Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#2,755 · (Edited)
OLNOLAN said:
You're talking about the Sunbeam Tiger. Had a Ford 260 in it. Chrysler bought them out.
Bing Bing Bing, you are the winna!

I saw this little Tiger at a car show this past weekend. You can't tell very well because the front wheels are turned but they widened the front suspension and changed the steering box to rack (or the other way around I forget) on the car to fit the V8. This screwed up the acerman angle.

And yes Caroll Shelby helped in the design and logistics on this factory hot rod too!

If I would have been thinking I would have taken a photo of the Chrysler emblem on the right front fender. You can barely see it in my photo of the right side. It is right above the rocker at the bottom of the fender.

It's your floor OLNOLAN. :thumbup:

Brian

Attachments

#2,757 ·
One of my next hints was going to be a famous tv spy drove one. :)

Brian

This photo with Maxwell Smart driving it really shows the difference in the track width from front to rear.

#2,769 ·
#2,770 ·
ha ha ha

dinger said:
Here's where I got my answer: http://thunderbird.me/tbird-history/136-ford-thunderbird-history.html

Dodge gained a version of Plymouth's popular Valiant-based fastback Duster and was to be named the Beaver,[21] but when Chrysler's marketing department learned that 'beaver' was C.B. slang for vagina,[22] the vehicle was renamed the Dart Demon. http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...=37&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com
Sorry Dan, Who would have ever thought that there would be two manufacturers wanting to call a car a "Beaver"????

But you got it(the one I was thinking about), the Dodge Dart Demon. The floor is yours sir. :thumbup:

#2,771 ·
Ok, I can see when someone had this meeting and said they had to change the name, I get it. My question is, how in living H-E double toothpicks did they ever even have the idea to use that name? Not only it is slang, it's friggin stupid!

Brian

#2,773 ·
This family was instrumental to G.M.'s presence in Canada. The last member of the family involved with G.M. was this fellow, he died at the age of 101 and was still chairman of G.M. Canada at his passing. His name and the year he died?

#2,774 ·
OLNOLAN said:
Sorry Dan, Who would have ever thought that there would be two manufacturers wanting to call a car a "Beaver"????

But you got it(the one I was thinking about), the Dodge Dart Demon. The floor is yours sir. :thumbup:
Can you imagine the bird called the Beaver? That would be some advertising campaign..New in 1955, the Beaver Coupe, designed for comfort, fit and made for young and old to drive, drive, drive. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.