Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#3,277 ·
That car was a Mercedes CL63 of the day I'll tell you that, it was so friggin overbuilt it was crazy. It was the first car that I had ever seen with heating ducts spot welded to the floor bringing air from the heater/AC to the rear passengers.

And do you know the stylist/designers name and what other cars he did? :mwink:

Brian

#3,280 ·
MARTINSR said:
That car was a Mercedes CL63 of the day I'll tell you that, it was so friggin overbuilt it was crazy. It was the first car that I had ever seen with heating ducts spot welded to the floor bringing air from the heater/AC to the rear passengers.

And do you know the stylist/designers name and what other cars he did? :mwink:

Brian

Bill Mitchell was the head designer on that project as well as project leader on the 63 Corvette Stingray and the 70 Camaro. All milestone cars. He was a protege' of Harley Earl.

#3,287 ·
I am blank! I am also working in Indio, Ca., 62 hours the last 5 days, 104 heat, inspecting corn under a metal roof. . My question would be: Whose brains are fried today? First guy that comes up with an answer gets the next question. :pain:

#3,289 ·
35terraplane said:
Is it sweet corn, or Field corn. :sweat: :sweat:

Bob
Sweet corn, white, yellow, bi-color. 25,000 boxes a day. We are off today, the cold storage is PACKED! The trucks are coming in to haul it off, Memorial Day is right around the corner. Prime Time is the major handler, they also have bell peppers, eggplant, yellow peppers. I've been eating a lot of bell peppers and corn lately. The corn is OK, I've had better, but at this time of year it is pretty darn good. I am resting today, I'm pretty beat. 45-55 lb. cartons 13-15 hours a day is young man's work. :pain:

#3,291 ·
These are some of the first aftermarket wheels, name them. :)

My old boss has a set on his 33 Ford Phaeton. And don't cheat by chasing the URl I didn't copy it to my computer first so you couldn't. It's the honor system.

Brian

#3,293 ·
I don't want to kill the thread again. :sweat:

They are "General Jumbo" wheels and this is a restored Ford with these period piece (1934) wheels on it.

Anyone have a question?

Brian

#3,294 ·
Trivia

MARTINSR said:
I don't want to kill the thread again. :sweat:

They are "General Jumbo" wheels and this is a restored Ford with these period piece (1934) wheels on it.

Anyone have a question?

Brian

Brian they had what they called Jumbo 14's on model "A"s I have had two sets of them over the years. And yes they were 14" wheel's The tires had the Jumbo 14 on them.

Bob

#3,295 ·
It was an ingenious marketing plan. Make wheels that only special tires fit on. General Tire sold a lot of tires that no one else could sell them I imagine.

So what's your trivia question? :confused: :thumbup:

Brian

#3,298 ·
Bob I missed it completely so it's yours. Just a side note though, after doing a little research today it turns out that the 'General jumbo was also called a Clev Weld wheel. the Cleveland Welding Company actually manufactured the wheel but the item they made there big money on was bicycles!. they manufactured the RoadMaster Bicycle. I remember seeing advertisements for that bike. CLC was eventually bought out by AMF.

#3,300 ·
Well Cadillac of Detroit MI. started using V8 engines in 1915 and has continued using them ever since. The first vehicle was a Model 51 Cadillac. However Cadillac didn't build the car. They supplied the engine and chassis and C.P. Kimball & Co. of Chicago actually built the automobile.
If in fact this is the right answer, Cadillac did not offer a v8 in every mogel, remember the Cimarron? Cadillac wishes they didn't!

#3,301 ·
Trivia

boothboy said:
Well Cadillac of Detroit MI. started using V8 engines in 1915 and has continued using them ever since. The first vehicle was a Model 51 Cadillac. However Cadillac didn't build the car. They supplied the engine and chassis and C.P. Kimball & Co. of Chicago actually built the automobile.
If in fact this is the right answer, Cadillac did not offer a v8 in every mogel, remember the Cimarron? Cadillac wishes they didn't!
Sorry guys, I had to go get my foot up yesterday, and today I had to go to the Doctor. Seems the doc has taking my right little toe off on his bucket list, so we do that next week.

Now to the answer No it is not a Cadillac. This company made very few cars every year, seldom did they make over 400. The price of them was between $5000.00 and $7000. Making it one of the highest price cars in the country.

This was a large side-valve unit of 7.2 litres and 90 bhp.

This is about all the clues I can give, without giving it away.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.