Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Tricks for opening a frozen hood on '41 Chevy?
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 05:10 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fool View Post
What were you using for blades? Freud Diablo or ?
I have seen the carbide blades but never could pull the trigger due to the price.
Sorry, I can't remember the brand, but those suckers were about ten bucks each. First one fried itself right through and finally got thin and broke, the second just wore out but I managed to fight it through till the pin popped, and I was working the blade to make maximum usage of as much of the abrasive surface as I could reach in there, but I think that big old nasty spring around the latch bolt was giving the things a workout

I cant be sure considering the combination of metals involved, but I'd be hard pressed to say that those carbide blades are any better than the regular metal cutting blades, in fact, i think next time im going to save my money. I shouldnt think that it should take 2 blades to get through basically half a spring and most of a roughly 1/2" hardened bolt ( it didnt go all the way through but with about 1/16" left the bolt cocked sideways and I could pop it from there )

I may break down and grab another one just to do a side by side test just to make sure, hardened bolts can be ornery. The decades of rust on that thing may be clouding my judgement.