Trick of the week,mini air saw conversion - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2014, 08:16 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I wasnt sure if I should post this one since I posted it a few years ago but louvers are such a pain to get paint out of ...my pictures are all in a USB and unorginized so I have to scroll through them untill I find what I'm looking for .One good thing about it is I find some I forgot about like this one..If I ever got orginized I'd never find anything...I'm sure theres a lot of guys that know and use the same tricks...It would be hard not to come up with the same solution to a problem when you get millions of guys doing the same work for many years...all these tips we learn after lifetime of working can really help the next generation of body and paint guys and serious hobbiests...Da 34 has a point if you've ever sanded till your fingers hurt or bleed then wake up and do it all over again a smart man would be thinking about doing it an easier way...
Sanding Louvers! Why I oughta! I remember back when I was walking to work up hill both ways in the snow.
Man I sanded so many louvers between coats of lacquer on 33-36 Ford hoods at a restoration shop I worked at my fingers were raw! I then sanded every single spec of texture out of them, we are talking smooth as glass without one single spec of texture for buffing and would hand buff them!

Young punks and their air saw tricks.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 09:00 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Sanding Louvers! Why I oughta! I remember back when I was walking to work up hill both ways in the snow.
Man I sanded so many louvers between coats of lacquer on 33-36 Ford hoods at a restoration shop I worked at my fingers were raw! I then sanded every single spec of texture out of them, we are talking smooth as glass without one single spec of texture for buffing and would hand buff them!

Brian
LOL, How well I remember my sand paper wrapped around the end of a paint stick doing my '36 Ford hood.

I kept telling myself how much fun it was. What a liar I am......

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 10:29 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

john , these are the handiest tools you can have. you can buy new feet for them and grind and shape them for multiple uses. i have a bunch of them .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shine For This Useful Post:
John long (01-13-2014), tech69 (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 10:54 AM
Heathen

Last photo:

A slight change of topic. Not a mini saw, but a full size sawzall:

MixKwik - Aerosal Can & Spray Paint Shaker

I've also just hose clamped the can to a long blade, works well.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:41 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine View Post
i have worn out several of these over the years. for 30 bucks you cant beat them. you can get all grits for them or make your own.
9.99 for an almost useless HF mini saw ...I've had mine for years but its been in a drawer for most of that time...My wife has one of those sanders for her arts & crafts stuff...never thought of using it for body work
Old 01-13-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post

Brian
Awe you lacquer guys and your hand rubbing....tried it once ...don't work to well with urethane clear...didn't work so well when I used lacquer either come to think of it....I'm just now getting the hang of buffing like a pro thanks to chem guys....and Shine ,mostly Shine I never would have tried it if he didn't highly recomend it.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo View Post
A slight change of topic. Not a mini saw, but a full size sawzall:

MixKwik - Aerosal Can & Spray Paint Shaker

I've also just hose clamped the can to a long blade, works well.
OMG, That's cool ,why didn't I ever think of that? next time I need to shake up some guide coat or trim black I know just what to use...or that dam undercoat that never seems to have any balls in it ...BTW does bulldog adhesion promoter have balls that rattle or not ? no matter how long I shake it No rattles...
Old 01-15-2014, 10:15 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine View Post
john , these are the handiest tools you can have. you can buy new feet for them and grind and shape them for multiple uses. i have a bunch of them .
Thanks for the tip, I have one of those Ryobi versions out in the wood shop, found it to be near useless, just a tad bit better then my Porter Cable Profile sander.
My dad kept telling me how awesome the newer multi tools are, but I wasnt interested in them as I figured they are just a new version of 2 items in the sanding cabinet that I dont use.
I needed to cut some thin kerfs in some wood last summer, so I broke down and listened to Dad and went and purchased a Dremel Multi Max 45, variable speed with quick detach blades .
This tool is incredible, works awesome.
The tool rotates its output arbor in a short arc of 4 degrees or so.
Using the round blade should give a nice sanding action
The circular shaped attachment with some psa paper on both sides should work well on the louvers

Thanks Shine, I had never thought about using the dust collectors for any auto work, plain forgot they are in the back of the cabinet.
When I go out to the shop today I am going to get the MM45 out and see how well it works on those louvers

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.