Trimming Carb Base Gasket - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2006, 11:30 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Trimming Carb Base Gasket

Continuation of Edelbrock 1400 Performer Tuning challenge. Just finished cleaning & installing rebuild kit in nearly new 1400 carb. I noticed that the kit had a new thin base gasket with it that has a larger inner bore area. We are using the thick heat shield base gasket on a performer manifold. The thicker base gasket partially obstructs airflow to the front and rear (PCV valve port & brake booster port) along with a smaller machined artery on the forward passenger side of the carb. Anyone know a reason that I shouldn't trim the gasket to allow for unobstructed airflow to those machined arteries?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2006, 12:52 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

sounds alright to me id try it
Old 09-03-2006, 02:28 PM

Last photo:

I have 2 new 1404s on a Edelbrock street tunnel ram on my 396 powered T-Bucket. I just finished the nightmare of tuning these POS and they now, run fine. Let me know if you have any trouble (LOL)and I will let you know what I did to make them work.

Also, I would match the Edelbrock gasket exactly. These things are very sensitive to everything you do. You might wet the gasket slightly and then install the carb. It should leave you with a perfect templet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick19642001
Continuation of Edelbrock 1400 Performer Tuning challenge. Just finished cleaning & installing rebuild kit in nearly new 1400 carb. I noticed that the kit had a new thin base gasket with it that has a larger inner bore area. We are using the thick heat shield base gasket on a performer manifold. The thicker base gasket partially obstructs airflow to the front and rear (PCV valve port & brake booster port) along with a smaller machined artery on the forward passenger side of the carb. Anyone know a reason that I shouldn't trim the gasket to allow for unobstructed airflow to those machined arteries?
Old 09-03-2006, 02:35 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

tuning 1 is pretty easy i think, 2 is a different story
Old 09-03-2006, 10:47 PM

Last photo:

I bought the car knowing I would have to work out the problems of a newly built Hot Rod, built by a guy that did great body and paint work. His problem was engines. Once I figured out that the carbs wouldn't work with less than 7 inches of vacuum, I changed the cam to a 270 deg Crane from a 305 deg Comp on the 396 Chevy and started woking on the jets. It immediately went lean with the vacuum so I had to go up to the largest jet and rod combo for this carb. Then I finished with the silver springs.
It runs good, still a little lean but not melting the headers like it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runn141
tuning 1 is pretty easy i think, 2 is a different story

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.