Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#4,451 ·
The first all metal bodied automobile was the Eastman Eletro-Cycle manufactured in 1897. It was built by H Jay Hayes and Henry F. Eastman. In 1902 the two re-organized into the Eastman Metallic Body Co. and became the nation’s first all-metal automobile body builders. In 1915 Hayes produced the first unibody automobile, the Ruler Frameless for the Ruler Automobile Co. Three thousand unit were slated to be buiilt but they went out of business in 19917. Only a handful were built. Hayes later went on to become a metal parts supplier for numorus automobile companies. Fenders to bodies. Good old Hector taught them all how to do it! GM, Ford, Dodge, Durant, Marmon, Rio, Star to name a few.
BB:thumbup::thumbup:

#4,457 · (Edited)
I came close!!! but was still off by quite a bit! I remembered from one of my dads old books from Chryslers I read years ago, Bud made steel railroad cars and made the Dodge!

My question is: when I was in high school (late 50s) one of my buddy's bought an electric motor driven super charger that could be adapted on any car for his flatty! It boosted his engine +60 hp on a dyno!! I'll make it fill in the blanks "O---h--se-"

"O---h--se- Engineering Corp" They even had a supercharger that ran on a solid propellant!

Older guys will get this quick!!

Jester:thumbup:

#4,458 ·
Actually The Budd Co built bodies for Dodge in 1916. Budd got his early training from working for Hayes. Hayes was also building bodies for Dodge. Both Hayes and Budd had the giant presses and tooling capable for stamping parts that some of the early automobile companies couldn't afford.

#4,460 ·
Budd has provided body parts (and sometimes whole bodies) for several auto producers since 1916 (they built the Dodge body, as mentioned), and still do (Budd Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). They didn't build a car themselves, would have been biting the hand that feeds them, but built rail cars. They have built several prototype and demonstration cars, one being the Budd XR-400, which was a much chopped/sectioned 1962 Rambler Classic. They made a sports car out of the sedate sedan and tried to sell AMC on it as a limited production attention getter. They did the same thing about a year earlier for Ford, cutting down a 57 T-bird two-seater body and giving it Falcon underpinnings. Most believe this was the inspiration for the Mustang.

I thought there was a Budd car, or at least a prototype, but apparently not...

#4,461 ·
I thought I was one of the "older guys" at 50, but apparently not... born in 61 (math says 51, but not until December!), I wasn't really into the car craze until the early 70s. Still got into a lot of 60s stuff, as that was readily available cheap in the mid 70s. I've always been partial to a lot of the 50s and 60s odd engineering stuff though...

#4,462 ·
Budd built bodies for Dodge before 1916.

A well-connected salesman from Detroit named Hugh Adams joined Budd in 1913 and brought with him some new investors as well as some new contracts. During the year Budd built truck bodies for Packard and Peerless, fenders for Cadillac, Franklin, Jeffery and Willys-Overland, and some stamped panels and interior trim for the Cincinnati Car Co. and the Pullman Mfg. Co. 1913 revenue totaled $574,000, a big improvement on the $6,000 received the previous year.

The following year Budd received another substantial order, 5,000 touring car bodies for John and Horace Dodge’s new automobile.

The Dodge’s all-metal bodies looked like any other from the outside, but when the interior panels and seating were removed, the novel all-metal construction quickly became apparent. A framework of stamped steel braces was attached using rivets to the outer bodywork, which was welded together in the usual manner. The body sides were attached to the metal floor, forming a one–piece all-metal structure to which the doors and seats were attached.

Also from"The history of Budd"

Budd's first big break came in 1914, when the Dodge brothers ordered 5,000 steel bodies for their new touring model. The sedan was so successful that Dodge placed a second order for 50,000 additional auto bodies and was thereafter Budd's largest customer until its acquisition in 1925 by Chrysler Corporation. Encouraged by this early success, Budd founded the Budd Wheel Company in 1916 to manufacture wire wheels, another move to eliminate wood from cars and trucks. During that time, Budd also entered into a joint effort with Michelin Company of France to market steel disc wheels in the United States. Budd's customer base increased steadily and by 1917, the company could boast such additional clients as Ford, Buick, Willys-Overland, and Studebaker.

#4,467 · (Edited)
You know I tried to google it and there isnt very much on the internet about it? I didn't realize it was so rare! But it created 5 lb.s constant boost when you hit the switch and at Detroit Dragway this little flatty was like a rocket stock cam with 3 little deuces ! He never had any trouble with it except for blown fuses once in a great while and scorched pistons every few months, and when he cruised around it was shut off!! You could hit the switch at any speed and it would throw you back in the seat!

Sorry I threw you guys a hard one! I really thought it would be easy:mwink: so I wouldn't have to keep coming to the computer to see if it was answered yet LOL:D Get out your old 50's pocket mags like "Rodding and Restyling" or "Hot Rod" Etc, They had full page ad's for them!

Jester:thumbup:

#4,470 ·
they made: Battery powered personnel vehicles Like the Amego, and cargo movers, among many other innovations he was in popular science magazine, the company still exists! I really didnt know the superchargers were that rare, I cant find any on the internet! But I did find the adds selling on e bay!

Boothboy, Your right!!:thumbup: did you find it in a pocket mag or on the internet?

Its really funny his superchargers were very good, I saw quite a few when I was young! but the electric one stuck in my mind. I asked about the solid propellent one on a thread quite a while back! with a firing pin that was on a rail at Detroit Dragway in the early 60's because I couldn't remember the name. I think now it was an "Oberhausen" I cant say for sure though its been so many years:confused: I would really like to know if anyone is still running any style of his chargers?

Jester

#4,471 · (Edited)
Here's a very short discussion on one that appeared on e-bay in 2005:
1957 Oberhausen Supercharger - THE H.A.M.B.

There is an electric supercharger made today, but they claim an average of 5% increase, up to 15 hp. Not much for $300-350. Says it produces 1 psi only at WOT (and from other sources that's tops, 0.5 psi is average). 1.2 hp, draws 62 amps. Looking at the test results it appears that it's only been used on 3.0L engines and smaller, which makes sense. Even 0.5 psi will make a slight difference at WOT on a small engine, but not much. 5 hp on a 100 hp engine, and maybe more like 2.5-3 hp. Put two on a V-8 and get maybe a 10 hp gain for only $600-700!
eRacing :: Products :: e-RAM Electric Supercharger :: 1psi

This is a good article -- gives positives but also explains the negatives of an electric supercharger.
Electric supercharger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The main problem with an electric driven supercharger is the amount of electric power needed. This on (http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0406tur_knight_turbo_electric_supercharger/viewall.html) has been around a while. Claims up to 10 psi, but only for a short time. It uses 24V -- you have to add a second battery and wire in a switching system that comes with the kit to keep the batteries charged. You can only run the thing for 20 seconds or less before the batteries are depleted enough it won't boost any more. Then you have to drive around until the batteries charge back up. Hope it has a circuit that cuts it out once the batteries are down so far, not so far it won't start back up! I read a bit about it on a discussion board and come to the same conclusion on my own -- for a few seconds just get a cheater 50-100 hp nitrous kit. Cheaper in the short term for sure. If you use it much you might run some costs up in nitrous, but only a little at a time.

#4,476 ·
That was a great movie, and yes that supercharger had a shell just like that but bigger in diameter and length and it was fired after the car left the line or any time you wanted it to kick in! Like I said I never saw anything like it again! I would really like to see that Oberhausen solid propellent supercharger!! It goes to show not everything's on the internet LOL!

Jester

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.