Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#2,002 ·
A young immigrant, in 1914, started a business with a new car that he was unable to sell on his lot. This business flourished under a few names until 1926 when it took on the name it has today. Who, what, where? This is a well known name in transportation. It is a little vague I know, but puzzle through, it ain't that tough either. I had an interesting experience I will share when the answer comes up.

#2,003 ·
Frontenac Motor Company>?

dinger said:
A young immigrant, in 1914, started a business with a new car that he was unable to sell on his lot. This business flourished under a few names until 1926 when it took on the name it has today. Who, what, where? This is a well known name in transportation. It is a little vague I know, but puzzle through, it ain't that tough either. I had an interesting experience I will share when the answer comes up.
Frontenac Motor Company, Louise Chevrolet, Bigger Smoother Faster, CHEVROLET? :)

#2,004 ·
History

Carl Wickman (Swedish) was having troubles selling Hupmobiles in Hibbing Minnesota, so, in 1914, he took his one remaining unsold (brand new ) 7 passenger car and started a bus company hauling the miners from Hibbing to Alice (another town) that was locally famous for its saloons.

In 1926, after a few name changes along the way, his company became known as GREYHOUND

#2,005 · (Edited)
Dave57210 said:
Carl Wickman (Swedish) was having troubles selling Hupmobiles in Hibbing Minnesota, so, in 1914, he took his one remaining unsold (brand new ) 7 passenger car and started a bus company hauling the miners from Hibbing to Alice (another town) that was locally famous for its saloons.

In 1926, after a few name changes along the way, his company became known as GREYHOUND
You've got it, Dave.
Here's my story, a true story indeed. :D When I was about 14 I worked in a bodyshop for a guy named Wally Cich. This was in Duluth, Mn. My buddys family had some property in Virginia, Mn. that we used to hunt on and generally shoot anything that moved. One weekend while we were there he asked me if I wanted to see an old homestead where there was a really old car rusting away, so off we went. all that remained of the old homestead was the chimney and a capped well. There was an old car, way too long in length to be stock, sitting in the brush with a poplar tree growing through it. I told Wally about it at work the following Monday, he got excited and off we went the next weekend to see it. One of his best friends as a young man used to build these cars in his shop, and this was one of them. He told him of the car, Carl was the guys name, IIRC, (can't remember his last name, it may come to me) and they went to see it. It was too far gone to save but Carl remembered the car as one he built (stretched was about all they would do), a Model T touring, IIRC. Carl used to tell of having a few dollars to invest before the depression, Greyhound or Coca Cola were the 2 he considered, he chose Greyhound because he was working for them. He lost his investment, on the other hand, had he invested in Coke he would have been set for life. Old times, fun memories.

#2,006 ·
dinger said:
You've got it, Dave.
Here's my story, a true story indeed. :D When I was about 14 I worked in a bodyshop for a guy named Wally Cich. This was in Duluth, Mn. My buddys family had some property in Virginia, Mn. that we used to hunt on and generally shoot anything that moved. One weekend while we were there he asked me if I wanted to see an old homestead where there was a really old car rusting away, so off we went. all that remained of the old homestead was the chimney and a capped well. There was an old car, way too long in length to be stock, sitting in the brush with a poplar tree growing through it. I told Wally about it at work the following Monday, he got excited and off we went the next weekend to see it. One of his best friends as a young man used to build these cars in his shop, and this was one of them. He told him of the car, Carl was the guys name, IIRC, (can't remember his last name, it may come to me) and they went to see it. It was too far gone to save but Carl remembered the car as one he built (stretched was about all they would do), a Model T touring, IIRC. Carl used to tell of having a few dollars to invest before the depression, Greyhound or Coca Cola were the 2 he considered, he chose Greyhound because he was working for them. He lost his investment, on the other hand, had he invested in Coke he would have been set for life. Old times, fun memories.
That's a great story Dan, :thumbup: And being true makes it that much better,IMHO

Cole

#2,007 ·
Efficient engine

A few questions ago, there was a question about naming the first car to get 1 hp per cu inch.

I am thinking about the first vehicle with an engine that is so efficient that it yields more than 1.5 hp per cu inch. It is known to be reliable as an axe, and there have been millions of them sold.

What vehicle is it, and when did it first appear?

#2,008 ·
Wankel

Hey Dave, You've got to be thinking of the Wankel engine that Mazda called the Rotary engine. They first put it in a Cosmo as early as 1965 prototypes then in Familia's in 1967. Later in the Mazda RX cars in the US. When you convert the cc displacement to cubic inches they well exceed 1.5 hp/ci. :thumbup: olnolan

#2,013 ·
Nolan, can the "CID" of a wankel even be truly measured? I sure don't know how you could. Even with some sort of fluid or something to measure the volume, where do you start of stop each "cylinder"?

Brian

#2,014 ·
Dave57210 said:
Actually the Geo Metro (Suzuki) is about 61 cu inches but its only 55 hp - a lot shy of the 1.5 hp per inch level we are looking for
when i worked at a chev dealer in the early 90s they had a geo metro sport
if i remember right it was a turbo 3cyl and that thing would pull so hard for such a small car it would pull toward the ditch in the bottom few gears

#2,016 ·
Ccd To Cid

MARTINSR said:
Nolan, can the "CID" of a wankel even be truly measured? I sure don't know how you could. Even with some sort of fluid or something to measure the volume, where do you start of stop each "cylinder"?

Brian
Seems to me that they can calculate the area displaced by the rotor. Read this cause I ain't no Wankel wizz. :thumbup: Nolan
http://wikicars.org/en/Pistonless_rotary_engine

#2,019 ·
Vtec

The its got to be one of the Honda VTEC engines, seems there is more than one that eclipses the 1.5hp/ci mark. 1600/97ci @158hp in CivicSi I think they called it. My daughter had a Prelude with the VTEC but hers was one of the lower hp models. Seems there are several different ones in different cc that also are near or surpassing the 1.5hp/ci point. :thumbup: olnolan

#2,023 ·
HONDA S-600 FACTS

The car was powered by a 600 cc (37 cu. in.) engine that produced 57 hp at 9,500 rpm. That's more than 1.5 hp per cubic inch in a production model car. It had four side-draft carburetors, and the crank, cam, and rods rode on roller bearings. The tachometer was redlined at 9,500 rpm.

#2,024 ·
I painted one of those S600s back around 1979. It was WILD, it had a rear differential that looked like a little miniature rear end you would find in any car, like a 55 Chevy or what ever. The difference was it was mounted about 18 inches in FRONT of the rear wheels. Now, how does that work you ask, it had SWING ARMS going back to the wheels!!!! It had friggin SWING ARMS with chains in them going back to the wheels!!!!

When you sat in drivers seat you could easily rest your hand on the passenger door, that is how small this car was.

It sounded just like a Honda 750 4 motorcycle when running.

Brian

#2,026 ·
Vehicle id?

I was not aware that Morris Garages (MG) had ever produced an engine that even apporached 1 hp per cu inch

The little Honda S-600 is a lot closer in terms of "when" (although not right on either!)

The vehicle I am thinking of appeared earlier than that!

(and were millions of MGs or Honda S-600's sold?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.