Hot Rod Forum banner

Tri star engines 427 sbc

22K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  vinniekq2 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys what do u think of this combo? It seems like a great bang for the buck, but the price also seems too good to be true??? For 6500, seems very cheap. Considering a shafiroff 427 sbc is 9000 to 10,000!

What do you guys think?

Tri star 427 dart long block

#10 ·
I see:

2618 Forged Pistons

4340 Forged H-Beam Rods.

What I don't see is who makes them. Big difference in a part that's been fully inspected/backed by a reputable company and a generic imported part that carries an unknown or "off" brand. Not that Scat isn't imported (don't know if the raw castings/forgings are sent here for machining, or what), but they seem to do a better job than some of inspection and/or specifying/applying the spec tolerances.

#6 ·
one thing about a shafiroff engine is it is what he says.It will perform as advertised.My friend John Graham in Calgary bought a 9.90 motor from him and it never had any problems.Standard freshen ups after 2 seasons(or less) depending on the activity.John doesnt just compete,he has been track champion several times and always places. That of course is more driving than engine,but you need reliability and consistency.

What I would do is;
price out the parts listed for the build and consider if you would use the same parts if you built the engine yourself.Then see how much profit the builder is making.
Do not consider the discount he might get because it does not apply to you.If you can replicate all the parts and have the engine machined a lot cheaper and you feel you have the experience to assemble the engine as well then you will have 2 choices
factor in when you will get the engine.and see if there is any warranty? Not selling Shaf engines,but he will sub out parts if you ask,usually to upgrade

#18 ·
Hey guys I have a few concerns about this engine was wondering if you guys could help me out. First of all I was concerned about the 4 inch stroke this engine I've heard that it can be problematic it's not the best set up. I have also heard horror stories about 427 small block oil pan fitment something like you can only use every other bolts because of clearance issue is there any issue with this? Also I'm concerned with oil consumption with the 427 small block? Also are there any issues with running one of these darts locks on the street

#19 ·
milodon makes a nice oil pan that utilizes every bolt and clears the crank/rods.
if proper rings/honing procedures are used, oil consumption should be no higher than any other small block of similar configuration (hot street use, drag race, circle track etc.)
not sure which dart block they are using, but there should be no issue using any quality block from dart, world, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.