Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Tricks for opening a frozen hood on '41 Chevy?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 01:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Tricks for opening a frozen hood on '41 Chevy?

We've got a '41 chev that's been sitting out in the mud behind the barn for about 40 years now ( to the point where a couple trees grew up into the fenders on one side, ) and we finally got it freed from it's entoombment after LOTS of monkeying around and creative use of greaseboards,
but anyway, a few years back we had suffered some vandalism on some other vehicles down there and I closed the hood on the thing.... Bad idea. Now I've found the hood release cable frozen solid. I've been spraying it and as far in as I can get with Kroil for a few months now, but even with a big set of pliers on there, I cant get that cable to budge.
Once we get this thing on the lift is there anyway to reach up in there and pop this thing or do I need to fill a garden sprayer with kroil and just saturate up under the hood and hope it soaks down in enough after a while to break something free, or ...gulp, take a sawzall to the hood mechinism and try to find a replacement or weld it back together after?
I'm open to anything that hopefully sounds better than what Ive come up with .
Thanks------Robert