Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#1,981 ·
35terraplane said:
Was done with steam power Jan. 1906 on Ormond beach went 127.7 MPH

Bob

I still miss my ex-wife, :(

but my aim is getting better. :D :thumbup:
I guess Bill went to bed.

My Grandfather told me back in the 50s that they did it by wrapping 2 miles of piano wire around the boiler and raising the pop-off valve pressure setting, but I can't verify that today.
Steam qualifies as the obvious answer anyway...So Bob has the floor...........and probably some sort of cool by-line...go for it Hudson Dude :welcome:

#1,983 ·
Too cold to go outside and play!

OLNOLAN said:
It appears the page had switched and I didn't realize you had already answered. Excuse me. :thumbup: olnolan
Hey OL,
I didn't even realize it until just now. I must have been thinking that it was you who posed that question and that you were acknowledging my answer. If I win again in the future, I'll do a lateral pass to you and we'll be even. :thumbup:

#1,984 ·
trivia

Duntov said:
Hey OL,
I didn't even realize it until just now. I must have been thinking that it was you who posed that question and that you were acknowledging my answer. If I win again in the future, I'll do a lateral pass to you and we'll be even. :thumbup:
Who actually created drawings for a self - propelled vehicle,
What year?

These drawings represented the first known conception of the automobile.

Hudson Dude Bob

The car stopped on a dime. :D :thumbup:

Which unfortunately was in a pedestrians pocket. :drunk: :pain: :spank:

#1,985 ·
Are you up Nolan?

35terraplane said:
Who actually created drawings for a self - propelled vehicle,
What year?

These drawings represented the first known conception of the automobile.

Hudson Dude Bob

The car stopped on a dime. :D :thumbup:

Which unfortunately was in a pedestrians pocket. :drunk: :pain: :spank:
I would be shocked if it wasn't Leonardo DaVinchi. I mean, how could you draw an aircraft and not do the car first? Wouldn't make sense. Ah without using google I would have to guess 1490 to 1505.. If it was him, I bet he thought of the Drive-in too... :p :p

#1,986 ·
We're All Good

Duntov said:
Hey OL,
Naw, We're all good. I answered from my viewing spot on page 131 and didn't realize you had already answered it on page 132, my bad. Duh :smash: Ping Pong got too fast for me, ha ha. :thumbup:

#1,987 ·
Be working on a good question OL

OLNOLAN said:
Naw, We're all good. I answered from my viewing spot on page 131 and didn't realize you had already answered it on page 132, my bad. Duh :smash: Ping Pong got too fast for me, ha ha. :thumbup:

cause I am still deferring the next one I win to you. I can't come up with a question that I can prove that can't be googled.. I figure you have one. :welcome:

#1,988 ·
trivia

Duntov said:
I would be shocked if it wasn't Leonardo DaVinchi. I mean, how could you draw an aircraft and not do the car first? Wouldn't make sense. Ah without using google I would have to guess 1490 to 1505.. If it was him, I bet he thought of the Drive-in too... :p :p
You got the who, now the when, you have slid past the year.

Bob

I may be a schizophrenic, :pain:

but at least I have each other. :D :rolleyes: :mwink:

#1,989 ·
You got till sundown OLNOLAN!

35terraplane said:
You got the who, now the when, you have slid past the year.

Bob

I may be a schizophrenic, :pain:

but at least I have each other. :D :rolleyes: :mwink:

OK..............1478ish....Had to Google it..

On your approval of my answer, and the procedural variation, I yield the floor to OLONAN.............However, I warrant that if he does not respond before sunset Eastern time this day, that I shall return with a stumper.

You got till sundown OLNOLAN :evil: Happy Hanukkah

#1,990 ·
trivia

Duntov said:
OK..............1478ish....Had to Google it..

On your approval of my answer, and the procedural variation, I yield the floor to OLONAN.............However, I warrant that if he does not respond before sunset Eastern time this day, that I shall return with a stumper.

You got till sundown OLNOLAN :evil: Happy Hanukkah
I guess OLNOLAN has the floor until sunset, which gives me all day to look up the answer. :D

Bob

Why do Americans choose from just two people to run for president :confused: :sweat:

and 50 for Miss America? :rolleyes: :eek: :thumbup:

#1,991 ·
Da Vinci

That dude DaVinci was way out there in his times, everybody thought he was nucking futs. Of course if he was still here today he'd be thought of as a genius.

If ya'll want me to go next, I've got another easy one.

What car was named after a TV show.

CAR? SHOW? ACTOR? WHO NAMED THE CAR? :thumbup:

#2,000 ·
OLNOLAN said:
OK Dan, Give em the details. Car?Show?Actor?Who named the car? :thumbup: Nolan
The judge was from Rowan and Martins Laugh-in, Flip Wilson would introduce the skit, "Here comes de Judge, Here comes de Judge. A few people played the Judge, Sammy Davis made it his own when it was his turn. GTO nabbed the Judge name for a few of their high perf. GTOS.

The roadrunner....Beepbeep. Everyone remembers the roadrunner, Wile E. Coyote and his never ending chase of the roadrunner. Plymouth made the name it's own, even going as far as a horn that would emulate the roadrunners beepbeep. Paying $50,000 to Warner Brothers to use the name and likeness of their Road Runner cartoon character (as well as a "beep, beep" horn, which Plymouth paid $10,000 to develop).

#2,001 ·
Ha Ha Ha Har Har Cough Spit

Well done Dan, the floor is yours. John Delorean named it from his love of the Laugh In skit. What if his favorite show was something else? GTO "Bonanza"? GTO "Beverly Hillbilly Edition"? HA HA. Here is one of the original skits. It actually originated from Pigmeat Markham and was used on the Laugh In show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hIcKkKID8k

Heres a record cut by Pigmeat. "Here Comes The Judge". Make sure to listen to the flip side, has a good joke called "The Trial". :thumbup: Nolan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvMBxlu62c0

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.