Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#6,189 ·
So I'm thinking.. I'm going to base my questions or a question once in a while.
On the mechanical side of things. I don't care if some one Google's for info, just putting it out there so were clear.
OK. What dose a para-diddle (a percussionist term) and most V8's have in common?
For example a SBC.
If you guys aren't game for that type of trivia let me know I've got some others.:pimp:

#6,190 ·
I don't know what a "para-diddle" is but I am going to go with a rhythm going from many different drums never hitting two at the same time just as a motor plugs fire?

Brian

#6,196 ·
These strikers are from a Chevy "AD" 1947-1954 pickup. Why the three? What applications where they used? And note that they are not all the same side. The two on the right are for the right door the one on the left is for the left door. I couldn't find the right side version of the one on the left. So just look at the function of them not how that one on the left is a different side.

Brian

#6,199 ·
They are all original, and in fact taken off trucks before there were even repos available. Nope, there is a distinct reason they are different. They aren't different because they are just different, they have different functional differences.

Brian

#6,200 ·
I looked at my trucks again my 53 has the ones on right with slotted adjusters ,,the rest are 51 50 and 49 they have round holes with slots in door frame the 54 does not have these on it at this time but from door frames they appear to be slotted type latch like on right ,.probably not what you are looking for ,

#6,203 ·
Well BB, they do not all fit on all the cabs as pointed out, the two on the right fit on the later cabs while the one on the left is for the early cabs. Why is this and why the middle one?

Brian

#6,206 ·
Nope, there was no design flaw and they all are from the doors of pickups. I'll give you all a hint.

The cab where the striker mounted changed when the door handles went from swing to push button. There is your hint, but why the one in the middle?

Brian

#6,207 ·
The one on the left is from a earlier AD truck. The one on the right is for a later AD truck. (All within 1947-1954.) 51 would be the last year for the early unit and 52 would be the first year for the newer unit. The exterier handles went from a pull type to a push button
The one in the center is a later unit that has been modified to work on a earlier truck.

BB :thumbup:

#6,208 ·
Nope, you are missing the point but are on the right track. The one in the middle won't bolt onto an early cab that had swing handles. It will only bolt on the later cab that was made for push button handles.

So what is with the middle one?:D

Brian

#6,209 ·
Brian your right. I don't understand what your looking for. All three have the exact same function. To hold the door closed. We have a early and late design that are different because the latching mechanism is different because the out side door handle is different. ( Note classic run on sentence ). Now as to the middle one, I'm working on it. The middle one has not been modified?

BB :thumbup::confused:

#6,211 ·
Nope, I pulled it off an original truck. Any more of a hint will surely give it away.

"The one in the middle won't bolt onto an early cab that had swing handles. It will only bolt on the later cab that was made for push button handles.

So what is with the middle one?"

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.