Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#2,327 ·
trivia

MARTINSR said:
I don't understand the question so I am at a disadvantage right out of the gate. :)

Brian
There were many American auto makers that offered this feature, Two of the auto makers were Gale and Model, These were the names of two of the auto's that had this feature.
The question, what was the feature? and why did they have it?

Bob

I don't care if you have other auto makers, they just have to have the feature, and you have to tell me why?

#2,331 ·
trivia

Joe G said:
A tilt body...to access the engine.

I don't know, that's a tough one.... :thumbup:
Joe they really weren't built to check the engine, but it was a bonus if you had a mid-engine car, they were built for working on the transmission, which needed a lot of maintenance. It was easier to lift the body than take out all the floor boards and seat, so the car was hinged in the back.

I thought the cars Gale and Model would get people going some where else.

Good answer Joe, you have the floor.

Bob

#2,333 ·
Thanks, Bob. The tilt body was the only unusual bit of information I could find about a Gale automobile. A car called a "Model" is completely ungoogleable. Great question, Bob. I never expected to get it right.

Here's the next question:

What year/make/model of American production car was the first available with a turbocharger?

#2,335 · (Edited)
trivia

Joe G said:
Thanks, Bob. The tilt body was the only unusual bit of information I could find about a Gale automobile. A car called a "Model" is completely ungoogleable. Great question, Bob. I never expected to get it right.

Here's the next question:

What year/make/model of American production car was the first available with a turbocharger?
1962 Olds Cutlass Jet fire, also the same year 1962 the Chevy., Corvair Monza Spyder

Bob

#2,337 ·
trivia

Joe G said:
You got it :thumbup: The '62 Oldsmobile F-85 was the first American factory turbocharged car. I'm not sure if you had to get the Cutlass trim to get the Jetfire engine, but it would stand to reason.

Nice job, Bob. Next question is on you... :thumbup:
Thanks Joe
This maybe a little harder, The question.

The Duryea brothers were have been said to make Americas first gasoline powered vehicle in 1893, but in fact two others made autos before this, ( there may have been other backyard builders we don't know)
Who were these two men and what did they build and where were they built, and what year?

Bob

#2,339 ·
trivia

35terraplane said:
Thanks Joe
This maybe a little harder, The question.

The Duryea brothers were have been said to make Americas first gasoline powered vehicle in 1893, but in fact two others made autos before this, ( there may have been other backyard builders we don't know)
Who were these two men and what did they build and where were they built, and what year?

Bob
Is this too hard? :pain: :evil:

Bob

#2,345 ·
trivia

Irelands child said:
Bob - both of those guys were playing with, and had built cars before Duryea - but not commercially
You are right, they didn't sell them commercially, but Duryea and Elwood Haynes were Bickering on who built the first gasoline powered car. Haynes talked one of these guys into not saying anything. The Duryea brothers did not sell their first car until 1896.
The two I'm looking for are known to have built gas powered cars first, at the time no one was making cars to sell, of the ones I have listed or am looking for. Because of the fight between Duryea and Haynes which did not happen until 1894 No one remembered the work of the other two as they were not publicists in any way, and their claims were completely lost in the angry bickering.

That is until I brought it up. LOL :rolleyes: :mwink:

Bob

#2,348 ·
ez

Thanks Bob, I'm still kicking. Only took about 5 minutes on Google, then another 30 to read a bit about them.

Ok, Same topic. Lambert & Nadig were two of the early(before1893)inventors. Who did Bob leave out of the group of documented pioneers. Who, what, when, where? Oh, this is an interesting story.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.