Thread: Trivia thread
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 09:47 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

260 not 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I know this wasn't the question, but I am jelous you answered the others correctly and not me. But being Shelby put a 260 and not a 289 in the first "AC/Cobras" I am thinking you need to loose some points.

Brian

PS. Rumor has it that Shelby went to AC telling them he had Fords support to build this V8 sports car with their motor (which he didn't) and went to Ford and told them of the plans saying that he had AC's support (which he didn't) and that the whole thing was a scam!
MARTINSR is right about the 260 being the first engine! I keep forgetting that the 289 was not the first small block ford. I also keep forgetting about the chevy 265. He is also right about Carrol Shelby playing both ends against the middle. I heard it straight from his mouth about fifteen years ago on a television interview. But sometimes if you have a great idea and you can't get anyone to listen, you have to bullskate a little. It's called being a salesman and a deal maker. Just think what would have happened if it didn't work. It had to have been a lot of pressure on Carrol because what he wanted was a factory produced car that could compete against the Corvette in production class racing. He could have bought say twenty of them and converted them but then they would not have been factory production. I almost think that something similar was planed for the Mazda Miata. If you have ever worked on one of these little cars and seen how stiff the chassis is and the excellent four wheel unequal length A-arm suspension and if you have also seen how easy it is to install a 302/5.0 in one of them, then I think you would agree with me.

Thanks guys! I'll plan on having a question up in the morning.

Last edited by Chris Kemp; 02-01-2009 at 09:57 PM.