Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#3,077 ·
35terraplane said:
The sic part about this is, I could probably walk over to my shop open my tool box to the drawer with the tools that are not used anymore or the ones I don't know what the hell they are used for, and pull one of those out, still wouldn't know what it was. Yes I do have such a drawer, not only that I buy tools I have no idea what they are or what they are used for, some very old. I used to ask the old timers what they were but now I are one.

I have some kind of hook out there that I have had for at least 10 years, no one knows what it is.

Bob
You? An old timer? Please! You're only ## years old! :D

By the way, that is pretty cool to have a collection of tools from back in the day. I wouldn't mind having some around the garage, even if they just serve as conversation pieces.

I was thinking earlier that there ought to be a wiki on the tool Dave has posted, just so there is an actual reference out there for it. I have tried every which way to Google something and nothing has come up.

I'm sure many members here have a collection of unidentified tools. Perhaps one of you can start a thread on them where you can post pictures and hopefully someone who knows about them can chime in. i think it would be quite valuable information. Just a thought... :)

#3,078 · (Edited)
Trivia

lt1silverhawk said:
You? An old timer? Please! You're only ## years old! :D

By the way, that is pretty cool to have a collection of tools from back in the day. I wouldn't mind having some around the garage, even if they just serve as conversation pieces.

I was thinking earlier that there ought to be a wiki on the tool Dave has posted, just so there is an actual reference out there for it. I have tried every which way to Google something and nothing has come up.

I'm sure many members here have a collection of unidentified tools. Perhaps one of you can start a thread on them where you can post pictures and hopefully someone who knows about them can chime in. i think it would be quite valuable information. Just a thought... :)
I'm trying to drag this out until my brother calls and tells me what it is. What Dave W posted.

A lot of the tools I have are wood working tools I think. That hook like thing I have is about 10# and I thought it had something to do with logging but even those old guys don't know.

Bob

#3,081 ·
OK - today is THE day :D .

Cobalt in his 3071 post was about the closest and I will turn it over to him for the next trivia.

BUT, to the rest, good ideas of what those gadgets are :thumbup: but wrong!!

Now, (drum roll and fanfare)

These are/were used with point style distributors to put a radius on the contact set rubbing block so the points wouldn't lose their gap adjustment/dwell angle after a couple thousand miles. And they worked. You did need to pull distributors out to do the job, but I usually did. It always looked impressive to a customer that you could pull the electrical 'heart' out of the family passenger car, perform minor surgery then pop it back in and start it right up(dam I miss those simpler days)

If I can find them, I do have a couple more "gadget tools" for a later time.

Dave W

#3,082 ·
Irelands child said:
These are/were used with point style distributors to put a radius on the contact set rubbing block so the points wouldn't lose their gap adjustment/dwell angle after a couple thousand miles. And they worked. You did need to pull distributors out to do the job, but I usually did. It always looked impressive to a customer that you could pull the electrical 'heart' out of the family passenger car, perform minor surgery then pop it back in and start it right up(dam I miss those simpler days)

Dave W
I cannot believe there is no info out there on this. Learned something though. Looking forward to the other "gadget tools". :thumbup: Btw, is there an official name for these tools?

#3,089 ·
Good Tool Trivia

Irelands child said:
OK - today is THE day :D .

Cobalt in his 3071 post was about the closest and I will turn it over to him for the next trivia.

BUT, to the rest, good ideas of what those gadgets are :thumbup: but wrong!!

Now, (drum roll and fanfare)

Dave W
Dave, That was a good one. It was driving me nuts. The answer stupefied me. I sold auto parts and tools when I was young(back in the point/condensor days) and just don't remember that tool. I will however borrow your trivia question to use on mechanic friends and my older brother who sold auto parts, to see if they remember it. Good one Man! :thumbup:

#3,091 ·
Without a google search I am going to toss something out. No name so I don't win anyway. But I remember one that literally looked like an airplane fuselage with a little windshield. I can't remember much more but remember seeing that car.

Brian

#3,092 ·
I have been Googling my butt off and can't find anything. I have found a lot of others that were later and ones that still build cars up until recently like SAAB. But nothing from the 40's, any hints? :sweat:

Brian

#3,094 ·
boatbob2 said:
Hi,it was a german MESSERSCHMIDT car... Heres one for you,how many 40 fords came with a floor shift???
Hold on there hotrod, the Messerschidt was made from the mid Fifties the early sixties, not in the 40's as the question was asked.

Brian

#3,099 ·
35terraplane said:
This might be a lame one but I will ask it anyway.

Back in the 40's what aircraft company tried their hand at making cars?
How many did they make? And what were they called?
Not lame at all. :thumbup:

Is this the one you were thinking of?

The Beechcraft Plainsman was a prototype car made in 1946 by the Beech Aircraft Company. The Plainsman was to be fitted with an aircraft engine driving a generator, which in turn would power four electric motors, one for each wheel. It also had an aluminum body. It weighed 2,200 pounds (1,000 kg) and could carry six passengers. Only two were built.

#3,100 ·
Trivia

Joe G said:
Not lame at all. :thumbup:

Is this the one you were thinking of?

The Beechcraft Plainsman was a prototype car made in 1946 by the Beech Aircraft Company. The Plainsman was to be fitted with an aircraft engine driving a generator, which in turn would power four electric motors, one for each wheel. It also had an aluminum body. It weighed 2,200 pounds (1,000 kg) and could carry six passengers. Only two were built.
Joe You you get the prize. Just send your name and address to our prize dept, and you should have your prize in 8 to 10 working days. :rolleyes: :mwink: :thumbup:

Joe I got that out of the Linchaser, it said 1942, I looked it up and found 1946, That's why I put lame. You have the floor.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.