Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Trivia thread
Thread: Trivia thread
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 10:56 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Dream Truck

The "Dream Truck" the creation of the persistent leadership of Spencer Murray the first editor of Rod & Custom magazine was the first vehicle to receive a documented small-block Chevy engine swap. The project started with custom modifications, performed by a who's who of customizers, on a factory-fresh 1954 Chevy truck cab. Sam Gates chopped the top 3-3/8 inches and sectioned the body 5-1/3 inches. Neil Emory and Clay Jensen of Valley Custom finished the chop and sectioning work, and hand-formed the beautiful dashboard. Curly Davis finished the dashboard, integrated it into the door design, and widened the rear window. After Gene Winfield radiused the front-wheel cutouts and sectioned the hood, Barris Kustom added quad headlights, scoops to the roof and hood, and front and rear grille openings formed by molding together '54 Stude�baker front pans. Bob Hirohata added the clear front and translucent red rear turn-signal lights. Later, Bob Metz formed the wild scratch-built canted fins. Each of these craftsmen proved integral in the development of the truck.

I know all of this because I helped on the restoration of it in 1980.
Here's an old picture of it that I scanned into the computer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dream-truck-custom-car-1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	36188  

Last edited by Chris Kemp; 02-10-2009 at 11:32 AM.