Trivia thread - Page 244 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 11:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Garrell, hit us with a question, it's time for me to hit the sack. Dan

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012, 03:00 AM

Last journal entry: Garrell's rides
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Trvia thread

Four of you have turned this into Auto Genious Thread, I am truly impressed at some of the details and facts you know and some of them I don't believe you can find in reference books. I believe if I asked a question about the boat that Washington crossed the Delaware in that Brian had a chance to ride in it once. Has anyone ever checked his profile to see just how old he is and I think we should have Boothboy take a visual verification test because I think he actualy is a computer! No really I am impresed with you guys.
Question: What was the first Corvette's body panels built from and why did the decision be made to use this material?
Wait until I get out of the way before you jump in and answer this one .

Garrell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 05:50 AM

Last photo:

Corvette Trivia

We have to leave pretty early for a Doctors appointment so if you think you have the correct answer your are wrong until I get back.
Here is a bonus question I was going to ask once and I forgot the answer and I still don't remember it and I have googled until my googler is worn out so this is one to see if anyone knows the answer, I read it in an article once but it is in one of those folders in my mind.
Question: How many components are there in a Gen 1 Chevy block including heads, intake etc now remember this is not the oficial question and I don't know the answer, this one is for brownie points.

Garrell
Old 06-18-2012, 07:50 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,081 Times in 964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrell.770
Four of you have turned this into Auto Genious Thread, I am truly impressed at some of the details and facts you know and some of them I don't believe you can find in reference books. I believe if I asked a question about the boat that Washington crossed the Delaware in that Brian had a chance to ride in it once. Has anyone ever checked his profile to see just how old he is and I think we should have Boothboy take a visual verification test because I think he actualy is a computer! No really I am impresed with you guys.
Question: What was the first Corvette's body panels built from and why did the decision be made to use this material?
Wait until I get out of the way before you jump in and answer this one .

Garrell
Well if there is one thing I know it's Motorama cars. The first Corvette (designated "EX-52" Shop order 1737 in the styling dept.) was simply built from Fiberglas as ever Vette after it up until the mid Seventies or early eighties when they went to SMC (Sheet moulded compound). It was made from fiberglas simply because it was easy to form like a clay model but into a real car. They actually planned on making it from Metal and planned on putting them into production before the first Motorama show it was in but when they saw such a big response they immediately began building them in fiberglas. That's "Fiberglas" with one S as the manufacturer called it.

If this isn't correct I am going to be blown away as I won't be the Motorama know it all I thought I was and will be humiliated in front of my friends and family. Though I admit my memory isn't not what it was and I had to go to my favorite book on the subject for some details.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 06-18-2012 at 08:03 AM. Reason: I forgot the "E" in "EX52"
Old 06-18-2012, 09:19 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Well if there is one thing I know it's Motorama cars. The first Corvette (designated "EX-52" Shop order 1737 in the styling dept.) was simply built from Fiberglas as ever Vette after it up until the mid Seventies or early eighties when they went to SMC (Sheet moulded compound). It was made from fiberglas simply because it was easy to form like a clay model but into a real car. They actually planned on making it from Metal and planned on putting them into production before the first Motorama show it was in but when they saw such a big response they immediately began building them in fiberglas. That's "Fiberglas" with one S as the manufacturer called it.

If this isn't correct I am going to be blown away as I won't be the Motorama know it all I thought I was and will be humiliated in front of my friends and family. Though I admit my memory isn't not what it was and I had to go to my favorite book on the subject for some details.

Brian
Of course there's always differences in some of the answers. After reading Mr. Martinsr's answer I beg to differ! The first concept Corvette, the car that was displayed at the New York Autorama, that I personally viewed as a child at the San Francisco Autorama, that was used to pull parts from for the first years production vehicles ( some 300 to 315 depending on who you want to believe), that is still in existence and is on display at Kerbeck Chevrolet in Atlantic City, that was the actual test bed for the 265 V-8, that was built in 1952, is of course the EX-122! The EX 52 was actually called the Corvair and hardly bears any resemblance to the EX-122.
Fiberglas was used as a weight saving material so the car would be able to compete with the European Sports cars. Also it was a media that was easier to work with for some of the curves on the vehicle.
As to your bones question, I know the answer to it also! How many parts are used in the Gen 1 small block? Answer: All of them! Ha Haaa!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EX-122.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	66155   Click image for larger version

Name:	vinplate.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	66156   Click image for larger version

Name:	waldorf Corvette EX-52.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	66157  
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2012, 09:27 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrell.770
We have to leave pretty early for a Doctors appointment so if you think you have the correct answer your are wrong until I get back.
Here is a bonus question I was going to ask once and I forgot the answer and I still don't remember it and I have googled until my googler is worn out so this is one to see if anyone knows the answer, I read it in an article once but it is in one of those folders in my mind.
Question: How many components are there in a Gen 1 Chevy block including heads, intake etc now remember this is not the oficial question and I don't know the answer, this one is for brownie points.

Garrell
The usual answer about the fiberglass body was it was for the light weight. I believe the end result is heavier using fiberglass, though and the reason 'glass was used was to form the compound curves easier.

On the SBC engine question, are you counting a head as one part, or will all the parts that go into the head (or oil pump for instance) count individually?

Odd that a car numbered as being "122" would precede a car number "52". The rest of the article on #122 is here.

Last edited by cobalt327; 06-18-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:07 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
The usual answer about the fiberglass body was it was for the light weight. I believe the end result is heavier using fiberglass, though and the reason 'glass was used was to form the compound curves easier.

On the SBC engine question, are you counting a head as one part, or will all the parts that go into the head (or oil pump for instance) count individually?

Odd that a car numbered as being "122" would precede a car number "52". The rest of the article on #122 is here.
I poked around a little more and believe that Ex 52 was a chassis number rather than a vehicle number.

"Rumors are rampant about the whereabouts of the Nomad as other GM Motorama cars make appearances at auction events throughout the states. Unfortunately, the best educated guesses are that the Corvette Nomad was destroyed by orders of GM in the mid to late 50's. The 1954 Corvette Nomad was a static display rolling model, constructed primarily of fiberglass and built on the first Corvette chassis, serial number EX-52, which was lengthened and became the 1954 Corvette Nomad StationWagon Show Car #857."
I also found a reference that said the the EX 52 referred to the fact that much of the chassis including frame came from 1952 components. I don't know if I buy that but it again points to the chassis rather than the whole vehicle
Old 06-18-2012, 10:17 AM

Last photo:

I am still a little confused on the EX52 vs EX122 being the EX52 is called a "Corvette" in my books and was destroyed. But the good part is, the actual name has nothing to do with Garrell's question so if I am right about what it was made from and why, which I think I am, I still win the game.

Brian
Old 06-18-2012, 10:29 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I am still a little confused on the EX52 vs EX122 being the EX52 is called a "Corvette" in my books and was destroyed. But the good part is, the actual name has nothing to do with Garrell's question so if I am right about what it was made from and why, which I think I am, I still win the game.

Brian
See my last post.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:29 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy
See my last post.
I'm sorry, yes I did read that and that is now that I think of it the way I had learned it. Funny thing was I had originally put EX122 which was in my head then went back and changed it when I grabbed a book. That's what I get for poor study.

Brian
Old 06-18-2012, 11:47 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

No I think that this stuff was so long ago and the people who have written about it rely on what few surviving documents can be found and what other people can remember. That doesn't mean its always right. But it makes good reading! What I love about this thread is that doing the reaserch fills in more of the story about things I knew a little about. I never heard about the EX 52 before you mentioned it but I knew about the EX 122 because I ran into it a dozen questions ago! ain't the internet great! Although before the internet I use to do things> @*%&$#(*^ internet!
Old 06-18-2012, 11:48 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Oh yeah, I don't know if I'm right or wrong but it sure is fun!
Old 06-18-2012, 01:54 PM

Last photo:

Trivia thread

Fiberglass was probably easier to work with but hold on Brian that was not the reason a decision was made to use fiberglass, at least I asked a question that has created a lot of dialogue. Now the show car that was shown at Motorama could have been built with fiberglass for convenience but the actual reason was totally diferent,
The article I read about how many components in a small block gen 1 Chevy counted block heads,oil pan, gaskets everything, the article was actualy about how many fewer components there was in GEN 2 engine. Remember I don't remember the answer but I thought the genious team could do some research and find it but I have looked for two weeks and could find nothing.

Garrell
Old 06-18-2012, 02:25 PM

Last photo:

I am dying to hear this one!

Brian
Old 06-18-2012, 03:36 PM

Last photo:

Trivia thread

Thats not a concesson is it, all of you will have to tell me when you cry uncle!

Garrell

Tags
humor, trivia

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.