Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#3,254 ·
boothboy said:
Well you got my hoist right but it's that funny looking hammer thing on top that's the question.
What the heck is it?????
Bung wrench..327/350 got it right. The end with 4 protruberances is for removing the 2" bung in a 30 or 55 gallon drum, the other hexagon end is a socket for taking out the 3/4" plug. If it's a good one, it's bronze, so it won't have any chance of making sparks when you start bumping it around on a flammable liquids filled drum.

http://www.hazmatpac.com/product-details/items/7.html

Here's something cool. Not too many people have ever seen one, but I guarantee you have one of it's ancestors in your toolbox.

Later, mikey

Attachments

#3,256 ·
Very interesting tool. I guess you would have to call it a "locking" wrench as apposed to a pair of "locking" pliers. It has some of the qualities simular to a pair of vice grips (patented by William Petersen in De Witt, Nebraska in 1924). It has a pair of pliers like gripping jaws that are adjusted by a lead screw. To be classified as a set of pliers a tool has to have two handles. A wrench has only one. Whats neat about this tool is that it can be adjusted with a wrench, a socket, or a tee handle bar. The question is who made if and when? Did this develop from Petersen's Vise Grips or the other way around?
Great tool! I've never seen one like it!

#3,257 ·
powerrodsmike said:
Bung wrench..327/350 got it right. The end with 4 protruberances is for removing the 2" bung in a 30 or 55 gallon drum, the other hexagon end is a socket for taking out the 3/4" plug. If it's a good one, it's bronze, so it won't have any chance of making sparks when you start bumping it around on a flammable liquids filled drum.

http://www.hazmatpac.com/product-details/items/7.html

Here's something cool. Not too many people have ever seen one, but I guarantee you have one of it's ancestors in your toolbox.

Later, mikey
Mikey, what the heck are you now a sniper? You come in there take a shot and leave? How's life for goodness sakes, stop a second and fill us in. :thumbup:

Brian

#3,258 ·
boothboy said:
Very interesting tool. I guess you would have to call it a "locking" wrench as apposed to a pair of "locking" pliers. It has some of the qualities simular to a pair of vice grips (patented by William Petersen in De Witt, Nebraska in 1924). It has a pair of pliers like gripping jaws that are adjusted by a lead screw. To be classified as a set of pliers a tool has to have two handles. A wrench has only one. Whats neat about this tool is that it can be adjusted with a wrench, a socket, or a tee handle bar. The question is who made if and when? Did this develop from Petersen's Vise Grips or the other way around?
Great tool! I've never seen one like it!
The other way around..That tool is the very first patented tool made and sold by Petersen, patented in 1921..Look here He sold them out of the trunk of his car, to farmers and shops. In 1924 he added the over center locking handle, then in 1957 the locking handle release was added, which became the tool we all know and love today...Sorry the picture is crappy, but it does say VISE GRIP "PAT"D on the handle.. The side has S.P.W.Co, Dewitt, Nebr stamped in it..I bought it for 5 dollars from a guy who has a used tool truck that comes by the shop...

haha, Yes Brian, these days, I am a hit and run guy..Periods of introversion mark my life story, if I was an artist I'd be considered mysterious and aloof, but as that's not the case, I'm just antisocial..haha Been working at a pretty diverse shop in Morgan Hill, doing some neat things..Wiring, hardware installs, suspension work, fab work..the kind of work I trick people into thinking I'm good at..And I'm learning stuff from those guys too..So far I've done 4 LSX motor swaps, 2 actually run..haha 1 LS3/T56 from a GTO into a 68 Camaro, an LS2/4L60 in a 63 Corvette roadster,(customer dropped out for a while with a stroke, so we backed off), a 5.3L truck motor/4L60 in a 78 Cadillac "San Remo" Convertible, (another trivia piece, I keep expecting to see John Travolta come in wearing his "Saturday Night Fever" duds to check on his disco car) and a EROD/4L60 in a 78 Jaguar XJ6..Both of the newer cars are to be smog legal..

Later, Mikey

Attachments

#3,259 ·
powerrodsmike said:
The other way around..That tool is the very first patented tool made and sold by Petersen, patented in 1921..Look here He sold them out of the trunk of his car, to farmers and shops. In 1924 he added the over center locking handle, then in 1957 the locking handle release was added, which became the tool we all know and love today...Sorry the picture is crappy, but it does say VISE GRIP "PAT"D on the handle.. The side has S.P.W.Co, Dewitt, Nebr stamped in it..I bought it for 5 dollars from a guy who has a used tool truck that comes by the shop...

haha, Yes Brian, these days, I am a hit and run guy..Periods of introversion mark my life story, if I was an artist I'd be considered mysterious and aloof, but as that's not the case, I'm just antisocial..haha Been working at a pretty diverse shop in Morgan Hill, doing some neat things..Wiring, hardware installs, suspension work, fab work..the kind of work I trick people into thinking I'm good at..And I'm learning stuff from those guys too..So far I've done 4 LSX motor swaps, 2 actually run..haha 1 LS3/T56 from a GTO into a 68 Camaro, an LS2/4L60 in a 63 Corvette roadster,(customer dropped out for a while with a stroke, so we backed off), a 5.3L truck motor/4L60 in a 78 Cadillac "San Remo" Convertible, (another trivia piece, I keep expecting to see John Travolta come in wearing his "Saturday Night Fever" duds to check on his disco car) and a EROD/4L60 in a 78 Jaguar XJ6..Both of the newer cars are to be smog legal..

Later, Mikey

Well that makes sense. I poked around and found these pics. Any idea what th stampimg PV was for?

Attachments

#3,260 ·
MIKEY so glad to hear from you! Sounds like they are using your skills at that shop, holy cow that is some complex swaps you are doing there.

On Vice Grips, to to highjack this thread but it tears my heart seeing those tools made in America where they BELONG. I REFUSE to buy a Chinese made one, I REFUSE and I need a couple others, I am searching ebay and swap meets for a REAL pair.

Brian

#3,261 ·
boothboy said:
Well that makes sense. I poked around and found these pics. Any idea what th stampimg PV was for?
It wondered that myself, it's stamped in both sides of the tool, and the hex of the clamping screw as well..The stamped letters are filled with the same paint as the rest of the tool, which appears to be the original paint, so I'm thinking that it may be the initials of a business name, and was stamped at the factory. When I did my poking around, I thought I read somewhere that when Peterson took an order from someplace like a tractor shop, or repair shop,and they ordered a lot of them , they could have their name stamped in at the factory..I could be wrong..

I look around at the swap meets and garage sales for USA made Vise Grips, the Chinese ones are poop...

Later, mikey

#3,268 ·
boothboy said:
Well if no one else has it how about a 1963 Buick Riviera. There maybe others that year. GM did share some secrets between divisions. I had one.

You bugger, ok, you got it. How about a bonus question :D what was very interesting feature on that cars body panels that no other American car that I know of ever did until about 40 years later?

Brian

#3,271 ·
MARTINSR said:
You bugger, ok, you got it. How about a bonus question :D what was very interesting feature on that cars body panels that no other American car that I know of ever did until about 40 years later?

Brian
That's something I learned the hard way. :boxing:

The inner workings of the doors are accessed from the outside of the car by unbolting the door skins.

As far as I know, after the Riviera, the next American car with bolt-on door skins was the Saturn.

Great question..... :thumbup:

#3,272 ·
Now I'm in trouble, you answered the bonus question properly (exactly on the money) and Boothboy answered the first question so I think it's Boothboys floor but you to can fight over it and I will watch. :)

Brian

#3,276 ·
I remember them now but I can't remember ever having to pull one apart. Inner door release handles both front and rear on the doors , great for getting out of the back seat so I could go to the snack bar at the Sepulveda Drive-in after messing with my girl! The height of sophistication, Cold Duck in a thermos and a hot dog from the snack bar! My brother ended up with the car and I got drafted!
Come on Joe Ask a question.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.