.