Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#3,029 ·
Irelands child said:
Haven't seen one of those for a while - they are used as a spark plug extender for cars that burn too much oil. No clue how or if they work, but a guy I used to work with had them in a 302 that had 250,000 miles and in a Lincoln
You got it first, Dave.

Not sure what the proper name for them is, but they were available from JC Whitney and some auto parts stores. They stop/slow oil fouling of spark plugs in engines that burn excessive oil by shrouding the plug and getting it out of the path of oil vapor in the combustion chamber.

Dave, the floor is yours... :thumbup:

#3,036 ·
Right on Dave, heck yes, lets get the next question! And make it a hard one Vexzer! A photo usually works good because it makes it harder for someone to quickly Google it. But anything is good, just ask a question and we'll fire this thread up again. :)

Brian

#3,044 ·
Trivia

Irelands child said:
Bob - I'll give him another couple of hours - my brain is in the wrong time right now
Dave W You must have been sitting there drinking coffee with that post on the screen, just waiting to send it, I got it so fast.

Even my wife asked me what I was doing up, then she says oh your Brain think it's an hour later. Learn something everyday, now she thinks I have a Brain. :sweat: :rolleyes: :mwink: :D

Bob

#3,045 ·
Trivia

MARTINSR said:
Yeah, not everyone is a Hotrodders nut job like us checking the forum a number of times throughout the day. :rolleyes:

Brian
Brian Around here it is deer season, started yesterday, where I live ( in the middle of the woods) it is legal to shoot here, yep right in amongst the houses, so you don't really go out too much. :nono: :nono: My dogs go out with coats we made up out of orange cloth, they run out, do their duty and run in. :thumbup:

So looking at this screen is the best place to be, heck I have to wear orange to walk to my shop, or get the mail. I quit hunting a few years ago, I shot my share, you can shoot up to 5 deer. I get one from a kid that helps me.

Bob

#3,046 ·
35terraplane said:
Brian Around here it is deer season, started yesterday, where I live ( in the middle of the woods) it is legal to shoot here, yep right in amongst the houses, so you don't really go out too much. :nono: :nono: My dogs go out with coats we made up out of orange cloth, they run out, do their duty and run in. :thumbup:

So looking at this screen is the best place to be, heck I have to wear orange to walk to my shop, or get the mail. I quit hunting a few years ago, I shot my share, you can shoot up to 5 deer. I get one from a kid that helps me.

Bob
That is wild!

I know that I was on a little walk last Jan 1st on the "Shoreline trail" at a park along the SF bay.

I saw a log looking boat out in the water and thought what in the hell is that guy doing? All of a sudden I heard a gun shot and couldn't believe that someone was hunting in the SF bay! When I got to the end of the trail at the Alameda creek trail there was a sign warning it was duck hunting season. If someone at a party would have told me there was legal duck hunting from the water at a regional park in the liberal SF bay area I would have told them they were out of their minds. But there it was, it blew me away that you could do this.
Do any accidents ever happen in your neck of the woods regarding this? Bullets thru houses, people, pets?

Brian

#3,047 ·
35terraplane said:
Dave W You must have been sitting there drinking coffee with that post on the screen, just waiting to send it, I got it so fast.

Even my wife asked me what I was doing up, then she says oh your Brain think it's an hour later. Learn something everyday, now she thinks I have a Brain. :sweat: :rolleyes: :mwink: :D

Bob
Yep - on my 3rd cup - woke up at 0 Dark Thirty rarin' to go. I'' done a bunch of odds and ends waiting for the temp to get into the 30's outside

Brian - it's called 'terminal illness'. I don't always post, but look whenever I go by the puter which is on the way out the door - and speaking of that, the pup is dinging her - "I gotta go. NOW!!" bell.

Dave W

#3,048 ·
Trivia

MARTINSR said:
That is wild!

I know that I was on a little walk last Jan 1st on the "Shoreline trail" at a park along the SF bay.

I saw a log looking boat out in the water and thought what in the hell is that guy doing? All of a sudden I heard a gun shot and couldn't believe that someone was hunting in the SF bay! When I got to the end of the trail at the Alameda creek trail there was a sign warning it was duck hunting season. If someone at a party would have told me there was legal duck hunting from the water at a regional park in the liberal SF bay area I would have told them they were out of their minds. But there it was, it blew me away that you could do this.
Do any accidents ever happen in your neck of the woods regarding this? Bullets thru houses, people, pets?

Brian
Maybe a house will take one, sometimes you hear about a cow or horse getting shot, dogs they never say, as it is legal to shoot dogs that are running around in the woods, as they bump deer (**** hunters term for chase). People hunting get shot every year, or die deer hunting, a guy a couple years ago, went to prison for shooting and killing his own son. I don't think the guy did it on purpose, but they said it could have been avoided.

A 84 year old man died yesterday, he was in his deer stand lighting the heater, some how caught on fire and fell out of his deer stand. Every year people shoot someone, walking through the bush.

The reason I quit there were to many people getting shot out of trees, I'm 67 years old, and I have never once seen a deer in a tree, not unless I had been drinking. :smash: :mwink: But when people need to get a deer that bad, I stay home. I could go with friends that have their own land, but like I said I have shot enough deer in my life, I just feed them in the winter. They do need a hunting season, many car hits, they come into the city to look for food. In the Twin Cities, there are 1000's of deer. They have bow and arrow hunts right in the city parks. That's why there is a limit of 5 deer in many places.

As you may or may not know,Northern MN has very few people, and the towns are small, that is one way they make their money. People getting shot, well that's part of the deal. The odds are pretty low. Maybe 4 or 5 die, the same just get shot, young and old. We have around one million deer hunters every year. 5 million people in the state, so about 1/5th are hunting.

Bob

#3,049 ·
35terraplane said:
Maybe a house will take one, sometimes you hear about a cow or horse getting shot, dogs they never say, as it is legal to shoot dogs that are running around in the woods, as they bump deer (**** hunters term for chase). People hunting get shot every year, or die deer hunting, a guy a couple years ago, went to prison for shooting and killing his own son. I don't think the guy did it on purpose, but they said it could have been avoided.

A 84 year old man died yesterday, he was in his deer stand lighting the heater, some how caught on fire and fell out of his deer stand. Every year people shoot someone, walking through the bush.

The reason I quit there were to many people getting shot out of trees, I'm 67 years old, and I have never once seen a deer in a tree, not unless I had been drinking. :smash: :mwink: But when people need to get a deer that bad, I stay home. I could go with friends that have their own land, but like I said I have shot enough deer in my life, I just feed them in the winter. They do need a hunting season, many car hits, they come into the city to look for food. In the Twin Cities, there are 1000's of deer. They have bow and arrow hunts right in the city parks. That's why there is a limit of 5 deer in many places.

As you may or may not know,Northern MN has very few people, and the towns are small, that is one way they make their money. People getting shot, well that's part of the deal. The odds are pretty low. Maybe 4 or 5 die, the same just get shot, young and old. We have around one million deer hunters every year. 5 million people in the state, so about 1/5th are hunting.

Bob
Thanks for the education, interesting. Yep, quite different than here alright.

Brian

#3,050 ·
Trivia

MARTINSR said:
Thanks for the education, interesting. Yep, quite different than here alright.

Brian
Yep!! But you have to start dodging bullets when the gangs get going.

The pictures are looking out unto my back patio, the deer are 10 from the window. Last year I had a small 6 point buck come up and put his nose on the window, whenever the feeder was empty. If you look at the woods behind my yard, that is what the whole area looks like, I have 3 acres. So a bullet in theory would not go very far as it would hit a tree. :rolleyes: :mwink:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.