Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Tricks for opening a frozen hood on '41 Chevy?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 12:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldBodyman View Post
From the pics you linked to it looks like a simple spring catch like an old VW bug
SO
drill a 1' hole in the splash pan and run a long screw driver up to the spring then have a friend run another screw driver thru the grille to work the first against the spring and open the hood. Remember the hinges are rusty, open slowly, don't bend the hood.

Have fun with it.
After looking at it.... A lot, that's starting to sound like a winner . Ive got a large set of metal holesaws so I should be able to replace the removed plug cleanly (or leave it open as an emergency release access for the future :- )At least I did have the good sense to shoot down the hood hinges and springs with lube before I shut the thing so it * should* open cleanly once we get the latch problem out of the way. I had shot some down the hood release mechinisms as well, but I didn't think that there was a remote release cable on that year and didn't think to check for operation.