Tricks for removal and replacing th-350 bushings - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2006, 03:18 PM
72 Nova, 65 Rambler, 37 Chevy

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tricks for removal and replacing th-350 bushings

Doing a rebuild of my th-350 and Im having a hard time removing the bushings, I can see that it will probably be even harder to get the new ones back in? Can anyone give me some pointers on how to do this? I have Ron Sessions book and cutting it out and driving it out has worked on a few of them so far. (I don't have bushing drivers, and the stores I have looked for them don't have the correct sizes and ones that do are sold separately and very expensive) How the hell are you suppose to get the 3 bushings that are in the stator shaft? on the pump? Can I do it without drivers? Should I just reuse them if they look good? can I use the old bushing to drive a new one back in? HELP!?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2006, 08:55 PM

Now you know ONE of the reasons we get paid to do this. Bushing drivers are not cheap and are required to correctly perform this task. ALL the bushings need to be checked for size and side play. If the bushing fits over the shaft it rides on and has less than .003" side play it will be OK. Good luck with that in a T350. Perhaps a local trans shop will help you for a small fee. Call first and be prepared to leave the parts for pick-up later.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Changing all the bushings is a chore but can be done if you really dig around for the correct diameter anything to use!
LOL Chazmac is correct, it is a job best left to the pros if you don't have the correct tools. I used a long punch that I sharpened long one sided point so I could get behind the bushing and peel a slice of it out then remove it. I was able to find everything I need in my tool box for re-install. Just measure the depth of each one before removing. OR take it to a shop and pay them to remove and re-install them, its worth the money in my book.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:56 PM

Last photo:

I use a universal cam bearing installer/remover. A cam bearing is basically the same as a trans bushing.

TH350's are rougher on bushings due to design, so ensuring the bushings are in good shape is important to keep everything riding on center.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:22 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeshoe
I use a universal cam bearing installer/remover. A cam bearing is basically the same as a trans bushing.
What kind of cam bearing installer do you have that can drive that small of a bushing?
Old 05-29-2006, 09:26 AM

Last photo:

It is made by Lisle, sold by all the tool trucks under their own name.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:07 AM

Last photo:

Here's a link to the kind of universal cam bearing installation tool Jakeshoe is referring to:

http://www.bobstools.net/Store/LS18000.html

The local trans shop wanted $150 to install a complete bushing set in my th350. Jakeshoe was helping me with my rebuild at the time and turned me on to this very cam bearing installation tool. I got mine used on ebay for $87. It has expandable bearing driver plugs and it works great for installing all of the trans bushings.

Last edited by Hoptup32; 05-29-2006 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:26 PM

Last photo:

$150 HOLY ****!!!! I'll call around my shops and see what they can do for me, While I'm at it....can someone tell me how many bushings I should be replacing? My kit cam with 12 and some plastic thingy, But I can only count 11 bushings in my trans???

Thanks
Old 05-30-2006, 11:11 PM

Last photo:

Well I called around today and found a shop that would replace them all for $45! One shop wanted 100... Anyways I can still only count 11 bushings to replace, but have one extra and a plastic one. I guess it depends on the year for the plastic type but cant find where the other one goes?

Thanks everyone
Old 05-31-2006, 10:26 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

If my memory serves me correctly, the plastic piece you are speaking of MAY be the bushing/sleeve that joins/seals the input and output shafts together. Seem to remember one in my 350 last year. A rebuild book will help sort out that plastic piece since I seem to remember that some used it and others used something else, depending on the design.

Mark

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.