Well, we got it open. After messing with it enough, we finally got the hood to pry open enough to be able to get a sawzall blade in there. They made that latch bolt out of REAL metal, went through two brand new carbide blades to slice one latch bolt, but it finally gave way to reveal a shockingly clean engine compartment in relation to the amount of rust and animal nesting that had taken over the rest of the poor thing.
Since were just looking to turn this into a driver with a mild restoration and not go nuts on it, it's beginning to look like not too bad a project.
Then we got a real treat, on cleaning out the nests from the back seat, we found a brand new rear fender to replace one that was damaged along with some other interesting artifacts..... like the complete operating mechanism from an old player piano , including the whole works from under the keyboard