Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#578 ·
What exactly do you mean by "fender skirts", I don't think you are on the right track. I think you saw their nick name "Skirtless" but they have nothing to do with what we now know as "fender skirts".

I'll give it to you being you found the idea at least. :D

This is the only photo I could find of them. The front of these fenders looked like what we have come to know as a 33-34 Ford fender but the back half looked like a 32 with the sweeping line down to the running board and no "skirt" behind the wheel!

Like I said, when I was a kid and worked at that resto shop, we had a full set of them!

Brian

#579 ·
MARTINSR said:
What exactly do you mean by "fender skirts", I don't think you are on the right track. I think you saw their nick name "Skirtless" but they have nothing to do with what we now know as "fender skirts".
Yeah, I was guessing that they had some kind of provision on the wheel lips for securing traditional style fender skirts or something. :rolleyes:

Interesting bit of trivia though, I may have gone my whole life without ever knowing that. :thumbup:
MARTINSR said:
I'll give it to you being you found the idea at least. :D
Thanks.

Next Question:

What was the first American car to have a points style ignition system?

#582 · (Edited)
Hi,
What car had pocket doors?
What American car was made with pocket doors they slid into the front fenders when they were opened.
This is a great thread I have learned quite a bit & the storiesare the best.
Thanks for sharing,
Rich
Hint This car co also made a J car that was named after one of the founders, and a version of that car was sold by sears.

#586 · (Edited)
I think the car was a Chaparral, no wing but some kind of evac system for holding the car down on the track, I can't think of the other reason, but is this much correct?
Rich
I found the car I think it was Sputafuoco Chaparral can-am 2j it had a snowmobile engine driving two large ducted fans & a Plexiglas skirt around the car to suck air out of the car & create down force banned because the skirt moved up & down to conform to the track, all movable aerodynamic items were banned

#589 · (Edited)
Trivia

Yes- a fan-forced "suction" system to "pull" the car down onto the road and an automatic trans were the two unique items of the Chaparrals raced by Jim Hall's team out of Texas

It seemed that no-one else could make an automatic live through the rigors of road racing. Some cfolks suggested that the secret was that Hall was using a top-secret trans fluid, while the jokers suggested that it was peanut butter that was in use - spawning the nickname "Peanut Butterglide" for the trans in it.

Earlier Chaparrals used a moveable wing, operated by a third pedal where the clutch would normally be. When the moving wing was banned, the giant suction downforce fans (powered by the snowmobile engine) were tried instead. Creative, yes. Legal - no.

Your turn to "stump the panel", Richard!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.