Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#153 ·
curtis73 said:
It doesn't show up in the Standard Catalog of American Cars, but its possible
That's because it's a truck.

curtis73 said:
I think I recall that from a GMC pickup... and the Oshawa plant is in a suburb of Toronto.
scrimshaw said:
Did GMC make a passenger wagon called the gaucho, also called the Beaville in some places.
You're both on the right track, but Curtis was the first to mention GMC, which is the answer I was looking for.

The Gaucho was one of the models of G series full-size vans offered by GMC in the mid 1970's. I suspect that the Gaucho was a Canadian market vehicle, but I'm not sure. They are very rare. This is the best picture I could come up with on a Google image search:

(seriously, that's the best I could find)

My neighbor had one of these when I was a kid. It is the only one I've ever seen. In my area, they called this a GMC Rally or Vandura, and it's Chevy equivalent was the Beauville. Beauvilles started as a 4 door Bel-Air station wagon in 1955.

In case anyone's wondering, the Caballero Diablo was one of the GMC versions of the El Camino. It had a huge decal on the hood similar to what a Firebird had.

Wow, I thought this would have been an easy question.

Curtis, the floor is yours....

#155 ·
#161 ·
#162 ·
Joe G said:
And apparently they're making them to this day.
A quote from the Fargo wiki article...

The name Fargo was discontinued after 1972 for Canada, but lived longer for other countries around the world under the Chrysler Corporation's badge engineering marketing approach. Most of the Fargo trucks and bus chassis sold in Argentina, Finland, Australia, India, and other countries in Europe and Asia were made in Chrysler's Kew (UK) plant. Most were also sold under the Dodge and Commer names.

The Fargo brand still exists in Turkey, where Fargo and DeSoto trucks are made by Askam Kamyon Imalat with no technical or business connection with Chrysler.

#164 ·
OK....WTH? I am waiting.......[toes go tap..tap...tap...]Hmmmmmpphh, cough, cough, are you guys waiting for me to leave? c'mon, who's turn is it. I say if it ain't posted by noon it defaults to the first dude that posts....C'mon 5 speed, work ain't that important to survival, letssss goooo! :D

Just another mindless bump... :thumbup:

#165 ·
Ok, it's past noon, I can't wait!!

What is the difference between a 64 1/5 Mustang hood an a 65?

And for bonus points, big time bonus points. What is the difference in the passenger front seat the first two weeks of production compared to the rest?

Brian

#166 ·
heck, I'll give this one a shot...Didn't the 64 stand have chrome trim on the hood, and the 65 didn't?? And as far as the bonus, another guess, they changed from Gen. to Alternator...Once again a guess..I think I remember ready that they changed that over very very early on in the 'stangs life....

If I am far off, then don't laugh too hard..lol :rolleyes:

scr8pin :cool:

I just saw that the difference was with the seat, so I am clueless on the bonus...I'll guess that they added the chrome trim to the back edges of the seat..?? :confused:

#167 ·
Nope and nope. The hood is physically different, not just the chrome. The seat, again is different and more than just how it looks.
Yes they did have the generator to alternator change.

Brian

#171 ·
"Very early hoods had folded over lip, no dimples, and no holes for leading edge chrome trim. Intermediate hoods have unfolded lip, small dimples, and no holes for chrome trim. The intermediate hood with the unfolded edges was also used on early 65 cars. Later 65 hoods have the lip folded again, have small dimples, and add the holes for the chrome trim. Later replacement hoods and 66 hoods have larger dimples than the 65 hoods, and still have the folded lip with the holes for the chrome trim."

Found that on the web.

#173 ·
I have never known them to go back and forth with the folded lip. You have the floor 5 Speed. But just for fun, where is this folded or unfolded lip? It never really says exactly where the folded lip is. The "dimples", I have no idea what they are talking about.

The front fenders and extentions are also different, as is the side "Mustang" emblems.

Brian

#174 ·
MARTINSR said:
I have never known them to go back and forth with the folded lip. You have the floor 5 Speed. But just for fun, where is this folded or unfolded lip? It never really says exactly where the folded lip is. The "dimples", I have no idea what they are talking about.

The front fenders and extentions are also different, as is the side "Mustang" emblems.

Brian

There's a sharp leading edge (front of the hood) where you can see that the hood lip hadn't been crimped properly. It was supposed to be folded under, but the Dearborn assembly plant has a defective die which wasn't producing correct parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.