Trivia thread - Page 124 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2010, 01:53 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

ENOUGH !!!!!!

I GIVE UP

1921/2 Duesenberg

http://www.motorera.com/history/hist07.htm

http://www.greatachievements.org/?id=3880

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Ummmm, Duesenburg wasn't a "GM" car.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2010, 03:47 PM

Last photo:

trivia

1937 series 50 LaSalle

35terraplane
I did find a article that said a 1931 caddy 16Cly. had hyd brakes I found where they said on the post about a 1925 LaSalle had hyd brakes but when I read the article I could not find that they said the car had Hyd brakes on it.

35terraplane

If you don't live on the edge you're taking up to much ground
Old 11-07-2010, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
So I will guess again 1934 olds.
You Got It.

Oldsmobile was the first GM division to adopt hydraulic brakes in 1934. Although after more research, it looks like LaSalle might have had them in '34 as well.

The next question is yours Bob.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:52 PM

Last photo:

trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe G
You Got It.

Oldsmobile was the first GM division to adopt hydraulic brakes in 1934. Although after more research, it looks like LaSalle might have had them in '34 as well.

The next question is yours Bob.
Brian you were only one year off.LOL That was a hard one,one place gave a list of cars that had them by 1930 I think it was, GM was not listed So I quit looking because Olds was the only car not listed, I had LaSalle in mind but I always thought that was a cheap Cad.OH well here goes.

Where, What year, were Disc brakes invented, and on what kind of car?

Bob

If you aren't living on the edge you're taking up too much ground.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:51 AM
36 Dream

Last journal entry: The fire...
Last photo:

Wiki says....

"Disc-style brakes development and use began in England in the 1890s. The first caliper-type automobile disc brake was patented by Frederick William Lanchester in his Birmingham, UK factory in 1902 and used successfully on Lanchester cars. However, the limited choice of metals in this period, meant that he had to use copper as the braking medium acting on the disc. The poor state of the roads at this time, no more than dusty, rough tracks, meant that the copper wore quickly making the disc brake system non-viable (as recorded in The Lanchester Legacy). It took another half century for his innovation to be widely adopted.

Modern-style disc brakes first appeared on the low-volume Crosley Hotshot in 1949, although they had to be discontinued in 1950 due to design problems.[1] Chrysler's Imperial also offered a type of disc brake from 1949 through 1953, though in this instance they were enclosed with dual internal-expanding, full-circle pressure plates. Reliable modern disc brakes were developed in the UK by Dunlop and first appeared in 1953 on the Jaguar C-Type racing car. The CitroŽn DS of 1955, with powered inboard front disc brakes, and the 1956 Triumph TR3 were the first European production cars to feature modern disc brakes.[2] The first production car to feature disc brakes at all 4 corners was the Austin-Healey 100S in 1954.[3] The first British company to market a production saloon fitted with disc brakes to all four wheels was Jensen Motors Ltd with the introduction of a Deluxe version of the Jensen 541 with Dunlop disc brakes.[4] The next American production cars to be fitted with disc brakes were the 1963 Studebaker Avanti[5] (optional on other Studebaker models), ...."
Old 11-08-2010, 08:40 AM

Last photo:

trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeford
"Disc-style brakes development and use began in England in the 1890s. The first caliper-type automobile disc brake was patented by Frederick William Lanchester in his Birmingham, UK factory in 1902 and used successfully on Lanchester cars. However, the limited choice of metals in this period, meant that he had to use copper as the braking medium acting on the disc. The poor state of the roads at this time, no more than dusty, rough tracks, meant that the copper wore quickly making the disc brake system non-viable (as recorded in The Lanchester Legacy). It took another half century for his innovation to be widely adopted.

Modern-style disc brakes first appeared on the low-volume Crosley Hotshot in 1949, although they had to be discontinued in 1950 due to design problems.[1] Chrysler's Imperial also offered a type of disc brake from 1949 through 1953, though in this instance they were enclosed with dual internal-expanding, full-circle pressure plates. Reliable modern disc brakes were developed in the UK by Dunlop and first appeared in 1953 on the Jaguar C-Type racing car. The Citro�n DS of 1955, with powered inboard front disc brakes, and the 1956 Triumph TR3 were the first European production cars to feature modern disc brakes.[2] The first production car to feature disc brakes at all 4 corners was the Austin-Healey 100S in 1954.[3] The first British company to market a production saloon fitted with disc brakes to all four wheels was Jensen Motors Ltd with the introduction of a Deluxe version of the Jensen 541 with Dunlop disc brakes.[4] The next American production cars to be fitted with disc brakes were the 1963 Studebaker Avanti[5] (optional on other Studebaker models), ...."
Sorry Joe that is not the answer I was looking for.

Bob

If your not living edge you're taking up too much ground.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:08 AM
66 mustang

the word posh

do yall amerrycans use the word posh to say someone has money.Without googling do you know what it means.Its actually p.o.s.h

when you work it out its all clear???

later gator
russ

btw, im not posh, im just a below average guy with above average family and friends

am i allowed to ask this here? or need moving???
Old 11-10-2010, 10:52 AM

Last photo:

trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinny
do yall amerrycans use the word posh to say someone has money.Without googling do you know what it means.Its actually p.o.s.h

when you work it out its all clear???

later gator
russ

btw, im not posh, im just a below average guy with above average family and friends

am i allowed to ask this here? or need moving???
This is a trivia thread about cars, I have the floor, and that is the wrong answer.

35terraplane

If you are not living on the edge, you 're taking up to much ground.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Posh

And, since that is not a valid question, my answer won't result in me having to think up a question - and I am all outta questions

WAY back when, the upper class of the world, when sailing to the middle east, would always want to be on the shady (cooler) side of the ship - which meant being on the Port side when heading east through the Mediterranean and on the Starboard side when heading back west. So the letters for Port Out, Starboard Home (P.O.S.H.) appeared on the luggage. Only the wealthy could affrod this special treatment, so they became known as the POSH set.

And no, I will not ask the next question as we are still awaiting the correct answer on 35Terraplane's disc brakes one.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:31 PM

Last photo:

trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210
And, since that is not a valid question, my answer won't result in me having to think up a question - and I am all outta questions

WAY back when, the upper class of the world, when sailing to the middle east, would always want to be on the shady (cooler) side of the ship - which meant being on the Port side when heading east through the Mediterranean and on the Starboard side when heading back west. So the letters for Port Out, Starboard Home (P.O.S.H.) appeared on the luggage. Only the wealthy could affrod this special treatment, so they became known as the POSH set.

And no, I will not ask the next question as we are still awaiting the correct answer on 35Terraplane's disc brakes one.
Thanks Dave, Well I would have been on the otherside, Could you say those away from the sun were on the dark side.

Bob

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much ground.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:04 PM
66 mustang

just another distraction we all come across in our daily grind, got an answer and maybe some questions???

correct answer as well, ok, back to cars guys!!

sorry for the interlude

later gator
russ

back to 35 terraplane?????
Old 11-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
You need to read thru the rules and regulations of the Triva game here on Hotrodders.
(clickhere)

Section 21.7884 paragraph #45 clearly states that only automobile related questions are allowed. And section 14.7851 paragraph 21 states that after someone has answered a question and the question poster has agreed to the answer the person who answered the question is then given the floor to ask his question.

Brian
Old 11-10-2010, 03:28 PM

Last photo:

trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
You need to read thru the rules and regulations of the Triva game here on Hotrodders.
(clickhere)

Section 21.7884 paragraph #45 clearly states that only automobile related questions are allowed. And section 14.7851 paragraph 21 states that after someone has answered a question and the question poster has agreed to the answer the person who answered the question is then given the floor to ask his question.

Brian
And if we all had to read them, you must too!

Bob

If you're not living on the, edge you're taking up to much ground.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
Where, What year, were Disc brakes invented, and on what kind of car
So we're still on Bob's brake question, right?

I'm confused

Tags
humor, trivia

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« Funeral Coaches | - »