Trivia thread - Page 241 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,231 Times in 1,084 Posts
Booth, Portland huh? Have you ever been to the Evergreen Museum? It is pretty darn close to Portland! http://www.evergreenmuseum.org/the-museum/ I thought it was a very good museum, we ate lunch under the wing of a C47 that was used in D-Day. They have the Spruce Goose and a SR-71, they have some Japanese stuff too. One that really got me, one of those "moments" I will never forget. I was looking at a chunk of a fuselage from a Zero I believe as I remember what was pulled up off the bottom of the ocean somewhere. Anyway I was looking at the pieces on the inside (it is torn in half so you can see inside very easy) and all these small pieces of aluminum that you or I could make in our garage in minutes. Just a bunch of small pieces of aluminum riveted together. And I had this amazing feeling come over me, some "Rosy the Riveter" (I am assuming they had woman doing that like here) placed those rivets! I had an odd human connection with the person who placed those rivets. They weren't the "enemy" it was a human, just doing as they were told. Anyway, I really liked the place and HIGHLY recommend you make it being you will be so close.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 10:28 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Booth, Portland huh? Have you ever been to the Evergreen Museum? It is pretty darn close to Portland! http://www.evergreenmuseum.org/the-museum/ I thought it was a very good museum, we ate lunch under the wing of a C47 that was used in D-Day. They have the Spruce Goose and a SR-71, they have some Japanese stuff too. One that really got me, one of those "moments" I will never forget. I was looking at a chunk of a fuselage from a Zero I believe as I remember what was pulled up off the bottom of the ocean somewhere. Anyway I was looking at the pieces on the inside (it is torn in half so you can see inside very easy) and all these small pieces of aluminum that you or I could make in our garage in minutes. Just a bunch of small pieces of aluminum riveted together. And I had this amazing feeling come over me, some "Rosy the Riveter" (I am assuming they had woman doing that like here) placed those rivets! I had an odd human connection with the person who placed those rivets. They weren't the "enemy" it was a human, just doing as they were told. Anyway, I really liked the place and HIGHLY recommend you make it being you will be so close.

Brian
I actually went there last year. Quite impressive. I missed Hughes Hercules while it was in Long Beach (I only lived in the San Fernando Valley) and wanted to see it. A number of years previous I stumbled across the H-4 while it was in storage across the street form the now museum. Talk about doing a double take! I knew it was up there but I wasn't looking for it.
Another good one is the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field in Seattle. If you haven't been there it's a must. I preferred it over the Evergreen ( but they didn't have the Goose!) I'm fortunate that my business takes me all over the USA and I can do a lot of Museums. Airplanes, Cars and yes Trains also.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:19 AM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

The Air Museum at Tillamook, Ore is also worth doing - lodged in a WW ll Navy patrol blimp hangar. Quite a lot of good stuff to see. If you take the tour of the Boeing plant In Everett, do not bother with the "future of flight" - according to Boeing's displays the future of flight involves no further developments whatsoever and the "Dreamliner" will still be state of the art forever (If that's what they actually think - sell your Boeing shares!)
Old 06-15-2012, 07:15 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

I've never been to the Tillamook museum and every time I went to take the tour at the Boeing plant some one was on strike and they don't give tour when the workers are on strike. All of the great museums are on my list!
Old 06-15-2012, 07:18 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

CUSTOM10 how about a question? It's your turn. If not somebody jump in with one.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:06 AM

Last photo:

That's ok give him some time, remember we have that 24 hours. I know it's a long time when you like myself are chomping at the bit. But he got it and should be able to have a little time to post his question.

I LOVE this thread!

Brian
Old 06-15-2012, 08:34 AM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Hey guys I am back. Thanks for the wait time, I will post soon with a question for ya, give me a bit more time to think something up thanks
Old 06-15-2012, 09:00 AM

Last photo:

Man what a lucky guess on that contraption, who knew.

The closest thing to aviation history in my next of the woods is a WW2 training facility close by. Apparently the powers that be thought that our geography closely resembled that of the WW2 European battle areas and they set up shop, all that is left is one of the hangers:

http://www.quill-lakes.com/dafoe/airbase_history.html

Now onto an question.

What notable hotrodder worked his way through the early days in SCCA racing as a driver, taking some class victories also what specific engine made it possible for him to kick butt on the track?
Old 06-16-2012, 08:10 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Was this guy a notable hot rodder before he started racing or was he a race driver before and now builds hot rods? I would venture to say that every race driver started out in hot rods of some kind and then started racing.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:21 AM

Last photo:

Vic Edelbrock?

Brian
Old 06-16-2012, 08:54 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Max Balchowsky 427 ford
Old 06-16-2012, 09:15 AM

Last photo:

OHHHHHHHH, Max Balchowsky BUICK NAILHEAD!

Brian

Old 06-16-2012, 09:34 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Actually Max built a half dozen or so "Old Yellar's" with a lot of different engines. He also used Chevy.s and Old's. You'll like this pic!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old+yaller1178744411.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	66108  
Old 06-16-2012, 09:48 AM

Last photo:

Hi guys. Nope he started racing first then realized the potential of a big block.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:58 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy
Actually Max built a half dozen or so "Old Yellar's" with a lot of different engines. He also used Chevy.s and Old's. You'll like this pic!
Yes but the best ones were the Buick powered Ol Yellers. And I have to say, his real favorites were the Buicks, he loved the Buick motor and made a lot of intakes and such for them. I had the good fortune of spending some time with Max as my brother being a Buick nailhead nut had befriended Max. Max gave him all kinds of things over the years. I ended up with these injector stacks.

When my brother put his Buick in the Grand National Roadster show Max came to see it and walking around with this guy was a trip, he knew EVERYONE in the hot rod and custom world I'll tell you that, and movie stars too. He was a character if there ever was one, he wore is "dress" coveralls that day.

But alas, Max isn't the right answer anyway.

Brian

Tags
humor, trivia

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.