Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#252 ·
mercmad63 said:
How big are these Lincolns ?, the mercedes 600 is big and the pullman version is bigger again and they are unibody.Not quiz question BTW,just curious.

That's a big Benz. It is longer in length and wheelbase than the '58 Continental. The one pictured also happens to be a "Pope-mobile." The Pope also had a 1965 Lincoln Limo, which was slightly larger than the M-B 600 Pullman, and also a unibody.

This is the version that was available to the public through Lincoln dealers.

Here are the dimensions:

So who's got the next question?

#254 · (Edited)
The mercedes 600 was a production car,although they only built 2500 of them in all forms. The Popes car ( one of several the vatican have) looks short because of it's bigger windows.Not the sort of thing dignitaries are encouraged to ride in these days... :D
OK,I'll volenteer a question.

We all have a garage, a place at home to park the car,park the mother in law ,keep extra Stuff,have sales from ,hide from the spouse etc etc . But who actually invented the home garage?

#257 ·
C-10 said:
For sake of argument, the "merc" or that 'limo thing' wasn't a production car was it??
Well, for the sake of argument, that all depends on what your definition of the term 'production car' is. :)

I hear you saying, "that is obviously a conversion done by an outside company; that thing didn't roll off the assembly line like that."
Which is absolutely true. But it is also true of most GM and Chrysler convertibles built in the last 30 years or so. These convertibles started life as coupes, and were sent to an outside contractor to be converted into convertibles. Do you consider them production vehicles?

Sorry, sometimes I can't resist a friendly argument

......................................................................................................

Back to the question,
mercmad63 said:
We all have a garage, a place at home to park the car,park the mother in law ,keep extra Stuff,have sales from ,hide from the spouse etc etc . But who actually invented the home garage?
Wild guess:

Sears Roebuck and Co.

#258 ·
nope not sears,or JC whitney :D ... but a hint,The company bearing the inventors name ceased being an entity recently after 100 years of being used as a trademark.

The 600 landau aka popemobile was built by mercedes,they did all their own work,no outside contractors were involved since before WW2. There was only one right hand drive landau built,I had the oppurtunity to look close at it a couple of months ago. A seriously BIG car,and it has always been privately owned unlike most of the others which were owned by governments and despots of various sorts.

#268 ·
Nightrider said:
So, thread seems to be stopped...
This thread hasn't stopped, I don't know what the question is or who has the floor right now is the problem!

This has been a blast, let's get it back on track.

Is this the last question asked?

What's main difference (or even improvement) between VAZ-2105 engine and previous ones?

And did Joe answer it correctly?

Brian

#269 ·
No, I wasn't paying attention. After reviewing the last few pages, I now realize that Nightrider's last post was the answer to his last question.

I wanna know who invented the home garage. I googled the hell out of it, and still can't find the answer.

I believe the floor is open to whoever wants to ask a question, but the rules around here are pretty vague.

Somebody ask a question.

#276 ·
SORRY GUYS,I've been under car all day. It was Ransom Ely Olds! He built the first home garage and even named it as such.
Scrimshaw ,you nailed it!. I have a large collection of car books and that little gem was in one of those small books Floyd Clymer published in the early 50's.
They cover everything concerning Americas early motoring days. And i suspect mr Clymer may have known Olds personally . Floyd Clymer was alos the youngest ever car dealer in the USA,at 12 years old he was dealing new cars!. The world needs a few more like him think to get us out of the toilet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.