Trivia thread - Page 134 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Pontiac--The Judge

Roadrunner?

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Car name

The AVENGERS? (British TV show) Honor Blackman and Patrick McNee, 1960's
Dodge Avenger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 06:37 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I Remember That Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210
The AVENGERS? (British TV show) Honor Blackman and Patrick McNee, 1960's
Dodge Avenger
Not the correct answer but was a cool show, the chick was sweet(Diana Riggs?) I forget. olnolan
Old 12-10-2010, 06:41 AM

Last photo:

Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
Pontiac--The Judge

Roadrunner?
OK Dan, Give em the details. Car?Show?Actor?Who named the car? Nolan
Old 12-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLNOLAN
OK Dan, Give em the details. Car?Show?Actor?Who named the car? Nolan
The judge was from Rowan and Martins Laugh-in, Flip Wilson would introduce the skit, "Here comes de Judge, Here comes de Judge. A few people played the Judge, Sammy Davis made it his own when it was his turn. GTO nabbed the Judge name for a few of their high perf. GTOS.

The roadrunner....Beepbeep. Everyone remembers the roadrunner, Wile E. Coyote and his never ending chase of the roadrunner. Plymouth made the name it's own, even going as far as a horn that would emulate the roadrunners beepbeep. Paying $50,000 to Warner Brothers to use the name and likeness of their Road Runner cartoon character (as well as a "beep, beep" horn, which Plymouth paid $10,000 to develop).
Old 12-10-2010, 01:03 PM

Last photo:

Ha Ha Ha Har Har Cough Spit

Well done Dan, the floor is yours. John Delorean named it from his love of the Laugh In skit. What if his favorite show was something else? GTO "Bonanza"? GTO "Beverly Hillbilly Edition"? HA HA. Here is one of the original skits. It actually originated from Pigmeat Markham and was used on the Laugh In show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hIcKkKID8k

Heres a record cut by Pigmeat. "Here Comes The Judge". Make sure to listen to the flip side, has a good joke called "The Trial". Nolan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvMBxlu62c0
Old 12-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

A young immigrant, in 1914, started a business with a new car that he was unable to sell on his lot. This business flourished under a few names until 1926 when it took on the name it has today. Who, what, where? This is a well known name in transportation. It is a little vague I know, but puzzle through, it ain't that tough either. I had an interesting experience I will share when the answer comes up.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Visit the NASCAR Hall of Fame

Frontenac Motor Company>?

Quote:
A young immigrant, in 1914, started a business with a new car that he was unable to sell on his lot. This business flourished under a few names until 1926 when it took on the name it has today. Who, what, where? This is a well known name in transportation. It is a little vague I know, but puzzle through, it ain't that tough either. I had an interesting experience I will share when the answer comes up.
Frontenac Motor Company, Louise Chevrolet, Bigger Smoother Faster, CHEVROLET?
Old 12-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:

History

Carl Wickman (Swedish) was having troubles selling Hupmobiles in Hibbing Minnesota, so, in 1914, he took his one remaining unsold (brand new ) 7 passenger car and started a bus company hauling the miners from Hibbing to Alice (another town) that was locally famous for its saloons.

In 1926, after a few name changes along the way, his company became known as GREYHOUND
Old 12-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210
Carl Wickman (Swedish) was having troubles selling Hupmobiles in Hibbing Minnesota, so, in 1914, he took his one remaining unsold (brand new ) 7 passenger car and started a bus company hauling the miners from Hibbing to Alice (another town) that was locally famous for its saloons.

In 1926, after a few name changes along the way, his company became known as GREYHOUND
You've got it, Dave.
Here's my story, a true story indeed. When I was about 14 I worked in a bodyshop for a guy named Wally Cich. This was in Duluth, Mn. My buddys family had some property in Virginia, Mn. that we used to hunt on and generally shoot anything that moved. One weekend while we were there he asked me if I wanted to see an old homestead where there was a really old car rusting away, so off we went. all that remained of the old homestead was the chimney and a capped well. There was an old car, way too long in length to be stock, sitting in the brush with a poplar tree growing through it. I told Wally about it at work the following Monday, he got excited and off we went the next weekend to see it. One of his best friends as a young man used to build these cars in his shop, and this was one of them. He told him of the car, Carl was the guys name, IIRC, (can't remember his last name, it may come to me) and they went to see it. It was too far gone to save but Carl remembered the car as one he built (stretched was about all they would do), a Model T touring, IIRC. Carl used to tell of having a few dollars to invest before the depression, Greyhound or Coca Cola were the 2 he considered, he chose Greyhound because he was working for them. He lost his investment, on the other hand, had he invested in Coke he would have been set for life. Old times, fun memories.

Last edited by dinger; 12-12-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
You've got it, Dave.
Here's my story, a true story indeed. When I was about 14 I worked in a bodyshop for a guy named Wally Cich. This was in Duluth, Mn. My buddys family had some property in Virginia, Mn. that we used to hunt on and generally shoot anything that moved. One weekend while we were there he asked me if I wanted to see an old homestead where there was a really old car rusting away, so off we went. all that remained of the old homestead was the chimney and a capped well. There was an old car, way too long in length to be stock, sitting in the brush with a poplar tree growing through it. I told Wally about it at work the following Monday, he got excited and off we went the next weekend to see it. One of his best friends as a young man used to build these cars in his shop, and this was one of them. He told him of the car, Carl was the guys name, IIRC, (can't remember his last name, it may come to me) and they went to see it. It was too far gone to save but Carl remembered the car as one he built (stretched was about all they would do), a Model T touring, IIRC. Carl used to tell of having a few dollars to invest before the depression, Greyhound or Coca Cola were the 2 he considered, he chose Greyhound because he was working for them. He lost his investment, on the other hand, had he invested in Coke he would have been set for life. Old times, fun memories.
That's a great story Dan, And being true makes it that much better,IMHO

Cole
Old 12-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:

Efficient engine

A few questions ago, there was a question about naming the first car to get 1 hp per cu inch.

I am thinking about the first vehicle with an engine that is so efficient that it yields more than 1.5 hp per cu inch. It is known to be reliable as an axe, and there have been millions of them sold.

What vehicle is it, and when did it first appear?
Old 12-14-2010, 07:46 AM

Last photo:

Wankel

Hey Dave, You've got to be thinking of the Wankel engine that Mazda called the Rotary engine. They first put it in a Cosmo as early as 1965 prototypes then in Familia's in 1967. Later in the Mazda RX cars in the US. When you convert the cc displacement to cubic inches they well exceed 1.5 hp/ci. olnolan
Old 12-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:

1.5 hp per inch

Actually - that's not the one I was thinking of. The one I am thinking of is a piston engine (not a "rotary club member" )
Old 12-14-2010, 07:55 PM

Last photo:

Stumped

STUMPED NOLAN

Tags
humor, trivia

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.